PCOM "summerstart"? WTF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkdlit

Superstar DJ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just got an acceptance from PCOM, my 1st choice. My jumping for joy lasted about 2 minutes until I read that I had to attend a mandartory 5 week summer start program starting in June, which focuses on biochem. Ummm...not good.

I've got plane tickets to North Carolina, Europe, and California, for travel from June-July. Why should I sacrifice this all to spend my summer studying biochem and "learning how to use the library" when I've got a nice acceptance from Nova as well?

I need some guidance you guys, this is a huge bummer. I was so set on going to PCOM, but this just sucks. I don't think its worth it, I loved Nova as well.

Would it be stupid to ask the admissions commitee at PCOM to waive this requirement, and list my reasons for why I think they should? Or is that just impossible.

Anyone out there also required to do this? Any current students done this before?!

:(

Members don't see this ad.

turkdlit said:
Hello all, just got an acceptance from PCOM, my 1st choice. My jumping for joy lasted about 2 minutes until I read that I had to attend a mandartory 5 week summer start program starting in June, which focuses on biochem. Ummm...not good.

I've got plane tickets to North Carolina, Europe, and California, for travel from June-July. Why should I sacrifice this all to spend my summer studying biochem and "learning how to use the library" when I've got a nice acceptance from Nova as well?

I need some guidance you guys, this is a huge bummer. I was so set on going to PCOM, but this just sucks. I don't think its worth it, I loved Nova as well.

Would it be stupid to ask the admissions commitee at PCOM to waive this requirement, and list my reasons for why I think they should? Or is that just impossible.

Anyone out there also required to do this? Any current students done this before?!

:(

I would contact them. Tell them that PCOM is your first choice but you also have acceptances elsewhere. Tell them that you have nonrefundable plane tickets and cannot change your summer plans without being out thousands of dollars. See what they say. If they don't bend, then I'd say f'em and move to Florida :)
wbdo

Wow, that stinks. I had no idea any of the schools had a very early start date. Is it only for people that haven't had biochem perhaps?

I woudl call them and tell them about your situation. Good luck. It sounds like you were smart and planned a great summer before MSI. have a great time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm spend a summer studying biochem, and then the winter freezing your ass off and scraping ice off your windshield :scared: or spend a summer travelling and having fun and the winter on the beach :cool: ......that is a tough one.... :idea:

Mete,
Wow! Congrats on getting that acceptance to PCOM. That really sucks - I never heard of a school actually requiring something in the summer. I wonder how common this really is. The best you can do is to call them and see what they say - hopefully they'll be understanding. Or go to Florida! At least you say you'll be happy no matter what - PCOM or NSUCOM.

Sounds like you have some great trips planned! Have a good time! :)

Lari

Lari29 said:
Mete,
Wow! Congrats on getting that acceptance to PCOM. That really sucks - I never heard of a school actually requiring something in the summer. I wonder how common this really is. The best you can do is to call them and see what they say - hopefully they'll be understanding. Or go to Florida! At least you say you'll be happy no matter what - PCOM or NSUCOM.

Sounds like you have some great trips planned! Have a good time! :)

Lari

Lari! Wazzup girrrrl. Thanks for the positiveness...you're right, two great schools, both of which I would be happy at. It just sucks to make decisions, especially when a summer of fun is on the line :(

I'm gonna call PCOM on Monday, explain my situation and see what they say. I never had biochem so maybe thats why they're doing this. Anywho, thanks for all your input, keep it coming, please! Turk needs guidance!

Call pcom and tell deb your situation, she's usually very understanding and she has the power to waiver your biochem class. On the other side to be honest, having that biochem class will help you out TREMENDOUSLY when you start cell and tissue during the 2nd trimester of your 1st year. By the way, cell and tissue is suppose to be the hardest course of your 1st year and possibly your 2nd also. The summer biochem course is taught by the one of the same teachers you'll encounter in cell and tissue, it covers genetics, protein synthesis, bio-energetics (metabolism), and blood proteins. This single class is not difficult at all, even if you never did have biochem, you will have to study though, but not a lot. I doubt they'll withdraw your acceptance if you say you can't make it, i mean by now most people would've made plans already for the summer, especially if they're about to start medical school. So basically, if pcom is your first choice, see if they'll let you off, if not i guess you'll have to decide how badly you want to go there. Good luck and CONGRATS!!!

turkdlit said:
I never had biochem so maybe thats why they're doing this.
Don't stress too much - I'm sure whatever decision you make will be for the best. Now that you say that you haven't taken biochem, that definitely explains the summer requirement. Hopefully DNA-RL is right in predicting that Deb will be understanding and let you off the hook. I know it must be pretty disappointing to you to have to deal with this because PCOM is also closer to friends/family and you don't have to make the big move to FL. :eek:

Let us know what PCOM says....

