PCOM vs. MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireflygirl

The Ultimate Blindian
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted at both schools and am having a hard time deciding where to go. Because MSUCOM doesn't give out a lot of interviews, I haven't had the chance to visit the school but will be in early December. I live in Philadelphia and work at CHOP so I am very familiar with PCOM and its cirriculum, students,..etc but don't know that much about MSUCOM. Any one that has accepted there willing to share what they like, dislike, clerkship information....etc with me? I would love to hear anything and everything about the school since the only thing I know about MSUCOM is its reputation.

Thanks!

Fireflygirl

Members don't see this ad.

Both are great schools, I suggest go to the cheapest. If you can get instate tuition go msu because the out of state price tage is like 50g.

And it stays that way for all 4years!
you'll end up paying +120K in long run.
I interviewed at MSUCOM(one of the few interviewees. I know~). School is in middle of rural country setting. But there are shopping centers and Lansing is just mins drive. I kinda like the settings, though. it seems like a good place to just study. COM occupies one building in health science complex in MSU(try google map to see what the campus looks like). The whole campus is pretty big~ The basic sciences are taken together with allo students. Their residency is linked up with state wide hospital system(I think that's what it's called) which is good since transition from clinical years to residency is very smooth. I heard most graduates end up doing residency at same hosp they did their clinical years.
I got waitlisted with guarantee acceptance for next year. I guess I can move there and establish residency(which take 1 year), then I can pay instate tuition(~23K). But I got into PCOM. so, why should I wait another year? And even if I get off the waitlist, is +120K really worth it? I guess the whole interview experience didn't convince me that much. it is good school and I like their idea of studying medicine as a team work but so does all the other schools. However, MI is only state that has Hemo-Onco residency according to AOA. Otherwise, I'll have to look into allo residency, may need to take both boards. hum... And MI, has alot of residency offered than other states(http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/)

Some people says chose the school that fits you. One that you feel that you belong there or something like that. well, I felt like I belong to all the schools I been to(3) ^^

quick fact about DOs in the philly region, if you do a search for physicians in einstein or upenn, almost all of the doc are from PCOM(including the director of cardiology in upenn)

I hope this post help you find the school that "fits you."
And congrats on both acceptances:thumbup:

ps, did you post this on med student forum? you may get couple responses.
pps, I know someone from my school that went to work at CHOP. are you affiliated with the Owl?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jae -

Thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate it! It's a good start and I think I will ultimately have to hit up the school to see it for what it is. Thanks again!

And btw, not affiliated with the owl at CHOP. I work in Endo.

-Fireflygirl

Damn Jae--- I really liked you too! Making all of us feel under-dressed =) I wanted you to be in my class!

As far as MSUCOM goes--- Jae hit the nail on the head... and there is nothing major that I can add really... They use prosected bodies, which might be a consideration if you MUST cut your own bodies...

But in all honestly, If you're not in-state, I'd say no to MSU for the simple fact that 50k for tuition is RIDICULOUS... but their reasoning is sound for it being so high (higher chance of pulling in-staters to the school... increasing the chances of them STAYING in-state as a career)...

Then again--- you could always come back to the fact that you'll be in class with ME--- that alone has to be worth the extra 150k over four years.... I mean, I'm a juggling, fighting, boxing, photography business owner! :laugh:...

Anyone can feel free to email me if you have any questions about a pre-med's opinion about MSUCOM--- I might be able to answer em... [email protected]

I am curious... how does MSU (MD and DO) match us VS wayne state...

I heard wayne state has sweet clinical rotations for thier MS3 & 4.... I was wondering how would MSU match up

Hey, Darktide~
One thing I'm going to miss the most is not having you as my class buddy~
and it is a big part of med school exp, I think.
I hope to find awesome buddy like you at PCOM or wherever I end up.
Enjoy the rest of the school year~

fireflygirl,
if you are flying there...you know there is a airport in lansing. But tickets are expensive. But some hotels have shuttle to the airport and to the school. I'm not sure if it's right to the COM building.
i end up going to grand rapid and drive about an hour. Detroit is the other choice, which is about the same distance...

Enjoy the scenery~