PCOM summer IMBMB course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BklynWill

EM Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read many statements in support of this summer biochem course. Does anyone have any negative opinions or valid reasons not to take it?

Members don't see this ad.

In talking to some of the current first years who took it last summer and some of my fellow biomeds from last year it is a huge help. Both the summer course and the biomeds course use the same notebook as the first year DO biochem. The level of detail is not quite the same but they all have said that it is extremely helpful, the other big point mentioned is that you get to meet a bunch of your classmates before starting. Nice to figure out who our class gunners are before anatomy begins....

$650.00 is kind of steep, but I'm in.

4/19/04 - Also, just received the medical history questionnaire today.

Members don't see this ad :)
raptor5 said:
$650.00 is kind of steep, but I'm in.

4/19/04 - Also, just received the medical history questionnaire today.

$650.00 for what?...They told me the course was free all you had to pay for was housing an fyour food.....

They told me the course was free all you had to pay for was housing an fyour food

Did you get that in writing. If so I would like to know why I have to pay.

not sure if anyone is still pondering this course but i got the letter too and it was for $650. didn't say anything about housing though, i'd assume you're on your own. i guess the $31,000 isn't enough to cover 1 week of biochem! that being said, i'm not taking it b/c i had biochem already (although it probably would be a good starting class).

I'm not a PCOM student, and I don't know how biochem is taught there, but from my experience in med school so far biochem should really be the least of your worries(anatomy on the other hand..). Med school biochem is not nearly as tough as undergrad biochem it really is "biochem for dummies" so don't be intimidated by it(esp don't spend 650 bucks and a week of your life on a warm up class). If you have had biochem undergrad, med school biochem will be easy. If you have not, it will still not be very challenging. Congratulations on getting in, I've heard PCOM is a very good program.

bigmuny said:
Med school biochem is not nearly as tough as undergrad biochem it really is "biochem for dummies" so don't be intimidated by it(esp don't spend 650 bucks and a week of your life on a warm up class). If you have had biochem undergrad, med school biochem will be easy. If you have not, it will still not be very challenging. Congratulations on getting in, I've heard PCOM is a very good program.

Thank you, bigmuny..I got kind of nervous that people are already preparing for med biochem! I took undergrad biochem, did well, and really enjoyed it..I did wonder about taking a prep class for med school courses but then decided to take it easy the summer before..it's comforting to know that this decision wasn't a poor one! Thanks again! :thumbup:

I'm a PCOM 1st year who is currently procrastinating. In other words, I have to make this short cuz I should be studying...

Congrats on getting in, this place (PCOM) rocks!

Biochem is part of cell and tissue during your second trimester (1st year). The faculty is highly organized and teaches it very well, even for those who haven't had the material. The summer course is great if you want to get a look at the material prior to getting it as part of the DO curriculum. It's not that difficult to master upon a single go around however and you will have time to meet the other students during the year... You'll be with them all of the time...and I do mean all of the time.

I say, take the summer off and do nothing medically related whatsoever. You really only get one summer off after school begins... the one after your 1st year. The current second years have boards in a few weeks and then enter into rotation on the following day (post boards). Make the most of your free time while you have it.

See you guys in Aug.