PCOM Summerstart: Any info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deistobmore05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, Pre-DOs:
To any of you who received in your acceptance letter from PCOM that it is mandatory to be part of the Summerstart program, have you received any info yet? I got this in the letter and since then haven't heard anything.

In late Feb I called the office of Student Affairs and the lady i spoke with said that there are specific dates of the program and we should get information in Spring sometime. Well that was at least a month ago, and I'm worried b/c I need to find housing and a roomate (preferably someone also moving early for the program). I'm assuming that this program is still happening b/c it's mandatory?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your help.. as it so happens, last night i was randomly checking the PCOM email and information on Summerstart was sent last Wed. I was assuming that they would send it by snail mail too, but now the question has been answered, thank God!

Members don't see this ad :)
So what is the PCOM Summerstart program?

So what is the PCOM Summerstart program?

if you aren't required to take it its a waste of money and time. That's all you need to know

Haha, uh, wow.. i feel special!!

My guess is you don't have a science background and they are just trying to help you ease into the work load. You shouldn't feel insulted having to take the class.

How long does Summerstart typically last and what course content does it cover? Histology? Physiology and Anatomy review? Just curious.

How long does Summerstart typically last and what course content does it cover? Histology? Physiology and Anatomy review? Just curious.

biochem lasting ~ 5 weeks. Everyone i know that took it didn't feel they had any advantage in cell and tissue

Summerstart is a two part summer program (roughly 5 weeks...2 weeks in june...1 wk off..then the 2wk biochem course)

1st part consists of basic anatomy, micro, and some other courses. Along with the courses, students travel to PCOM's healthcare clinics and meet with physicians and other faculty.

The 2nd part is the Biochemistry section that is open to anyone who wants to take it (costs 700 dollars if you aren't required to take it). The class is mostly 8-4pm for 2 weeks with an exam at the end (don't worry its not graded).

I took summerstart last year and I had a lot of fun.

Don't be discourged if you are required to take it. No one knows why they were/are chosen. The course last year was very very diverse. It consisted of students over the age of 30, multiple races, and people with multiple Master's degrees.

Just suck it up, borrow some cash from the folks, and party your ass off. You will meet roughly ~30 classmates and know them pretty well before school starts.

Just a few more hoops to jump through before school OFFICIALLY starts in August.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.

Actually, I was in fact a Bio major and had taken a Biochem course in my junior year in college, and managed to do alright (it was taught by one of the toughest professors in the department). I'm thinking that i'm part of it more so b/c of not being in school for at least two years. I feel like this would be necessary for me b/c i've lost touch with student life and it's gonna be a big change.
Thanks for the advice DO Sigma Nu.. Ciao!