Quantcast

Technology PDA Software

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebesgue

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
176
Reaction score
1

Members don't see this ad.
I just got a PDA and now I need some software. I already did a search and found some info, but software changes weekly, so what do you all out there in MS III/IV land recommend in terms of utility vs price?

I'm an MS II.5

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:)
 

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2001
Messages
1,084
Reaction score
6
IMHO, these are the essentials:

1) A medical dictionary- some also have nice explanations of what a disease is (instead of just a definition), so they are more like a mini-encyclopedia (Dorland's, Stedman's, Taber's)...

2) Some medical reference - Good for reviewing the pathophys, symptoms, treatment of common diseases you'll encounter (5min Clin Consult, Wash manual, pocket cecil's)

3) A Rx program - the pocket mini-Tarascon is still king (proven by med student "quick draws") but it's nice to have something on your PDA- go with Epocrates (free) or Dr. Drugs

I wouldn't waste money on anything other than one program from each category above. Hope that helps..
 

Lebesgue

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
176
Reaction score
1
That helps, thanks!

Anyone else?
 

Monika

PA-C
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Great suggestions..PA student here in my clinical year, thought I'd offer a couple of suggestions.

Free downloads:
1) Archimedes (for medical calculations like celsius to farenheit, creatinine clearance, drug dosing, BMI, lbs. to kgs, etc)
2) Diagnosaurus: for a quick list of differentials by sign/symptoms

Not free:
3) ABC2LabData: has come in handy for lab info, tests, etc.

Good website for products:
www.skyscape.com

Good luck!
M
 

Hawk22

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
318
Reaction score
0
Echoing many of the above comments, I highly recommend:

1. Epocrates--I just use the free version and its great. I don't know anyone who has the more expensive program, so I can't make a recommendation either way on it.

2. Diagnosauras-- A great free program with lots of useful differential diagnoses.

3. 5 Minute Clinical Consult-- VERY, VERY useful and wel worth the money. It has saved me many times when I could quickly look up a disease and then be pimped on it a minute later. Its just enough information to really be helpful without giving you too little or too much.
 

NateatUC

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2004
Messages
126
Reaction score
1
I'll add a few:

1. Eponyms - ever wonder what Bing's sign is? It'll tell you about that, and anything else that's ever been named after anyone!

2. Medical Calculator: MedCalc - has lots of formulas for calculating lots of stuff.

And for specific rotations:

3. An OB Wheel is a must - you'll use it all the time on OB/GYN. There are bunch of different free ones out there.

4. Stat Growthcharts: a program that will calculate a kid's place on the CDC growth charts. Nice to have on peds.

5. Shots 2004 - the recommened immunization schedule, in diagram form, also has info about the different vaccines. Again useful for peds.

And all of these are totally FREE.
 

mfrederi

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Messages
131
Reaction score
1
The free johns hopkins Abx guide. It is great. Cross referenced by bug, drug, and diagnosis. It is great, wish they had one with all the meds.
 

Heeed!

On target, On time!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Messages
700
Reaction score
0
I have Dorland's, Griffith's 5MCC, ABC Labdata, and Archimedes. Good for M's2.5.
 

grayce79

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
114
Reaction score
2
I love my PDA!

Here's what programs I've bought so far:

1) epocrates pro - love it, can't live without it!

2)5mcc - love it! Makes you look like a star! It gives you symptoms, epidem, differential dx, studies to order, treatments, etc. Well worth the mula.

3)5mcc peds - just as good, but more expensive and you only end up really using it when you are on peds. I recommend this if you were actually going into peds.

4)Surgical Recall - nice to have this whenever you need it on surgery, but this program ran very slooow on my pda!

5)Stedmans - love it, can't live without it

I also have some freeware like handyref, but I hardly ever use it.
 

Lebesgue

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
176
Reaction score
1
Hey everyone who chimed in...

Thanks a bunch! I just got my PDA and I love it. I also just finished up path and have my micro shelf tomorrow... PDA, micro, PDA, micro, PDA...

Anyway, I'm going to go with many of your suggestions. Looking forward to next semester, and moreover, the third year! My butt can't take much more of classroom work.

Thanks again.

:D
 

surge

Medicinski Znanstvenik
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
685
Reaction score
0
So here's a question: do most of you use Palm OS or Pocket PC based PDAs? And are most of these programs available for one or the other or both? Thanks.
 

JunkintheTrunk

Blondes are smrt
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Messages
2,502
Reaction score
0
i just downloaded the PDR from their website (www.pdr.net ...FREE :))....even though i'm only an MS-I, i use it a ton for our cases, and i'm sure it will come in handy later too :D
 

phoenixsupra

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2004
Messages
6,466
Reaction score
0
Mike59 said:
IMHO, these are the essentials:

1) A medical dictionary- some also have nice explanations of what a disease is (instead of just a definition), so they are more like a mini-encyclopedia (Dorland's, Stedman's, Taber's)...

