Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

PCOM Recommendation Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by dude11, Dec 15, 2005.

1. dude11

dude11 Member
    5+ Year Member

I just called PCOM and they said my file is incomplete because they need a leter from the dean of the school where I received my undergrad degree that I had no academic difficulties. But I did my post bac at another school and asked the prehealth committee at the post bac to send the letter of recommendation to PCOM. Still, they said they need a letter from my undergrad. My undergrad degree was in business and I did my science requirements during Post Bac.

I just checked again the PCOM supplemental letter and it said LTR from prehealth committee from undergrad where got degree regardless of major but that is strange. I don't think they are taking into consideration Post Bac students!

Have any of you run into this problem? How did you resolve it? I am worry now because nobody told me my file was incomplete until I called. I hope its not too late because this is another hurdle I have to jump over.

Thanks for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. newbie04

newbie04 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  4. mstann

mstann Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

PCOM is very strict on this part of the application. This, in turn, steers many people away from applying there. If you call up your undergrad institution (or the dean of your undergrad college) and explain the situation they should be more than happy to meet with you and write a letter of recommendation. I think its more of a screening for people who can follow application instructions than anything else. Also, remember that PCOM loves students from varied backgrounds, so getting this letter could strengthen your application quite a bit. Yes, its a hassle, but I'm glad I did it!

5. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The letter is rather generic. get one from your academic advisor if seeing the dean intimidates you or is more of a hassle. My letter was from my academic advisor and was about 3 sentences long. This was good enough to get me an interview.

1. must state it is your academic advisor from whatever department
    2. state you graduated in good standing with whatever GPA

does not have to comment about how suitable you are for med school. You may also get one from the dean. I'm unsure if the departmental dean is good enough. Don't be afraid to call PCOM again for further clarification. Read that link above. good luck.

6. KCW

KCW Member
    7+ Year Member

I ran into the same problem with PCOM. Getting a letter from the Dean can be a real hassle. I had to go through a number of different people in order to even get through to him. Ultimately, I called PCOM to ask them specifically what was needed. I was told that I need to get a letter of recommendation from my undergraduate advisor within my major. This was a lot easier to do since I knew him fairly well. If you can go this route, I would do it. Most people have some sort of relationship with their undergraduate advisor, and approaching them for a letter more reasonable than approaching a Dean that you have never met.