PCOM Exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senseigmg

IR Fellow 2019-2020
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be doing a 4 week elective at PCOM, but would also like to get more exposure to working with ENT staff. Which other rotations would help me to do this (SICU, allergy, etc)? Also, at which hospital?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will be doing a 4 week elective at PCOM, but would also like to get more exposure to working with ENT staff. Which other rotations would help me to do this (SICU, allergy, etc)? Also, at which hospital?

Thanks!

Why would you waste another audition rotation when you could go to another program? You would be better off using the month to rotate elsewhere. I have found that PCOM is the most selective program in choosing candidates to interview of the DO programs. I would not risk spending two months there and not even getting an interview. Although it really is a great programs.

I would be using one of my other required courses to be there (intensive care, inpatient medicine(oto/allergy counts))

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

My recommendations would be:
1. Neurosurgery
2. Allergy/Immunology
3. Plastics, especially if you can learn from the surgeons who do rhinoplasty or facelifts.
4. SICU -- nothing to do with ENT, but a tremendous learning experience. I took this during my intern year as well as one of my 4th year electives. Second to ENT, best learning experience ever in medical school.

That's speaking from the MD perspective...

My recommendations would be:
1. Neurosurgery
2. Allergy/Immunology
3. Plastics, especially if you can learn from the surgeons who do rhinoplasty or facelifts.
4. SICU -- nothing to do with ENT, but a tremendous learning experience. I took this during my intern year as well as one of my 4th year electives. Second to ENT, best learning experience ever in medical school.

That's speaking from the MD perspective...

Why do you recommend neurosurgery for future ENT's? I've heard this before several times from attendings. I can see why allergy and plastics are useful but why NS?

Why do you recommend neurosurgery for future ENT's? I've heard this before several times from attendings. I can see why allergy and plastics are useful but why NS?

Skull base procedures (anterior and posterior). If you are stuck in a place where NS does 90% spine 10% skull then it's not very helpful for you...

In many institutions, otolaryngologists and neurosurgeons have a very collaborative relationship.

Skull base procedures: anterior, middle and posterior fossa tumors, CSF leaks, and general knowledge by vicinity.