PCS questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drill-and-fill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I got some PCS'ing questions as I've never used move.mil before (did DITY move before).

1. On DPS' website, it says that 'shipment of POV is not authorized except under specific circumstances.' I thought PCS move allows shipments of POV's?

2. Another question asks if I will be storing my goods instead of shipping them. My situation is this: I'll be leaving my school around mid-May but I will not be able to move into my new place until mid-June so I have to store my goods somewhere. Is it possible for the Navy to store my goods at some location and then deliver them to me in mid-June?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You thought wrong. Unless you're going overseas or fall under the exceptions.

2. The TSP will arrange for storage-in-transit which the Navy will pay for.

Reactions: 1 user
They will ship your POV CONUS to OCONUS (vice versa) for you, but not ship it CONUS to CONUS. You drive, they pay mileage. Also if you drive POV you are authorized travel days that aren't charged as leave. Your orders will specify if shipment of POV is authorized or not.
If you have orders, you can have HHG packed/shipped and you are authorized a certain amount of time of temporary storage til you find lodging at next duty station. usually about 90 days. if you read your orders they will have a line item about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your answers.

One more question; would I be allowed to receive DLA once I get to my duty location? Im married btw.
Make sure you count exactly what your entitlements are. Many times people put in a travel claim and consider done once they get a chunk of change deposited. I was shorted about $6K during one of my moves and it took about 7 months to recover.

This is important. Figure out the mileage and do the ballpark numbers yourself. They paid me at the wrong rank which would have shorted me a grand if I didn't call them on it

I've always had the opposite problem.
You get overpaid? We are no longer friends...

I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time doing forensic accounting to understand what I was paid for and what I wasn't paid for. AOP in MyPay just gives an amount and a funding line, but does not specify what you were paid for. The PS's and YN's were helpful, but once they TOPS'd everything over it magically went over to someone who slapped together some arbitrary amount. Can you imagine the millions of dollars the DoD saves every year with improperly paid travel claims? Wow.

You get overpaid? We are no longer friends...

I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time doing forensic accounting to understand what I was paid for and what I wasn't paid for. AOP in MyPay just gives an amount and a funding line, but does not specify what you were paid for. The PS's and YN's were helpful, but once they TOPS'd everything over it magically went over to someone who slapped together some arbitrary amount. Can you imagine the millions of dollars the DoD saves every year with improperly paid travel claims? Wow.

Overpaid is not a good thing. They take it back, quite aggressively.

After the first instance (which I had identified within 3 weeks of reporting to ODS but PSD had repeatedly claimed I was wrong), I ended up having several checks halved. And only because I pushed them not to zero out two checks.

Also got paid DLA when I wasn't supposed to. And then got paid DLA twice for the same PCS. At that point I knew to put the money in savings and at least gain a few cents interest on it before they took it back.

Jeez. Good for you that you were ready for it. I hate when they do that. Getting them to pay you what they owe takes a miracle, but if you owe them even when they are wrong (as in your case) they take it ALL right away. Whenever I would meet someone who got overpaid Because they PCS'd from an area with higher BAH I would tell them to do exactly what you did.

I was not paid DLA, then paid at the wrong rank, mileage for only 1 car, per diem for only me and 1 of my kids (for the wrong number of days), and no TLE. I poured over these numbers for hours to figure out what hodgepodge of payments I was given so I can tell them what they did wrong. PSD was ridiculous, and they wouldn't talk to the servicemember; they only spoke to the command's yeomen. Such a pain...

It took over 5 months to get my dental bonus pay. I had everything filled out within days of arriving but the S-1 forgot to send in the contract even though he insisted he did. It took a slow afternoon and me calling a dozen of finance phone numbers I found off Google until I figured out he dropped the ball. Military finances is the peak of military inefficiency.

It took over 5 months to get my dental bonus pay. I had everything filled out within days of arriving but the S-1 forgot to send in the contract even though he insisted he did. It took a slow afternoon and me calling a dozen of finance phone numbers I found off Google until I figured out he dropped the ball. Military finances is the peak of military inefficiency.

...did you get backpay for the 2 months that you didnt get your bonus pay? It usually takes 90 days after graduation to get that, right?

Yeah, 5 months actually, and I got it all eventually but no interest or anything like that. I would estimate it should take about 45 days after you sign your contract if everything goes smoothly and everyone does their job. To sign, you need to have in-processed, get your dental license/degree verified, and at least start the credentialing process. This is where a lot of new grads lose some money, since while the military owes you bonus from the effective date of your contract it's up to you to get them all the paperwork required and hound them about having you sign. They know this but otherwise how would you, so my advice is when you get to your first duty station have all your paperwork done right away and ask how soon you can sign your contract, and keep asking until you do. Once the contract is signed it's sent off to a medical-specific finance office (if you're part of a group of incoming dentists I imagine they twiddle their thumbs and wait to send everyone's contract as a packet, so here is another delay). The medical finance office processes these contracts once per pay period and sends them off as a group to DFAS, so expect maybe 2-4wks delay here. DFAS gets these verified contracts and back pays you and starts your bonus starting the next pay period, so expect another 2-4wks delay. Even if you have everything taken care of ASAP, most of this process is out of your control and comes down to luck, timing, and govt inefficiency.