PCOM Housing - When to start looking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCgirl128

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in my deposit to PCOM the first week in December and am currently waiting to receive more information on housing, orientation etc. How soon should I begin to look for an apartment in Philly? I live in RI so I will have to plan a trip to go down there and find some places. When do most people start signing leases etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on what you plan on doing the summer before M1 determines when you should sign a lease. If you want to work most of the summer I would say move in August 1st or so. That will give you a week to get settled before orientation. I would start looking for housing in May or so. PCOM will send you a wealth of information sometime before that. There is plenty of good housing in the area so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Plenty of housing, but look EARLY.

I suggest making a trip down and looking at a few places...then find out which ones will have vacancies when you want to move in.

Remember Philly is a big college town...everyone moving down here in August creates a traffic jam. And the people who are moving out of the dorms will have a head start because they will be in by June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just moved to Philly this past september. Finding housing right as school starts is hard as everyone is transitioning back from the summer.

I would begin to ask yourself a few questions though:
1)Do you want to live close enough to campus to walk/ride a bike?
If so, you should be looking around the mainline area.
2)If you prefer to drive, depend on public transportation, or car pool then you can also consider the city in addition to Mainline area. Do you have a car?

Second, other than going to school do you prefer to be walking distance to coffee shops, grocery stores, and other venues or could you care less?

Third, budget? Roomate or not? Pets? Significant other and their needs?

So these are a lot of things to start thinking about. I personally live in Center City, about a 20 minute ride (if I don't get stuck in traffic) to PCOM. I like living in the city and I thought about where and how I like to spend my time studying, etc when I am not on campus. I live around the corner from a non-starbucks coffee shop (yes, they do exist!) which is open late (midnoght usually) and has free wireless available. Also I am about a 4 block walk to both a whole foods and superfresh grocery, and a 15 minute walk to reading terminal market for fresh produce/meats. Pus I can get to anywhere in the city by cab or on my bike (when I am not afraid of usinig it. :D ).

If you decide to come down to Philly to start exploring the area, which I would highly reccomend, please PM me. I should be able to host you for a few nights so you can start getting your bearings.

Congrats on getting accepted! I hope my acceptance is on its way soon!
Take care,
Marcia

there was a recently a huge thread on this very topic so do a quick search and you'll find lots of information :thumbup: