PCOM Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notnarcsDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering when the most recent batch of interview offers came from PCOM?? I submitted my secondary the first week of November (I retook the MCAT in August). I am thinking that I should have been reviwed by now, and am getting nervous that I may have been rejected. Anyone who has recently been offered interviews, please reply with when the offer was made, and when you submitted secondaries. Thanks!!!! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM tends to take its time with out of staters (non-PA and non DE) and people who submit later.

Members don't see this ad :)
notnarcsDO said:
Just wondering when the most recent batch of interview offers came from PCOM?? I submitted my secondary the first week of November (I retook the MCAT in August). I am thinking that I should have been reviwed by now, and am getting nervous that I may have been rejected. Anyone who has recently been offered interviews, please reply with when the offer was made, and when you submitted secondaries. Thanks!!!! :scared:

Hey notnarcs

I was complete 10/04 and was notified recently of an interview for Jan/Feb

JonnyG said:
PCOM tends to take its time with out of staters (non-PA and non DE) and people who submit later.
Agreed...I'm from NY and didn't have my app. completely submitted w/ everything until mid November.....I recieved an interview in early February....be patient...(but def call to dbl check that everything is complete w/ your app and that it is being reviewed)

Yep they do take a little while with application stuff. I also would say call them as much as you can. If PCOM is your #1 choice tell them so. I turned in my primary app mid september, secondary was (sent oct 28th)complete november 10, and received an interview invite (dec 14th) two days before thanksgiving. I call them and told them in the beginning to look out for my application. Things have been going smoothly so far.

Their process time varies tremendously. My primary applications were complete with all eleven schools I applied to by June 8th, 2005. My secondary with PCOM-PA was complete June 24th, 2005, and I did not receive an interview invite until November 9th, 2005. My interview is not even until January 19th, 2006. I have not heard anything from PCOM-GA. I am a NY state resident with a 3.6 overall GPA, 3.45 Science GPA, 3.5 Graduate GPA, and a 26 on the MCAT. I was not expecting much from any schools, but after eight interview invites, I was surprised I had not heard from them.

All schools are different; all applicants are different. The right school for you will see the potential within you. I do have to agree, though, if PCOM is at the top of your list, call them and tell them! Keep your name in their heads!

I have been complete since the end of october (was actually complete a lot earlier but they didn't realize it (I sent my second in at the beginning of september) and have not heard a peep since then, except when I called recently they said that I am complete and that they interview through march or april (i can't remember which)... with a 30, and 3.3 sci gpa/3.5 overall... i thought that I would hear something by now, though I am a KS resident... who knows, this process is so random!

notnarcsDO said:

They had my application complete for nearly a month and a half and did not notice it until I called them. If you really want to go there, I would recommend calling them at least once a week until your application gets completed

Do they send out an email or snail mail notification when you are complete?

*edit* And how long should we wait after sending in our secondary to call and verify we are complete, as some of you have said they did not realize that you were complete until you called?

already did about 3 weeks ago, i am complete

notnarcsDO said:

My secondary was submitted 10/24, they said they recieved all of my information on 11/4 and I was offered an interview on 11/9 for January 25th.
Stick in there.

Jamers said:
My secondary was submitted 10/24, they said they recieved all of my information on 11/4 and I was offered an interview on 11/9 for January 25th.
Stick in there.

I dont understand why some people get offers so quickly. I have been 100%complete since early september and still have not been offered an interview. This school would probably be my first choice if they were to offer an interview. I know it is not me because I have been accepted to two other schools. I called them the other day and they told me my file was still complete and waiting to be reviewed. When are they ever going to review it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that PCOM favors PA residents - actually I know this. I got accepted there and in the packet I received from them it said that they aim to accept something around 70% of PA residents. When I went on my interview there in November, there were only 2 of us (out of about 12 interviewees) that were from out of state.

tara14 said:
I think that PCOM favors PA residents - actually I know this. I got accepted there and in the packet I received from them it said that they aim to accept something around 70% of PA residents. When I went on my interview there in November, there were only 2 of us (out of about 12 interviewees) that were from out of state.

Most likely true, but, then again, a few schools do that. VCOM only wants residents from the Appliac. mountain chain. UMDNJ accepts about 2% out of state. I wouldn't doubt PCOM is like that as well. However, don't loose hope, they do interview close to 600 people. Actually, just looked it up now, out of state acceptance, for last year, was 7.1%. They interviewed 416 out-of-staters and accepted 212 of them. They actually interviwed less in-staters last year, only 268, but 197 of them were accepted. Weird.

tara14 said:

I'm sure there is some truth to that. I had my interview today..and out of 12 of us roughly 4-5 were out of state students. I dont think they offer interviews to PA residents first though.

I am an in-state applicant though :(

I called them this morning and they said my file is incomplete because I needed a recommendation from the dean or academic advisor from where I got my undergrad degree. I was confused because I thought my prehealth committee letter from my post bac school would be enough.

I have to get a letter from the dean saying that I had no academic difficulties in undergrad but I'm wondering why can't they just look at my application which has been verified by Accomas.