2) Some medical reference - Good for reviewing the pathophys, symptoms, treatment of common diseases you'll encounter (5min Clin Consult, Wash manual, pocket cecil's)

3) A Rx program - the pocket mini-Tarascon is still king (proven by med student "quick draws") but it's nice to have something on your PDA- go with Epocrates (free) or Dr. Drugs

I wouldn't waste money on anything other than one program from each category above. Hope that helps..


Where can I get stuff like this FOR FREE? Especially the dictionary and the eponyms. I have the medcalc and the cheepie epoc. They're not worth snot. I almost never use them. I need PDA goodies but I don't have a single spare been? What can I do? I don't give a toss about IP laws BTW.
 
Members don't see this ad :)

Howard Roark

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
564
Reaction score
0
DRUGS

epocrates click

micromedex click

mobilePDR click

sanford guide (free beta) click

MEDICAL CALCULATORS

archimedes click

DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS

diagnosaurus click

DIAGNOSIS/THERAPY

merck manual & pocket guide to diagnostic tests click

LINKS TO LINKS

tulane click

pocketpcsoft.net click

pocketpcfreewares.com click

EPONYMS

eponyms click

OFFICE-TYPE STUFF

ia presenter (powerpoint) (trial) click

overdrive (create e-books) click

adobe reader click

iSilo click

FLASH_IT

flash_it (not free) click

flash_it study guides (free) click

ISILO

iSilo (trial) click

iSilo Medical Documents (free) click

EMULATION (GAMES)

nintendo NES (free) click

atart 2600 (free) click

various emulation (free) click

.
 

phoenixsupra

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2004
Messages
6,466
Reaction score
0
Thanks, but what I want is a dictionary and eponym program.....for free.
 

jwin

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
183
Reaction score
1
someone attempted to ask this question in the pda software thread but didn't get a response. i am an ms2.5 and we have to have a pda when 3rd year starts. what do you guys think are the best palm os pda's and what are the best pocket pc's? thanks.
 

Entei

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2002
Messages
1,091
Reaction score
2
This will probably get bumped to the technology forum, but...

I used to be a big fan of Palm PDAs, but this year Santa's bringing me an Axim x50v for Christmas. Pocket PCs are ridiculously powerful now; some are like mini-laptops with Wi-Fi and VGA screens and 600+mhz processors. Palms are still like toys though, especially now that PalmOne doesn't have much competition anymore. (They're pretty much the only company still making Palm PDAs now that Sony dropped out of the US market.) The most powerful Palm right now is the Tungsten T5, and it doesn't even have built-in Wi-Fi. Sure, you don't really need any of these cool features if all you want is to carry around a digital medical dictionary, but if you want to know the most powerful PDA, there's no question that it's a PPC . PPCs can even emulate the PSX! Palm won't be able to do that for another... maybe 20 years or so. :laugh:
 

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 24, 2003
Messages
3,515
Reaction score
1,489
as an ms4, I can tell you I used my palm about 4 times throughout all of my ms3 year. it's utterly useless; save your money for residency interviews.
 

jwin

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
183
Reaction score
1
thanks entei, awesome post. if anyone else can say what pda they have and if they like it, i'd appreciate it.
 

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,528
Reaction score
23
doc05 said:
as an ms4, I can tell you I used my palm about 4 times throughout all of my ms3 year. it's utterly useless; save your money for residency interviews.

My palm has been incredibley useful to me. It's a great medical resource (especially if you have the skyscape crack). And also a great information organizer; much better then my old dork book I used in college. And then there are the games!
 

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,528
Reaction score
23
Entei said:
This will probably get bumped to the technology forum, but...

I used to be a big fan of Palm PDAs, but this year Santa's bringing me an Axim x50v for Christmas. Pocket PCs are ridiculously powerful now; some are like mini-laptops with Wi-Fi and VGA screens and 600+mhz processors. Palms are still like toys though, especially now that PalmOne doesn't have much competition anymore. (They're pretty much the only company still making Palm PDAs now that Sony dropped out of the US market.) The most powerful Palm right now is the Tungsten T5, and it doesn't even have built-in Wi-Fi. Sure, you don't really need any of these cool features if all you want is to carry around a digital medical dictionary, but if you want to know the most powerful PDA, there's no question that it's a PPC . PPCs can even emulate the PSX! Palm won't be able to do that for another... maybe 20 years or so. :laugh:

