nope80

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
Status
Do most students have these? If so what do they use them for (pardon my ignorance about this):)? Is it worth the extra money to get one of these? I'm just trying to figure out what applications people use to see if it is something that is necessary.

doc20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2007
Cleveland
Status
Attending Physician
it really helps to have 3g internet available and be able to look up stuff on touch
there is also uptodate which i think is a great resource
and epocrates is very helpful for drug doses and such

Tori's dad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have used diagnosaurus, epocrates and dynamed many times in the clinical setting. THere is a netter anatomy application available that would be useful if I had the money to pay for it. I used this quite a bit on my family medicine rotation, and I imagine it will come in handy on medicine as well. I did not find it useful on urology, anesthesia, neuro, psych.

About the Ads

bigDinLV

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Vegas baby!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Something with Epocrates will be very useful. It's great when a resident asks if you happen to have it for some dose, then boooo when you don't have it on you. You can use it for doses, disease info, even to help with differentials, a lot of different things.

gluon999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just out of curiosity (not to hijack this thread) but does anyone know if epocrates works with non-pda phones like LG Dare, Voyager, ENV2, etc? I am thinking of getting a new phone besides the I-phone or blackberry that would be compatible with epocrates.

NeuroTox

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
I got the Blackberry Bold and have pretty much everything I need availble on it.

bjackrian

15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Attending Physician
Just out of curiosity (not to hijack this thread) but does anyone know if epocrates works with non-pda phones like LG Dare, Voyager, ENV2, etc? I am thinking of getting a new phone besides the I-phone or blackberry that would be compatible with epocrates.
I have a Motorola Q (which runs on Windows Mobile 6) and there is a version of Epocrates for it (that supposedly works on all Windows Mobile phones). Coming from Palm, I was surprised that it only included the forumlary and one of the other Epocrates programs that required the touch screen that Palm provided.

yohimbine1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I like my Blackberry Curve a lot. I would get a Bold but I'm not with AT&T. Avoid the Storm. Also Apple products aren't for me. Don't get a simple PDA; they're obsolete now without phone functionality and preferably some camera functionality as well.

Consider a Blackberry over a Q. It has far more functionality. There's a reason corporate America has fallen in love with it.

gluon999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I like my Blackberry Curve a lot. I would get a Bold but I'm not with AT&T. Avoid the Storm. Also Apple products aren't for me. Don't get a simple PDA; they're obsolete now without phone functionality and preferably some camera functionality as well.

Consider a Blackberry over a Q. It has far more functionality. There's a reason corporate America has fallen in love with it.
With the blackberry, do you have to get the internet/email plan? Can you just get the phone minutes but skip the internet plan? As far as I've heard, that is not possible...is that right?

bjackrian

15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Attending Physician
It's true that the Blackberries are more functional, but at least when I bought mine a few months ago, the Q was >$100 cheaper, and I don't need/want the added functionality of the Blackberry. If you'll use the extra functionality, the Blackberry is definitely the way to go.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
How much does the email plan cost for a Blackberry on top of paying for phone service? Can you bundle them and get a discount if you order both?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is a Q? :oops:

JHopRevisit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2008
Status
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, keep your current phone and get an ipod touch as a supplement. You can load epocrates and other medical apps and use your hospitals wifi to access online resources. It's $200, but you don't have to pay the ridiculous monthly charges and don't have to switch over to AT&T. Honestly, since my entire life is spent in the hospital now, $30 a month is just not worth it for the few hours I'm out of wifi range. Just waiting for a good off-line differential application and I'll be all set.

Plus its fun. I'm usually an apple hater, and I'll never get an apple desktop/laptop, but you have to give it to them, they make good, simple, fun stuff.

treonaut

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Yeah,

some kind of pda is good, especially something with email access. I didn't realize this until midway through my fourth year (a few months ago) when I switched from a palm treo (no data plan) to a blackberry, and suddenly i was replying to emails about interviews within minutes or hours instead of a day or so. Sometimes interview spots are filled up and if you can get back to the coordinator within a few hours means that you get that interview spot compared to someone who just checks their email once or twice a day.

doozenberg

15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
How much does the email plan cost for a Blackberry on top of paying for phone service? Can you bundle them and get a discount if you order both?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is a Q? :oops:
I have a BlackBerry on Verizon and I pay $30/month for the unlimited internet/email data plan alone. I do not believe there is a discount; in fact, my understanding is some type of data plan is required if you have a BlackBerry, at least on Verizon.

inthe415

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
So many cool apps! My current preceptor has me look up info from epocrates while we're talking with patients. Also useful are the med cards, lange flash cards, epoymous, normal lab values, and many more. It seem sthat every week a new med related app pops up.

There is even a voice recorder app that I use.

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Somewhere in time and relative dimensions in space
Status
Medical Student
I have a 650 Treo (combined PDA & phone) with the full version of Epocrates installed. It, with a few Epocrates add-ons (medCalc, BMI recommendations, etc) are all I need. I use it daily. I also update the schedule function at the beginning of each rotation to store all of my schedules (classes, clinics, inpt) in one place.

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
So many cool apps! My current preceptor has me look up info from epocrates while we're talking with patients. Also useful are the med cards, lange flash cards, epoymous, normal lab values, and many more. It seem sthat every week a new med related app pops up.

There is even a voice recorder app that I use.
Are you using the full epocrates version that just came out? If so how do you like it?

I think I'm going the iPhone route when I start rotations in June. Have an old HP ipaq and I'm kind of a gadget guy so I'm comfortable with windows mobile..... at this point though I just don't want to have to put up with it's issues, and the interface on the iphone is just soo nice I think I'm sold.

Man In White

Cervical Warden
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The updated ePocrates for iPhone has many new features, but I'd like to see a function to generate a differential for a given symptom. Also, the medical information portion is still lacking in breadth (the pharm portion kicks ass as always).

When that is done and Sanford releases its iPhone version and someone gets UpToDate on the iPhone I'll be set. :>

About the Ads