Lari

I gotta do it also....

But its my only opption right now unless im taken of a an alternate list by NOVA

wait...I am attending PCOM as well..and I also received a letter regarding the summerstart program. However, mine DEFINITELY does not say its mandatory. There is already a forum on this biochem summerstart program and no one else has mentioned that it was mandatory. I would call PCOM and double check..let me know if you find anything out! :eek:

The summerstart program is different than the IMBMB class they are offering. Although I believe that the individuals in the summerstart also attend the IMBMB class.

Do they charge for the summerstart program?

nope, the program I have to take is free.

I'm sure it would be beneficial and all...but its honestly not something I want to do. Life is too short, especially when you're in med school. This summer is an opportunity for me to spend quality time with friends and family, and to have fun. Its more important than getting a head start in biochem; the first two years are designed to learn all that, so this kinda sucks.

Of course, it would be different if it were my only acceptance; having one from another excellent school makes this choice super hard :(

I just called the admissions office, but Deb is out of town until Wed. So I was connected with someone else (she never mentioned her name). I made a blundering idiot of myself trying to explain my case, mostly because I didn't prepare what I wanted to say...

Turk: So, um, yeah, I realize I need to take this summerstart, but my plans...er, well, you see, family time is very important to me, in my, uh, opinion. And I've got all these planned trips all over the country...well, actually, also in Europe where I have friends and family, but also in Arizona because I love the desert...anyways I would lose lots of money if I had to start at PCOM early.

Lady: Um, I don't understand.

Turk: Well, you see I was wondering if it was possible to get this summerstart thing waived because...and don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to be accepted, but its just that this throws a big wrench into my plans.

Lady: (obviously annoyed) So you can't attend because you have previous summer plans?

Turk: No!!! No no...I just wanted to see how, um, strict the requirment is because you know, I've got these trips...more blabbering.

Lady: (interrupts Turk) OK, so what you're saying is that you want to get out of the summerstart requirement because of previous engagements.

Turk: *timidly* I guess so.

Lady: I'll run it by the adcom and we'll call you in a few days. ALthough I don't forsee them making any exceptions in this case.

:mad:

I'm totally not going to be well represented by this person...and its mostly my fault for sounding like a *****. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Doc34, are you planning on going to NOVA if you're pulled off their waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Call up and ask for Tammi Wrice she is the asst adcom and is extremely nice. As long as you can lay out your reasons for her as being family related she should be empathetic. She is your best chance for a good advocate instead of the office staff who have frightened me on more than one occasion :eek:

Do they charge for the summerstart program?

That is F'd up. They do not charge for the summerstart, but they charge for the summer biochem class. I want to attend to the summer biochem class, but I do not want to shell out $650. What do I do, call the admissions office and tell them to make it mandatory for me.

turkdlit said:

Doc34, are you planning on going to NOVA if you're pulled off their waitlist?

Yeah...Its home its about $15,000 cheaper the way I see it, plus my g/f soon to be fiance is here.

ok, apparently I am really confused. As I said previously, I am part of PCOM c/o 2008, but have not received anything whatsoever regarding a mandatory summer start program. Do all of the incoming students have to attend this summer start or is it only for select individuals for one reason or another? Someone please let me know because I am starting to get nervous.. :confused:

AshDO said:
ok, apparently I am really confused. As I said previously, I am part of PCOM c/o 2008, but have not received anything whatsoever regarding a mandatory summer start program. Do all of the incoming students have to attend this summer start or is it only for select individuals for one reason or another? Someone please let me know because I am starting to get nervous.. :confused:

Unless they told you so in your acceptance letter, you don't have to do the program. Chill baby chill....

Of course, if you WANTED to do the program, maybe you can take my place :)

ahh..I see..thank u so much..I can relax again ;)

My, that is a DILLY of a pickle.

Fock 'em. Come to NSU. How well will you be able to focus on biochem if you know that you ought to be having tons of fun elsewhere (a vacation like the one you are describing is a once in a lifetime opportunity).

-NS

Sweet! I called Deb at PCOM and asked if I could have this requirement waived...and she totally hooked me up! Summer is mine once again!

Now if I could just decide which school is better for me...I've got a May 5th deadline to decide approaching :scared: :scared: :scared:

NSU so sunny! PCOM ever so reputable! Ahhhh!

turkdlit said:
Sweet! I called Deb at PCOM and asked if I could have this requirement waived...and she totally hooked me up! Summer is mine once again!

Now if I could just decide which school is better for me...I've got a May 5th deadline to decide approaching :scared: :scared: :scared:

You said in your first post that PCOM was your first choice, has something changed in the past week that has changed your mind or are you just having second thoughts?