I agree that pocket pc's are probably better then pda's now. However, there is no skyscape crack available for pocket pc's. So if you're the techy type person that will put the time in to figure out how to follow basic steps in a tutorial for cracking the skyscape programs, pda's are the way to go. Otherwise, have fun using crappy free software or paying 80 bucks for every good program. Meanwhile my pda has A2Zdrugs (blows epocrates away), MedTests, HbDxTests, WU Int serv guide, Wash man 3.1, med recall, surg recall, usmle 1 secrets, usmle 2 secrets, 5 minute clincal consult, 5 min id consult, ferri guide, IM on Call, and steadman's complete med dictionary all for FREE. Plus, everytime you do a rotation you can download the skyscape programs specific to that rotation that you'd never buy otherwise. For example, on my last obgyn rotation I downloaded obgyn recall, JHUObgyn, Pocket Obgyn, and Wash U Obgyn.

As soon as I stop taking out huge loans and get an income next year I'll stop hacking and buy the most useful programs (STEADMANS, a2zdrugs, and 5mcc). Plus I'll probably also buy a couple other programs specific to my specialty. But as students, I don't think it's that morally wrong to not pay for downloaded programs, especially if you're only going to be needing them for 4 weeks during your rotation.
 
Members don't see this ad :)

Trisomy13

ultra
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
44
phoenixsupra said:
Where can I get stuff like this FOR FREE? Especially the dictionary and the eponyms. I have the medcalc and the cheepie epoc. They're not worth snot. I almost never use them. I need PDA goodies but I don't have a single spare been? What can I do? I don't give a toss about IP laws BTW.

most schools have at least one student with a friend of a friend of a friend who has the Skyscape products cracked and free on a cd. Find this person, beg for the cd... hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of software for free. i doubt this is legal, and therefore can't recommend it, but *cough* *cough*


out of curiosity i searched for 'skyscape' on ebay and found someone selling such a cd. i would hesitate to go this route, due to aforementioned legal doubts, but the premise is the same.



and get a nice fast Palm OS system and you won't have any problems with any programs running slow ;)
 

ussdfiant

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2001
Messages
1,627
Reaction score
26
Does anyone have/used the Netter flash cards for the PDA? As I start my surgery rotation I thought it might be useful to have a reference for relevant anatomy. Second question, does anyone know where I can get it for free? On the Netter site it costs about $50 and I'm only willing to pay that if I have to!
 

tennik

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
I was told a free Netter for PDA is in a Yahoo share room. I know nothin more.
 

AnnaMags

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know of a free program with ICD-9 codes. I hear that Epocrates has this but I like Clinical Pharmacology OnHand better so I'd rather get a freestanding program. Thanks a lot!
 

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
1,191
Reaction score
4
tennik said:
I was told a free Netter for PDA is in a Yahoo share room. I know nothin more.

that one doesn't work...I've netter's in Isilo form...80 megs
 

Heeed!

On target, On time!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Messages
700
Reaction score
0
AnnaMags said:
Does anyone know of a free program with ICD-9 codes. I hear that Epocrates has this but I like Clinical Pharmacology OnHand better so I'd rather get a freestanding program. Thanks a lot!

I just bought G5MCC from Skyscape and they sent me a program w/ the ICD-9 codes for free. :thumbup:
 

csmith1

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
82
Reaction score
2
Any opinions on the full deal Epocrates Essentials? Website says that the Dx portion is resourced from 5MCC. Does that mean that Dx and G5MCC are comparable?
 
Members don't see this ad :)

joshua_msu

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2002
Messages
269
Reaction score
0
Sledge2005 said:
My palm has been incredibley useful to me. It's a great medical resource (especially if you have the skyscape crack). And also a great information organizer; much better then my old dork book I used in college. And then there are the games!


What is this skyscape crack? Someone told me to search ebay for it, but I coulndt find anything.
 

heldicus

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
117
Reaction score
4
Sledge2005 said:
However, there is no skyscape crack available for pocket pc's.

Blatant falsehood. Although I do not recommend the use of cracked software on a PDA...you can corrupt your handheld's registry.
 

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,528
Reaction score
23
heldicus said:
Blatant falsehood.
No actually it's the truth.

heldicus Although I do not recommend the use of cracked software on a PDA...you can corrupt your handheld's registry.[/QUOTE said:
Maybe if you're ******ed and don't use it right. Regardless, it's fairly easy to back up your memory before installing and then hard reset if a problem occurs.
 

tempressDO

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I've been using the Skyscape and Isilo cracked programs for a year now. I can confirm they exist. However, they never seemed to work exactly right. I was using cracked copies of G5MCC and Dorland's. When I'd select a particular condition, many times I would get a completely different word, or nothing at all, etc. I did the ol' hard reset and finally broke down, paid for the real 5MCC, Tabers, etc. and now my tricked-out pocket PC works like a champ! :idea: A friend of mine still uses the cracked programs w/o difficulty, though.
 

heldicus

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
117
Reaction score
4
Sledge2005 said:
No actually it's the truth.

