PCSing to Balboa...questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

155HE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why in the world are they PCS'ing a graduating resident from Bethesda to San Diego??? What a waste of funds, but oh well.....(more of a rhetorical question, or maybe you're going to fellowship)

Anyway, to the questions:

Commute times are going to vary by what time you go in and exactly where you live in those communities. Pt Loma could be 10 minutes if you lived near the 8 or 40 minutes if you lived deeper. The others are probably about the same time wise in comparison to each other and a bit further than pt Loma. Personally I don't know anyone who lives in any of those areas other than one person in point Loma and I may have heard of one person in La Mesa. I would consider also adding the Eastlake area of Chula Vista on your list and depending on the size house you want you could try to look on Coronado, but that one would be tough.

No, you are definitely not biking from any of those places. Maybe parts of Point Loma would be possible but only if you were really into biking.

Shipping a car would be at your expense.

The command climate & quirks are going to depend on your workspace. Never heard of anyone having any real issues within radiology from the people i know.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I went to Eastlake for a year in Chula Vista. It was ok. I saw about 5 Latina fights (aka strip show), 1 knife fight, and about a dozen other fights during my year there. I never felt threatened but there are drugs and gangs. The elementary school my brother went to was pretty good in the same area. The middle school, attended by my sister, was BAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm graduating residency at Walter Reed/Bethesda this summer and will be PCSing to Balboa.

I have 3 kids (7, 4, 2) and wish to live on my base pay and monthly entitlements without dipping into ASP and ISP (Radiology). I've been looking at greatschools.org and know where some of the good school districts are...was wondering if anybody knows of some hidden gems or good neighborhoods/school districts that offer a balance of reasonable cost of living and commute time to the hospital. Ideally we are interested in family friendly neighborhoods with rents less than $3500/month to start out.

Specifically...interested in commute times from: Carmel Valley area, Point Loma, Spring Valley, La Mesa.

Is the city friendly to bike commuters? Can you cycle from any of the above neighborhoods?

We plan to drive cross country and do some sight seeing on our way. Can a second car be shipped?

Lastly, can anyone stationed at Balboa comment on the command climate and other quirks of the hospital?

Thanks very much.

Your best chance for a bikeable commute that meet your budget and housing requirements would be Golden Hills. Nothing adjoining Balboa park is going to be affordable and everything else is way too far. Also please be aware that the hospital is at the top of an absolutely miserable hill and therefore is not for the casual cyclist.

Last edited:
I went to Eastlake for a year in Chula Vista. It was ok. I saw about 5 Latina fights (aka strip show), 1 knife fight, and about a dozen other fights during my year there. I never felt threatened but there are drugs and gangs. The elementary school my brother went to was pretty good in the same area. The middle school, attended by my sister, was BAD.

:rofl:

Ah memories...that reminds me of my middle school in LA