PCOM - Georgia Campus Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys missed the secret compartment in the binder that has our class schedules, financial aid award, and book list????

Dang...I am behind the curve since I Just got my acceptance. Is that stuff in the binder?

Members don't see this ad.

So I asked about the binder last night, went through all of Nucleus, and wouldn't you know... it came in the mail today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not much going on, on this thread. Who is excited about school?!

Yes sir! You know I wonder how many people of different ethnic backgrounds will be in our class ( I assume quite a few). Just a quick joke....when I was in pharmacy school my biochem professor on our last day of class made me and two friends of mine stand up. It was his last yr teaching and he stated that it was a pleasure to teach for all those years, but what really got him was that he had the opportunity to teach Gandhi, Mohamad, and Shakespear all in one class! (hence our last names) LOL.

Hey y'all, my name is Dave Domino, a recent Ga-PCOM graduate (Class of 2010!!). As most of you know, I am renting out my 3-BR townhouse as I will be heading northbound to Detroit, Michigan, for my General Surgery Residency. It's been a great place to call home for myself and several Ga-PCOM classmates over the last 4 years! UPDATE: one room is rented and I am looking for 2 more to share. If you are interested in stopping by to see the place, please let me know either by email or cell.

Hope everyone has safe travels to Georgia and enjoy this summer before August rolls around!! Seriously, plan a fun trip or something fun before you get rolling come August. I wish I had! :) I am also happy to answer any questions y'all may have re: Ga-PCOM and what to expect in your first year.
Please see attached information and I can send pictures upon request!
I look forward to hearing from you. Please contact me at the number below if you have any questions.
Thanks!
Dave

TOWNHOUSE INFORMATION:

Address: 316 Creek Manor Way, Suwanee, Ga 30024

My Contact Number and Email: (404) 862-8367; [email protected]

What is for Rent?: 3 bedrooms (12- mo leases - rooms available starting 7/1/10 - start date negotiable)

How far is it from Ga-PCOM: only 10-12 minute drive to school! (We have a great route to school that cuts off most traffic lights - please don't go by mapquest)

Amenities:
1.) Brand new, spacious town home with new appliances, kitchenware, etc. (fridge, dishwasher, micro, washer/dryer)
2.) 2-Car Garage and attic for storage.
3.) Spacious living room to relax/study.
4.) Quiet neighborhood - great for studying at home
5.) Outdoor back patio with natural setting - great for studying outside.
6.) Wood-burning fireplace - great during the winter mos
7.) Easy accessibility to I-85, Kroger, Publix, Walmart Supercenter, Gold's Gym, Mall of GA, and several running/biking trails of Suwanee
8.) Parking (driveway and garage – up to 4 spots!)
9.) Safe: townhouse is located in a safe, family-oriented cul-de-sac neighborhood - so no through traffic. (Note: The west side of I-85, where my townhouse is located, is the safest area of Gwinnett to live.)

Monthly Rent:
1.) Master BR - (includes private bath and huge walk-in closet) - $550/mo (+ splitting of all utilities 3 ways)
2.) Bedroom #1 - $450/mo (+ splitting of all utilities 3 ways) - RENTED
3.) Bedroom #2 - $450/mo (+ splitting of all utilities 3 ways)

Hi guys.

I'll be down in a few weeks to look at property. Whats a good neighborhood to live in. Where do most other people live?

Thanks!

Hey guys, just wanted to see what I need to do in terms of financial aid. Obviously, FAFSA is complete, but do I need to fill out any other forms such as those on their FA site? Background check done. I am assuming all this will be in the binder when it arrives? Thanks

Hey guys, just wanted to see what I need to do in terms of financial aid. Obviously, FAFSA is complete, but do I need to fill out any other forms such as those on their FA site? Background check done. I am assuming all this will be in the binder when it arrives? Thanks

You should receive another packet of papers in the mail (separate from the binder), 7-8 different colored sheets if I remember correctly. These papers include the financial aid application for PCOM which you can fill out and mail back.

The alternative, however, is to log onto nucleus after you get your binder and do the financial aid application electronically. I think there's even a sheet inside the financial aid envelope that recommends this method over snail mail.

After submitting all the papers to financial aid, is there anything else I need to do? I'm not sure if I should be expecting anything from them saying I'm approved for the direct loan and gradplus loan or will I just get them come disbursement time.

The required book list is available on the new student page of Nucleus. If you are an accepted student, log in and print out a copy. I bought all the books on the list. If purchased new, expect to pay about $1,200.

If you are a recently accepted member of the class and don't yet have your binder that provides your Nucleus log in information, send me your e-mail by PM and I'll e-mail it to you.

The required book list is available on the new student page of Nucleus. If you are an accepted student, log in and print out a copy. I bought all the books on the list. If purchased new, expect to pay about $1,200.

If you are a recently accepted member of the class and don't yet have your binder that provides your Nucleus log in information, send me your e-mail by PM and I'll e-mail it to you.

Mine seems to be broken, the sheet just says "TBD" for all fields

guys, you probably want to hold off on buying books. dont spend a fortune on more material than you could ever read. take advantage of the online library, and talk to other students ahead of you to get a feel for which books to buy. most of the time they can be supplemented with shorter, cheaper, and easier to understand board review or high yield books. also, anything you will be tested on is in your ppt. files from class.

I missed the financial aid workshop earlier this year. Does anybody know what our cost of attendance is supposed to be? Also, are y'all getting paper financial aid letters or just receiving awards on nucleus?

Hi everyone, I am trying to rent out rooms in my house to GAPCOM students and still have 2 rooms with unsigned contracts. I am willing to cut the prices some since it is so late in the game. For details please see my post from above 1-2 months ago. If you are interested or if you just have some questions or want to see some pictures please let me know.

Brent
[email protected]

What are the selection factors for addmision to this school?

What are the selection factors for addmision to this school?

Same as every other medical school. GPA, MCAT, well-rounded person, embrace the D.O. philosophy. There is a preference for southern students as the school mission is to produce physicians to practice in the South in primary care.

I suggest that you read the information on the website.

Good luck.

hi, i'm interviewing at PCOM-GA soon; any nice/cheap hotels nearby? (less than 100$ preferably!)

hi, i'm interviewing at PCOM-GA soon; any nice/cheap hotels nearby? (less than 100$ preferably!)

There are couple of hotels available around the school. The one that in my mind is Hampton inn in sugarloaf parkway (5 min drive to school). Not sure about the exact price but should be less than $100 for sure, and it has discover mills mall right across the street so you can eat shop if you want. Anyway, good luck on your interview!