Whatever you say. For everyone else that's interested you may consider alt.binaries.warez.pocketpc

Maybe if you're ******ed and don't use it right. Regardless, it's fairly easy to back up your memory before installing and then hard reset if a problem occurs.

You also think that "Pocket PCs" are different from "PDAs" according to your above post.
 

maqsur

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
just use a keygen for skyscape... no need to crack it. you can download all the trial software you want for free from skyscape (just register and make a free account), and then after loading onto your pda, use the keygen on your pc to generate a serial number, enter this into the palm when you load the program, and voila, it's unlocked. i got the keygen from a friend, but believe me, i'm sure you can find it on any filesharing program.. (i know, it's wrong - i'm probably going to go to hell)
 

TruckGirl

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2005
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
I agree that some of the cracked PDA software doesn't work perfectly. I got the cracked Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine, but it wouldn't allow me to search the index, so I bought the original for around $60 and it's great.

As for the Stedman's dictionary, and a load of other software, the Skyscape Keygen works miracles. I used to know of a site that had all of them available for download either cracked, or requiring the Keygen. But recently they took it all off and are now selling everything on a CD. They had any medical PDA software imaginable. Too bad I didn't download everything before they took it off, but it's still pretty easy to get by a file sharing program.

The doctors at the wards seem to be impressed by the kinds of software available. Their pockets are full of big fat books, and they can't find anything they're looking for. Poor folks are computer illiterate :) At least I get to laugh at them before they start laughing at me when I examine a patient.
 

abomomo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
hi there , how you doing ? i'm a medical student study in czech , i would like to ask you about the skyscape carck ? could you help me to find it ?i'll aprreciate this.... my email is [email protected]. thanks alot .nabi
 

abomomo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
hi there , how you doing ? i'm a medical student study in czech , i would like to ask you about the skyscape carck ? could you help me to find it ?i'll aprreciate this.... my email is [email protected]. thanks alot .nabi
 

tuscani

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
just got myself a palm PDA. have heard how great and free skyscape programmes are. how to get my hands on info to crack skyscape programmes?
please help.

Sledge2005 said:
I agree that pocket pc's are probably better then pda's now. However, there is no skyscape crack available for pocket pc's. So if you're the techy type person that will put the time in to figure out how to follow basic steps in a tutorial for cracking the skyscape programs, pda's are the way to go. Otherwise, have fun using crappy free software or paying 80 bucks for every good program. Meanwhile my pda has A2Zdrugs (blows epocrates away), MedTests, HbDxTests, WU Int serv guide, Wash man 3.1, med recall, surg recall, usmle 1 secrets, usmle 2 secrets, 5 minute clincal consult, 5 min id consult, ferri guide, IM on Call, and steadman's complete med dictionary all for FREE. Plus, everytime you do a rotation you can download the skyscape programs specific to that rotation that you'd never buy otherwise. For example, on my last obgyn rotation I downloaded obgyn recall, JHUObgyn, Pocket Obgyn, and Wash U Obgyn.

As soon as I stop taking out huge loans and get an income next year I'll stop hacking and buy the most useful programs (STEADMANS, a2zdrugs, and 5mcc). Plus I'll probably also buy a couple other programs specific to my specialty. But as students, I don't think it's that morally wrong to not pay for downloaded programs, especially if you're only going to be needing them for 4 weeks during your rotation.
 

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
1,191
Reaction score
4
Times certainly have changed here,..I thought discussing this was illegal :p

Anyone has the latest key gen? That would really rock
 

joshua_msu

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2002
Messages
269
Reaction score
0
Yes it would. I would like one too. Just got a Tungsten T3.
 

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
1,191
Reaction score
4
The key gen that's available now is for skyscape 2003 products..I doubt you need to update the dictionary, maybe the drugs would need some updating
 

maqsur

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
The keygen that is available via filesharing (I found it on emule) is called Frozen Skyscape keygen. It works with both old and new programs (even ones that were just released last month).
 

Joel Fleischman

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
138
Reaction score
1
any oppinion as to epocrates vs. mobile PDR?
 

maqsur

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
i'm using drdrugs (from skyscape).. it seems pretty good.. i also use some other specific drug guides (like pain and psych drug guides)
 

joshua_msu

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2002
Messages
269
Reaction score
0
maqsur said:
The keygen that is available via filesharing (I found it on emule) is called Frozen Skyscape keygen. It works with both old and new programs (even ones that were just released last month).


So I just go to the Skyscape website and get the free trial, then use the keygen right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top