Congrats! That is a hard decision..but of course I'm gonna say to go for PCOM..(and that is 100% biased..haha) ;)

turkdlit said:

silly.

the choice is obvious. pcom is closer to the Bean, and we all know that should be the only factor worth considering ;)

Chrisobean said:
silly.

the choice is obvious. pcom is closer to the Bean, and we all know that should be the only factor worth considering ;)

Whew! Glad you reminded us to take the bean factor into account. I momentarily forgot why I was inspired to apply to PCOM in the first place. That and the cheesesteaks. Mmmmm, cheesesteaks....

UltimateDO said:
You said in your first post that PCOM was your first choice, has something changed in the past week that has changed your mind or are you just having second thoughts?

Well thats whats so weird about this situation. Before I heard from PCOM, I wanted to have apln set out. So I said to myself, "Turk, PCOM has been your #1 from day 1, Nova is super nice great school, but stick with Philly". Thus I decided, if I get in, I go to Philly...

But the summer thing threw a wrench in there and then I was like, "Turk, this wasn't part of the deal! Your endless summer is at stake!" Then I started to lean towards NSU, I looked into everything and Nova had all this great stuff to offer (retreats to Guatemala, fellowship program in sports medicine, music scene in Miami, etc.).

And now this! I don't have to do summer start and my head is just a jumbled mess of aimless pros and cons. What can I say, both schools are great...

This is all on top of being an extremely indecisive person (I'm a libra, making sure the scales are balanced and everything...not that I believe in signs or anything :) )

So what to do now? Do I bite the bullet and say, "NSU doesn't have the magic Bean a mere 80 miles away?" Hmmm...tick-tock tick-tock

Thanks for the congrats my potential future classmates. I'll keep ya'll updated and would like assure that most of the time, I am only 90% as neurotic as this :scared:

I would like to see what you are going to be like getting your Match paperwork together in a few years. :D You are in a win-win situation, both schools are great and will put you in a good position for residency.

umm...can I ask what the Bean is..without getting attacked? :oops:

I have a question about the PCOM summer start thing. Do they list Biochem as a pre-req for admission? If they don;t and I am assuming they do not since Turk said he never had it. maybe they should tell you that if you don;t have it then you will have to spend your summer at the school from the start, because maybe then....either...you would have taken it or not spent all this money on vacation plans, BUT honestly I think it worked out to your advantage in that way. I can;t believe they can make u start in the summer and your one summer of freedom, no less! Well congratualtions Turk and hope you don't stress to much about choosing a school, but my advice would be to just go with your gut and not over think it, there are good parts of every school so...I think no matter what you will be making a good choice. good luck.

UltimateDO said:
The Bean cannot be defined, it must be experienced...
I am the Magic Bean! better take a number if you want to experience me ;)

that was an inside joke to Turk, but i'm glad my presence was able to influence others :laugh:

Wow! :D Great news - it's almost always good to have choices. Looks like you're have a tough decision here. :scared: If you want my two cents, I'd say PCOM because I'm assuming you'd be closer to your friends/family. (And of course assuming you don't know people in Florida.) You'll need that support through med school.

Other things to think about.....Is PCOM private? If not, that would definitely influence your decision being a PA resident. How do the rotations compare? Living?

Let us know which school you decide on! :thumbup:

Lari

Bumpity shmump...

I've decided to go PCOM :) It came down to being close to my family and friends, having a good reputation, and well, I've always been a city boy. Nova was a wonderful prospect, but in the end, its so far from the northeast, and the dress code/attendance policy kinda didn't jive with me.

Not that anyone would care that much, but i just wanted let all the peeps who've been following this thread know whats up! Thanks to all who took the time to give me some feedback!

Oh yeah, and anyone whos looking for someone to live/has suggestions for places to live near campus should PM me! I'm so far in the game, I'm scrambling to find a place...a fat whazzup to all my future classmates :D

see, the Bean WAS the deciding factor...

congrats!! yay!

Take that Biochem. This is esp true for academically iffy students. It's better than repeating the whole year, duh.

scrupulous79 said:
Take that Biochem. This is esp true for academically iffy students. It's better than repeating the whole year, duh.

Nobody said I was academically iffy...in fact, I was told once the requirement was WAIVED, that they wanted me to do it becuase I've been out of school for 2 years. :rolleyes:

congrats mete, it seems as if time proved itself to be in your favor =)

i just got my PCOM rejection letter because i forgot to withdraw my application...doh now i feel like a reject. lol.

turkdlit said:
Bumpity shmump...

I've decided to go PCOM :)

congrats! I knew my biased suggestion to choose PCOM would persuade you :laugh: As for housing, PCOM sent a letter a couple months ago saying that there is no rush for housing and that the housing availability for new leases can be obtained I think in May or June. However, I know that they do have a list for housing on their website already that includes things like rent, pets, etc. Congrats again (smart choice!) :thumbup: