Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

PDA iphone blackberry for 3rd year?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by nope80, Dec 29, 2008.

1. nope80

nope80 Resident
    10+ Year Member

Do most students have these? If so what do they use them for (pardon my ignorance about this):)? Is it worth the extra money to get one of these? I'm just trying to figure out what applications people use to see if it is something that is necessary.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc20

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    it really helps to have 3g internet available and be able to look up stuff on touch
    there is also uptodate which i think is a great resource
    and epocrates is very helpful for drug doses and such

4. Tori's dad

Tori's dad Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have used diagnosaurus, epocrates and dynamed many times in the clinical setting. THere is a netter anatomy application available that would be useful if I had the money to pay for it. I used this quite a bit on my family medicine rotation, and I imagine it will come in handy on medicine as well. I did not find it useful on urology, anesthesia, neuro, psych.

5. bigDinLV

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Something with Epocrates will be very useful. It's great when a resident asks if you happen to have it for some dose, then boooo when you don't have it on you. You can use it for doses, disease info, even to help with differentials, a lot of different things.

6. gluon999

gluon999 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just out of curiosity (not to hijack this thread) but does anyone know if epocrates works with non-pda phones like LG Dare, Voyager, ENV2, etc? I am thinking of getting a new phone besides the I-phone or blackberry that would be compatible with epocrates.

7. NeuroTox

2+ Year Member

I got the Blackberry Bold and have pretty much everything I need availble on it.

8. bjackrian

bjackrian Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have a Motorola Q (which runs on Windows Mobile 6) and there is a version of Epocrates for it (that supposedly works on all Windows Mobile phones). Coming from Palm, I was surprised that it only included the forumlary and one of the other Epocrates programs that required the touch screen that Palm provided.

9. yohimbine1

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like my Blackberry Curve a lot. I would get a Bold but I'm not with AT&T. Avoid the Storm. Also Apple products aren't for me. Don't get a simple PDA; they're obsolete now without phone functionality and preferably some camera functionality as well.

Consider a Blackberry over a Q. It has far more functionality. There's a reason corporate America has fallen in love with it.

10. gluon999

gluon999 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    With the blackberry, do you have to get the internet/email plan? Can you just get the phone minutes but skip the internet plan? As far as I've heard, that is not possible...is that right?

11. bjackrian

bjackrian Senior Member

Attending Physician
    It's true that the Blackberries are more functional, but at least when I bought mine a few months ago, the Q was >$100 cheaper, and I don't need/want the added functionality of the Blackberry. If you'll use the extra functionality, the Blackberry is definitely the way to go.

12. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    How much does the email plan cost for a Blackberry on top of paying for phone service? Can you bundle them and get a discount if you order both?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is a Q? :oops:

13. bjackrian

bjackrian Senior Member

Attending Physician
  14. JHopRevisit

7+ Year Member

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, keep your current phone and get an ipod touch as a supplement. You can load epocrates and other medical apps and use your hospitals wifi to access online resources. It's $200, but you don't have to pay the ridiculous monthly charges and don't have to switch over to AT&T. Honestly, since my entire life is spent in the hospital now, $30 a month is just not worth it for the few hours I'm out of wifi range. Just waiting for a good off-line differential application and I'll be all set.

Plus its fun. I'm usually an apple hater, and I'll never get an apple desktop/laptop, but you have to give it to them, they make good, simple, fun stuff.

15. treonaut

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah,

some kind of pda is good, especially something with email access. I didn't realize this until midway through my fourth year (a few months ago) when I switched from a palm treo (no data plan) to a blackberry, and suddenly i was replying to emails about interviews within minutes or hours instead of a day or so. Sometimes interview spots are filled up and if you can get back to the coordinator within a few hours means that you get that interview spot compared to someone who just checks their email once or twice a day.

16. doozenberg

doozenberg Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have a BlackBerry on Verizon and I pay $30/month for the unlimited internet/email data plan alone. I do not believe there is a discount; in fact, my understanding is some type of data plan is required if you have a BlackBerry, at least on Verizon.

17. inthe415

inthe415 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So many cool apps! My current preceptor has me look up info from epocrates while we're talking with patients. Also useful are the med cards, lange flash cards, epoymous, normal lab values, and many more. It seem sthat every week a new med related app pops up.

There is even a voice recorder app that I use.

18. RxnMan

RxnMan Who, me? A doctor?
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a 650 Treo (combined PDA & phone) with the full version of Epocrates installed. It, with a few Epocrates add-ons (medCalc, BMI recommendations, etc) are all I need. I use it daily. I also update the schedule function at the beginning of each rotation to store all of my schedules (classes, clinics, inpt) in one place.

19. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Are you using the full epocrates version that just came out? If so how do you like it?

I think I'm going the iPhone route when I start rotations in June. Have an old HP ipaq and I'm kind of a gadget guy so I'm comfortable with windows mobile..... at this point though I just don't want to have to put up with it's issues, and the interface on the iphone is just soo nice I think I'm sold.

20. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

I have the full ePocrates on my iPod Touch. It's nice.

21. Man In White

Man In White Cervical Warden
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The updated ePocrates for iPhone has many new features, but I'd like to see a function to generate a differential for a given symptom. Also, the medical information portion is still lacking in breadth (the pharm portion kicks ass as always).

When that is done and Sanford releases its iPhone version and someone gets UpToDate on the iPhone I'll be set. :>