PDA? Palm pilot? Pocket PC? PDA for the Pharm.D student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babu428

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I could help me find out what kind of PDA, pocket PC or Palm I should be getting my girlfriend who will be going to Maryland next fall. She's just entering the Pharm.D program there so i wanted her to have all the tools she needs without worrying about it. Please help me find out! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I could help me find out what kind of PDA, pocket PC or Palm I should be getting my girlfriend who will be going to Maryland next fall. She's just entering the Pharm.D program there so i wanted her to have all the tools she needs without worrying about it. Please help me find out! Thanks!

babu428 said:

There is a very informative thread about this on the pharmacy forums. If it isn't stickied, it should be easy to find (you can do a search). You're a nice boyfriend for thinking ahead!

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, what a wonderful boyfriend - so sweet and considerate!

however, sneaky, that he is not ;)

Wow....I have to find a boyfriend like you!!!! :love:

I'm a current P2 student, and at my school, Palms (or the like) aren't needed until the end of the third year. You may want to check with her to be sure that its something she'll utilize for things outside of checking drug information and interactions (like as a very expensive planner). Also, since technology changes by the nanosecond, investing in a Palm/PDA now and not really getting the full benefit of it until much later may ultimately set you back. I'm not familiar with the Maryland curriculum, so what I've said may be completely irrelevant. And if it is and she needs one on Day 1, well... can't help you there :cool:

I probably wouldn't get a device until she needs knows exactly what software she wants to use. Then compile the list of devices it runs on and other things she'd like to do with the device (email, contacts, documents, MP3/WMAs, videos, etc). From there, you can make a more intelligent decission about what device to get (Palm/WindowsOS, Phone/no phone, how much memory, etc.)

I have the Palm LifeDrive, as does the pharmacist that I work with. I got it b/c it has 4 gigs of memory to store info such as documents, music... I'm currently using it to store documents for school, such as word and pdf files. It's a bit on the pricey side, but if you get it at Circuit City with their warranty, you can get it replaced if it breaks within two years. Actually, Circiut City will give you a gift card for the amount that you paid for the LifeDrive, and you can use it to purchase another LifeDrive or anything else that you want.
The previous pharmacist I worked with had the Dell Axim (?), and he really liked it. He used epocrates on it, and there is also a pda version of identadrug.
Good luck in your search!

Gizmo said:
I have the Palm LifeDrive, as does the pharmacist that I work with. I got it b/c it has 4 gigs of memory to store info such as documents, music... I'm currently using it to store documents for school, such as word and pdf files. It's a bit on the pricey side, but if you get it at Circuit City with their warranty, you can get it replaced if it breaks within two years. Actually, Circiut City will give you a gift card for the amount that you paid for the LifeDrive, and you can use it to purchase another LifeDrive or anything else that you want.
The previous pharmacist I worked with had the Dell Axim (?), and he really liked it. He used epocrates on it, and there is also a pda version of identadrug.
Good luck in your search!

i also have the lifedrive, and i love it. it has everything you could possibly want in a pda, it's like carrying around a mini laptop computer. you can install epocrates for free, but if you're willing to pay for a drug reference program, lexicomp would probably be the best.

Merging duplicate threads and moving them to one forum. It is not necessary to create duplicate threads. :)

Good luck with finding a PDA or Pocket PC for your girlfriend. That's very nice of you. :)