PCOM vs GA-PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vickfan1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just for discussion sake, I figure we share some insight with each other. Lets compare & contrast the schools. Share the PROs and CONs perhaps? Clinicals? Etc... Feel free to share anything relevant to this topic.

Ill go first.

Since one is in the heart of Philly and the other is in a suburb of Atlanta, the cost of living favors GA-PCOM.

GA PCOM is probably attractive to those who want a smaller class size.

However, I bet the facilities are better in Philly.

I only applied to GA-PCOM and when i asked how their students fared on COMLEX 1 exam, i was told that the student body performed around the national average of all DO schools. Im not too sure about PCOM's data.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM-Philly is very well-established, and GA-PCOM has not even graduated a class yet. By the time I graduate from GA-PCOM, it will be better (probably because of me), but for now, they are really too young to even be compared to regular PCOM.

I work at a major academic allopathic hospital in Philly, and I can tell you PCOM-Philly graduates are very respected, and many come here for their residencies. It's not easy with UPENN, Jeff, Temple and Drexel all in the same city but PCOM grads stand up well compared to any of them. I can't speak to PCOM-GA. But TT will be going there, so it can't be all that good. :p

Due to the problems many DO schools seem to have with their clinical years, I've decided not to apply to most of them, but I will most certainly be applying to PCOM as I know the quality they put out first hand from working with their grads and also as a patient. It's ridiculous to think but when I got sick, my FP was a PCOM grad, so was the hospitalist, and so was the nephrologist (and I wasn't admitted at a community hospital either). Their grads do very well around here, and even nationally. They've got a huge network around here.

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHA you think City Line is the heart of philly!? We're literally as far you can go out from centre city while still being "within the city". If you cross the street (City Ave), you are in Bala Cynwyd which is a suburb... literally.

Nonetheless, your point stands. You can't find a 1 BR apt near school for less than 750 nor can you find a studio for less than 600. Many students choose roommates.

As far as rep, the pre-clinical preparation is undoubtedly similar and excellent, however with PCOM's established affiliations within Philadelphia and vast network of alumni in the vicinity, you can't beat our reputation or clinical rotations in a DO school, period. We rotate side-by-side with Jeff, Penn, Drexel, and Temple students... And because many of our students are FROM Pennsylvania, many of the residencies around the area that we are affiliated prefer our grads to a certain extent... true story.

Gonna have to give my school the upperhand, but GAP-COM is a nice school that is up-and-coming. Because of its affiliation with PCOM, it is definitely one of the better "branch" campus DO schools.

Just for discussion sake, I figure we share some insight with each other. Lets compare & contrast the schools. Share the PROs and CONs perhaps? Clinicals? Etc... Feel free to share anything relevant to this topic.

Ill go first.

Since one is in the heart of Philly and the other is in a suburb of Atlanta, the cost of living favors GA-PCOM.

GA PCOM is probably attractive to those who want a smaller class size.

However, I bet the facilities are better in Philly.

I only applied to GA-PCOM and when i asked how their students fared on COMLEX 1 exam, i was told that the student body performed around the national average of all DO schools. Im not too sure about PCOM's data.

HAHA you think City Line is the heart of philly!? We're literally as far you can go out from centre city while still being "within the city". If you cross the street (City Ave), you are in Bala Cynwyd which is a suburb... literally.

Nonetheless, your point stands. You can't find a 1 BR apt near school for less than 750 nor can you find a studio for less than 600. Many students choose roommates.

As far as rep, the pre-clinical preparation is undoubtedly similar and excellent, however with PCOM's established affiliations within Philadelphia and vast network of alumni in the vicinity, you can't beat our reputation or clinical rotations in a DO school, period. We rotate side-by-side with Jeff, Penn, Drexel, and Temple students... And because many of our students are FROM Pennsylvania, many of the residencies around the area that we are affiliated prefer our grads to a certain extent... true story.

Gonna have to give my school the upperhand, but GAP-COM is a nice school that is up-and-coming. Because of its affiliation with PCOM, it is definitely one of the better "branch" campus DO schools.

So eloquent my "little" bro. :laugh:

I have to make that decision now, too. The interviewer that I had in Philly told me that the Philly campus was better due to the fact that it has been around longer and is more established. One of the reasons I wanted to be in Philly is because my sister lives there and ironically now she might be moving to Atlanta.

I have to think about it some more, but Philly seems like it’s the place to be. Any other inputs on the pros and cons of each school…

I guess you can’t go too wrong, I mean the are both PCOM.

I work at a major academic allopathic hospital in Philly, and I can tell you PCOM-Philly graduates are very respected, and many come here for their residencies. It's not easy with UPENN, Jeff, Temple and Drexel all in the same city but PCOM grads stand up well compared to any of them. I can't speak to PCOM-GA. But TT will be going there, so it can't be all that good. :p

Due to the problems many DO schools seem to have with their clinical years, I've decided not to apply to most of them, but I will most certainly be applying to PCOM as I know the quality they put out first hand from working with their grads and also as a patient. It's ridiculous to think but when I got sick, my FP was a PCOM grad, so was the hospitalist, and so was the nephrologist (and I wasn't admitted at a community hospital either). Their grads do very well around here, and even nationally. They've got a huge network around here.

Seconded. I also work at an academic allopathic hospital in Philly and PCOM graduates are extremely respected. I have heard quite a few doctors say that they, and Jefferson med students/residents, are the best in the city, especially when it comes to their clinical skills. (Jefferson usually gets number 1. Jefferson is awesome.) PCOM is great though.

Has PCOM sent out interview invites for this month? I would love to go there, but have an acceptance elsewhere. Should I tell them I've been accepted somewhere else but wanna stay in the philly area?

I have to make that decision now, too. The interviewer that I had in Philly told me that the Philly campus was better due to the fact that it has been around longer and is more established. One of the reasons I wanted to be in Philly is because my sister lives there and ironically now she might be moving to Atlanta.

My application was complete at PCOM-Philadelphia about a month later than it was at GA-PCOM. I was accepted at GA-PCOM, but I still have not had an interview at the Philly campus. I just called the Admissions office today and they told me that I might not be considered at the Philly campus because I had already accepted a seat in the GA campus. She said she wasn't sure though and suggested that I email admissions. I was only given a week to send in my deposit for GA, and I didn't think it would affect my application in Philly. I wouldn't have wanted to risk giving up my seat for the possibility of an interview in Philly. As it stands now, I think it's probably too late in the game for that to happen anyway. They stop interviewing in March and she said that most of the interview spots were filled. :(
So you applied and were accepted to both campuses?

Yah but I think I was a unique case. They told me I was interviewed in GA because I'm from Texas and they were recruiting people from Texas.

On the other hand, I did my undergrad in PA and there are a good number of students from my school who go to PCOM. Also, I have done lots of clinical rotations and research in one of the health systems that the Philly campus is linked with. The admissions office told me the same thing, but I think I might have been an exception but I have no idea. Good luck! Try emailing them to find out... tell them that you want to be in Philly. But, I would not give up your set at GA if I were you. I put down my deposit and then 3 weeks later got my interview letter from PCOM in Philly. They know you were accepted either way.. it probably looks worse if you turn down the spot I would think, but I'm not an expert.

When it comes down to it they are both PCOM so that's good. Good luck!

Hey Max, is PCOM's class of 2012 filled up already? Are they still giving out interviews?

Chuck Norris got into both.

I can't believe you just implied that Chuck Norris would even bother with school. Not his fault that every medical school in the world just sends an acceptance like it is an AOL disc.