PCOM on NBC10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought those of you in the Philly area might be interested in this

From PCOM's email:

"PCOM's use of human patient and laparoscopic simulators will be highlighted in a segment to air on the 10! Show Tuesday, April 24, between 10 and 11 a.m. The piece features Dr. Sesso and first-year medical students as they learn to treat a trauma patient and perform laparoscopic surgery. So tune your TV to Channel 10 or set up your Tivo or VCR to catch PCOM as we make news."

Members don't see this ad.

I thought those of you in the Philly area might be interested in this

From PCOM's email:

"PCOM's use of human patient and laparoscopic simulators will be highlighted in a segment to air on the 10! Show Tuesday, April 24, between 10 and 11 a.m. The piece features Dr. Sesso and first-year medical students as they learn to treat a trauma patient and perform laparoscopic surgery. So tune your TV to Channel 10 or set up your Tivo or VCR to catch PCOM as we make news."

Go PCOM! :biglove: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN's Youtube embeding wasn't working

Here's the video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=redkDy_sT9s[/youtube]

That is a cool robot, go PCOM

SDN's Youtube embeding wasn't working

Here's the video

[youtube]redkDy_sT9s[/youtube]

:laugh:..medhacker i didn't know that your avatar was a real pic...cool to see the moving video version of that avatar...lol

:laugh:..medhacker i didn't know that your avatar was a real pic...cool to see the moving video version of that avatar...lol

Ain't technology something else?? :D

Good highlight of some of the equipment available at PCOM.

Our school went above and beyond when it came to spending the money to get the room, equipment and people to do this.

Almost makes up for the over priced cafeteria. :D

Good highlight of some of the equipment available at PCOM.

Our school went above and beyond when it came to spending the money to get the room, equipment and people to do this.

Almost makes up for the over priced cafeteria. :D

I love your sig!!! I can't wait till I can countdown till graduation.

G'luck JP in your residency :luck: :luck:

Definitely a vital skill for MSI's.

What's wrong JPH? Your class wouldn't volunteer to come in for the Public Relations stunt?

We didnt know anything about it until it was ready to be aired. They had a few residents and surgery club officers do it.

I think it came out great.

I really like highlighting the Lap simulator. We have had allopathic residents from all over Philly wanting to get in to use it.

It is a nice feeling going into your surgical residency with a half dozen different procedures logged on the machine.

That was very cool. The best part was the simulated voice.:)

Glad medhacker posted it up. Good call.

Cheers

That is awesome technology! Does anyone know if it is used anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is awesome technology! Does anyone know if it is used anywhere else?

The robotic simulators can be found on a few campuses. PCOM has 2 of them. They are six figure machines. They bleed, urinate, breathe, etc. In fact, you can push meds and the robots have an appropriate physiologic response. You scan the med into a bar code and then once its injected (actually into the vein of the robot) the machine will respond just like a human would. PCOM students have killed a few simulated patients this way!

As far as the Laparascopic simulator, there are only about 2 dozen in medical schools in the US. Its great because you can feel the tissue resistance on the instruments. Its not just a video game look to it. When you grab tissue and squeeze too hard you can cause lacerations, you can ligate vessels accidentally...it mimicks the real procedure. And if you are trying to dissect out tough tissue you can feel the instruments not wanting to give...very cool stuff..

Don't you find it kind of weird that your avatar is someone else?

A little weirdness now and then, is cherished by the wisest men...

:idea:

I agree, it's awesome. I think KCUMB has a few of these types of simulators, including an OB one.

An OB simulator would be great. the OBGYn rotation is one that causes a lot of anxiety

man that laproscopic sim looks awesome...im jealous :)