I am getting the feeling that PCOM do not like non trad students.

dude11 said:
I called them this morning and they said my file is incomplete because I needed a recommendation from the dean or academic advisor from where I got my undergrad degree. I was confused because I thought my prehealth committee letter from my post bac school would be enough.

I have to get a letter from the dean saying that I had no academic difficulties in undergrad but I'm wondering why can't they just look at my application which has been verified by Accomas.

I am getting the feeling that PCOM do not like non trad students.

Yeah, I read your post...good luck! I think that their methods are a little sketchy. There are some people get get offers a week after completion, and some that wait months. I don't know why they are so concerned with the letter from your undergrad, I didnt know that was standard practice.
Good luck!!!

PlasticMan said:
Do they send out an email or snail mail notification when you are complete?

*edit* And how long should we wait after sending in our secondary to call and verify we are complete, as some of you have said they did not realize that you were complete until you called?

It is an e-mail notification.

tara14 said:

PCOM gives preferences to PA and Delaware residents, but a lot of their students are from out of state. Giving preference for them just simply means you are likely to get an interview earlier than an out of state student and your GPA and MCAT score do not need to be as high as an out of state student.

Jamers said:
Most likely true, but, then again, a few schools do that. VCOM only wants residents from the Appliac. mountain chain. UMDNJ accepts about 2% out of state. I wouldn't doubt PCOM is like that as well. However, don't loose hope, they do interview close to 600 people. Actually, just looked it up now, out of state acceptance, for last year, was 7.1%. They interviewed 416 out-of-staters and accepted 212 of them. They actually interviwed less in-staters last year, only 268, but 197 of them were accepted. Weird.

VCOM does not only want students from the Appliac. mountain chain; I am from NYC, and I was interviewed in September and accepted October.

UMDNJ does not accept 2% out of state students! I went on my interview on Wednesday, and of the five of us interviewing, only two were from NJ. UMD is very selective about who they interview because they get over 2,500 applications a year. They interview 280 for a class of 100. Of the 280 they interview, they accept roughly 180. Once you matriculate, a ton of the students get in state residency and tuition because the process is made so easy for the students to do so. They encourage you and aid you in the process.

I could swear PCOM gives a snail mail notification of complete?

i never got any complete notice--the first i heard from them was an interview invitation.

USArmyDoc said:
I could swear PCOM gives a snail mail notification of complete?

You are correct; my mistake. I thought the OP was asking if the interview invite is snail mail or e-mail. The secondary and completiong notices come via snail mail; the interview invite comes via e-mail.

shenningdo said:
You are correct; my mistake. I thought the OP was asking if the interview invite is snail mail or e-mail. The secondary and completiong notices come via snail mail; the interview invite comes via e-mail.

Yea, I havn't heard a peep out of PCOM.

USArmyDoc said:
Yea, I havn't heard a peep out of PCOM.

Their process is slow. I know plenty of people who did not interview until April last year and got in. They take forever, according to the medical advisor at my Kaplan center. Don't worry! You will get in to the school that is right for you ;) .

shenningdo said:
Their process is slow. I know plenty of people who did not interview until April last year and got in. They take forever, according to the medical advisor at my Kaplan center. Don't worry! You will get in to the school that is right for you ;) .

Yep, I think DMU is the right fit and got the acceptance letter the day of my interview at NYCOM. :)

USArmyDoc said:
Yep, I think DMU is the right fit and got the acceptance letter the day of my interview at NYCOM. :)

Congratulations! I am sorry I may not see you at NYCOM next year. I don't know if I was accepted at NYCOM, but I wish you the best of luck, whichever school you choose. It was nice meeting you!

shenningdo said:
Congratulations! I am sorry I may not see you at NYCOM next year. I don't know if I was accepted at NYCOM, but I wish you the best of luck, whichever school you choose. It was nice meeting you!

Ehh, NYCOM is still in the running. The problem is each school has its pluses. Two schools have a PhD attached to it (free tuition). DMU is just an awesome place. The fourth school I released my seat. I am not going to go there.

USArmyDoc said:
Ehh, NYCOM is still in the running. The problem is each school has its pluses. Two schools have a PhD attached to it (free tuition). DMU is just an awesome place. The fourth school I released my seat. I am not going to go there.

Well, I am the type of person to say "I have done the best I can with my applications and interviews, and I will make decisions as those bridges come." When deposits were due this week, I chose one school of the five I was accepted to and put a deposit down. I released my seat in each of the other four schools. Now that I have interviewed closer to home, once those letters of acceptance/waitlist/rejection arrive, I will continue to eliminate schools accordingly. I went to NYCOM and UMD this week; my PCOM interview is not until January 19th. I held my seat at UNECOM. That leaves me the potential for four great schools to go to, and we all have our personal pluses and minuses to look at with each school. You will find the one that best balances all the important aspects you are looking for, and your decision will just feel right. You will succeed anywhere you go; I could see that from just talking to you at NYCOM. I wish you the best of luck; keep me updated!