This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

leo_thelion

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all! I’m grateful to be accepted to a school + on waitlists and was hoping to get advice on my current status. I am currently Accepted to ICOM; APS/A for the Class of 2031 at RVU-SU & WVSOM; Waitlisted at LMU-DCOM, ACOM, and IllinoisCOM. My goal is to start this year. Based on factors like program establishment and match outcomes, I’ve narrowed my list down to 3 schools (including my only A) that I feel may be the best fit, and I would really appreciate your input on these choices. I’m from Chicago and enjoy the outdoors. While I’ll miss city life, I hope to ultimately match back into an urban area ideally in Chicago, FL, or the NE. I only have experience in EM, but am open to other specialties, except for Peds/FM.

Assuming that I get accepted for the Class of 2030...

WVSOM- Lewisburg, West Virginia:
  • ~$57k OOS tuition
  • New curriculum (flex weeks, golden weekends, etc.)
  • Small-town setting with nearby grocery store, strong sense of community, and hiking
  • ~10hr drive / ~2hr flight; airport ~10mins from campus
  • Statewide clinical rotations
  • CONS: I’ve heard the curriculum may not be strongly geared toward board prep with PhD profs asking niche exam questions. Recorded lectures and less in-person time. Graded curriculum (could be a pro or con).
ACOM- Dothan, Alabama:
  • ~$61k OOS tuition + would be grandfathered into Grad+Loans
  • Small-town
  • Mayo Clinic affiliate
  • Strong board prep resources (UWorld, TrueLearn, Pathoma, First Aid)
  • Rotations in Alabama and Florida
  • ~13hr drive / ~5hr connecting flight; airport ~20mins from campus
  • CONS: I’ve been hearing concerns about remediation, overlap between Anatomy and Molecular Medicine, and a graded curriculum.
Current A:

ICOM- Boise, Idaho:
  • $70K tuition
  • Many 3rd party resources +apple distinguished
  • Research opportunities at ISU/ help in finding research
  • I have a friend who is a current M1--> connection
  • Groceries nearby/outdoor activities
  • ~4hr flight; airport ~20mins from campus
  • CONS: Big class size, rotations could be anywhere, graded, etc.

In comparison to ICOM, I think WVSOM & ACOM make most sense financially, but I am not sure between these 2. What do y'all think based on my current situation?

Any input from current students/graduates would be great, thank you! 🙂
 
Last edited: