PCOM phili or VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doba123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have already been accepted to VCOM for Fall 05. already sent in my deposity. Just received an interview invite for Phili PCOM. Debating on whether I should go or not. Any advice would be helpful.

Any comparisons, tips, recommendations, or blah on either of the two schools would be great. If there are those out there that happened to interview at both what helped you decide which school you wanted to attend.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation. I've been accepted to VCOM and I really love the school. I interviewed with PCOM-GA and thought it was a very good school but didn't love it. I didn't have much of an interest in PCOM Phili mostly b/c of Phili. If I had the exact same financial package between the two, VCOM would win hands down in my opinion. I love their curriculum and the schedule, not to mention the people and the facilities. Best of luck to you in your decision. My advice is to go ahead and interview with Phili. It can't hurt. Best to keep your options open until you have made a final decision.

doba123 said:
Hi everyone!

I have already been accepted to VCOM for Fall 05. already sent in my deposity. Just received an interview invite for Phili PCOM. Debating on whether I should go or not. Any advice would be helpful.

Any comparisons, tips, recommendations, or blah on either of the two schools would be great. If there are those out there that happened to interview at both what helped you decide which school you wanted to attend.

Thanks for your help.

VCOM, VCOM, VCOM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

No Really, It won't hurt to interview at PCOM unless, of course, location is a factor. For me it was. I grew up in a big dirty city (LA) & don't wanna go to another even dirtier one.

Philly: high crime rate, looks like a wasteland from all the dead trees and vegetation caused by smog and pollution, multitudes of rude obnoxious people that contribute to that high crime rate, high taxes, did I mention the high crime rate. Notice how everything there is "high," even the malpractice insurance and jury awards against doctors.

Blacksburg Virginia: Nestled in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains in the Blueridge Parkway, very safe with little crime, hiking, white water rafting, skiing, camping (just don't watch "Deliverance" before you go out), fresh air, vegetation color changes in the Fall are an awesome site, and Division 1 Football at V-Tech.

OK, I exagerated a little about Philly, however, not much. PCOM does have a strong reputation which may serve you well, but if you work hard and build your own rep, then you don't need to get by on the schools. Look forward to seeing you at VCOM in the Fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind PCOM is not in center city philly, its actually abuot 20-25 minutes away and is in a very nice area- i.e. there are trees, haha, reasonable rent and a great reputation. So if the city factor is all that is keeping you back keep that in mind, as well as the fact that if you are in the city you will see a larger volume of patients during clinicals.

LHUEMT911 said:
Keep in mind PCOM is not in center city philly, its actually abuot 20-25 minutes away and is in a very nice area- i.e. there are trees, haha, reasonable rent and a great reputation. So if the city factor is all that is keeping you back keep that in mind, as well as the fact that if you are in the city you will see a larger volume of patients during clinicals.
Yes this is true. I understand that philly is not the ideal place to live, but it is a perfect place for learning medicine if you are serious about it. The abundant number of hospitals with wide variety of pathology make one of the exciting place to learn about medicine.

MS III

As you can see, different people have differing opinions about the city of Philadelphia

Some people love the city with the plethora of bars, nightclubs, sports venue, art galleries, etc.

Some people fear to cross the city line, thinking that as soon as they cross that line, they will be mugged, shot, and left for the rats to feast.

It is best that you go to the interview, to judge for yourself the location, how "safe" you feel, the student body, etc.

A positive thing about PCOM is that it has a lot of interactions (esp the clubs) with the other 4 medical schools in the city.

PCOM also have a strong reputation among allopathic and osteopathic institutions

PCOM is in a decent neighborhood (heck, cross the street and you're no longer in Philly). It's next door to a Hilton, Sacks Fifth Avenue, near Lord and Taylors, and 2 local news network (ABC and NBC)

But don't take my word for it. Come and visit and interview. See for yourself if you like it or not.

And congrats on your acceptance to VCOM. In the end, you're going to make an excellent doctor.

Group_theory
PCOM 2007

Philly: high crime rate, looks like a wasteland from all the dead trees and vegetation caused by smog and pollution, multitudes of rude obnoxious people that contribute to that high crime rate, high taxes, did I mention the high crime rate. Notice how everything there is "high," even the malpractice insurance and jury awards against doctors.

I agree with everything you said Static line. As soon as I graduate I am high tailing it out of Philly. I grew up in eastern PA so I have seen it turn from nice to not so nice. But I did not choose PCOM for the people of the city or the surrounding community. I have no major complaints about PCOM and any minor complaints I may have are probably seen at other schools.
Two Complaints :
1. There needs to be a universal OMM curriculum, I am sick of hearing "we teach it this way but other schools teach it differently", or "we don't agree with this but you need to know it for boards". I am sure every schools is like this though.
2. Primary Care Skills PCS - the secretary that sends emails never returns them if you have a question. She is a rude lady. The course director is also the FP program director and has many other responsibilities. Scheduled events never progress in a logical order. Faculty sometimes do not show up for PCS lecture or lab. I don't care if PA's or Patient Teaching Associates teach primary care skills I say just teach it right.

