PCOM students please take a look!

Started by roger2004
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

roger2004

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Caught between NOVA (great program, facilities and WEATHER) and PCOM (great program, facilities and closer to home). I hope to practice in the NJ/NY Metro area, I think, so perhaps PCOM offers an advantage there. I don't really know much about their clinical rotation program and their residency program. I've looked for info but haven't gotten much detail. Does PCOM use a pass/fail system or grades? Do you find a cooperative atmosphere among the students if you know? Are the profs required to provide notes to the students at the beginning of a class? Are they supportive of new students? What do you think is PCOM's strongest benefit for its students?

------------------

rog
 
Having had experience with students and grads from both school, IMO, PCOM consistently produces a better graduate, primarily due to better clinical training and possibly higher quality matriculants. OMT at both schools is abysmal. Many residency directors have a high opinion of PCOM and they have many graduates in (relatively speaking) influential places.
 
prefontaine,
is it your opinion, that as a graduate of PCOM vs NOVA, one has a better chance of matching into a New Jersey residency program in internal medicine, pediatrics or even into a specialty such as opthalmology or dematology (using the match or otherwise)? And is this due, in your opinion of course, to the high opinion many residency directors have of PCOM as well as the presence of their graduates in relatively "influential" places? Assuming an applicant's resume is strong (scores, recommendations etc), on what basis does residency director make their choice? Is the RD obligated to fill a number of residency spots as dictated by agreements between various hospital affiliated med school consortiums such as exists at NYCOM? I would like to ultimately practice in New Jersey (unless my plans change radically) and I feel you make some very practical and valid points which I can't ignore. I'd appreciate your thoughts and insights if you would comment further. Thanks

------------------

rog