That is it, everything else is almost perfect. The professors are super nice including OMM and PCS. Could not ask for a better Gross Anatomy experience. The way that Biochem, Cell Bio, Molecular, Pharm, and MicroBio are integrated together is excellent.
I never had a prof teach you about their research unless it was applicable to our learning experience and/or needed for clinicals or boards. Most people like the way the Rads prof teaches, personally I do not eventhough he is a nice guy. You will see what I mean. Oh and the parking garage and activities center rock.

Good Luck in your decision.

How close is PCOM from St. Josephs University?

I have two questions for PCOMers? Is there only one $250 deposit or is there more lurking behind that one? Like some schools require $1,000 up front and then another $1,000 or $500 later.

Also, when do financial aid decisions come out at PCOM?

raptor5 said:
I agree with everything you said Static line. As soon as I graduate I am high tailing it out of Philly. I grew up in eastern PA so I have seen it turn from nice to not so nice. But I did not choose PCOM for the people of the city or the surrounding community. I have no major complaints about PCOM and any minor complaints I may have are probably seen at other schools.
Two Complaints :
1. There needs to be a universal OMM curriculum, I am sick of hearing "we teach it this way but other schools teach it differently", or "we don't agree with this but you need to know it for boards". I am sure every schools is like this though.
2. Primary Care Skills PCS - the secretary that sends emails never returns them if you have a question. She is a rude lady. The course director is also the FP program director and has many other responsibilities. Scheduled events never progress in a logical order. Faculty sometimes do not show up for PCS lecture or lab. I don't care if PA's or Patient Teaching Associates teach primary care skills I say just teach it right.

That is it, everything else is almost perfect. The professors are super nice including OMM and PCS. Could not ask for a better Gross Anatomy experience. The way that Biochem, Cell Bio, Molecular, Pharm, and MicroBio are integrated together is excellent.
I never had a prof teach you about their research unless it was applicable to our learning experience and/or needed for clinicals or boards. Most people like the way the Rads prof teaches, personally I do not eventhough he is a nice guy. You will see what I mean. Oh and the parking garage and activities center rock.

Good Luck in your decision.

I meant all that I said. I mean no disrespect to PCOM because it has the reputation of a good school, which I am sure it is; in fact, my EMS medical director went to PCOM in the 70's which is one of the reasons I choose DO over the allopath route. My comments are directed towards most big cities as location was a factor for me in choosing a school, PCOM just happens to be the topic of this discussion, thus Philly. However, it seems I ruffled the feathers of a few which is not my intention, and I guess because location was a factor, I must not be serious in my pursuit to study medicine by choosing VCOM. So, being the type of person I am I will say this to those who are offended, "don't be offended." Anyway Raptor, I do not blame you for wanting to high tail it out, good luck.

Static Line - no one has questioned your committment to medicine, and I don't think anyone was offended by your "city has high crime" statement. We're just defending philly (and city life in general) :)

Some people love the city. Others don't. It's just personal preference.

That's why I suggested the OP visit PCOM, to see the school, interact with the students, and see the surround area. Will he/she feel safe? What "life outside school" opportunities are available in Philly that the OP would be interested in doing? Where do most students live?

These questions, which can be answered online by people, are best answered by the OP himself/herself when he/she visits the school. So when the time comes to compare PCOM v VCOM, the OP will have personal knowledge of the two schools and choose based on what he/she wants.

Go Eagles!!

Static Line said:
I meant all that I said. I mean no disrespect to PCOM because it has the reputation of a good school, which I am sure it is; in fact, my EMS medical director went to PCOM in the 70's which is one of the reasons I choose DO over the allopath route. My comments are directed towards most big cities as location was a factor for me in choosing a school, PCOM just happens to be the topic of this discussion, thus Philly. However, it seems I ruffled the feathers of a few which is not my intention, and I guess because location was a factor, I must not be serious in my pursuit to study medicine by choosing VCOM. So, being the type of person I am I will say this to those who are offended, "don't be offended." Anyway Raptor, I do not blame you for wanting to high tail it out, good luck.
Now that is tact and diplomacy!!! Way to go!!! That warms my heart :)

It does come down to a personal decision. My choice would be for VCOM in a heart beat unless I had some other major variable such as family in Philly or a major scholarship or something of that nature.

Does PCOM have a dress code and mandatory attendance like VCOM?

Not sure for PCOM-GA, but for Philly, there is no dress code or attendance usually.

Dress code is only for patient interaction (usually standardize patients, or when patients come in to speak about their diseases). Closest thing to mandatory attendance is OPP Lab and OPP Prelab.

VCOM VCOM VCOM baby :D :D