Pda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kungfufishing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My current PDA, a palm tungsten C, is fixin' to die. I dont use it for much other than Pepid and a calculator, as I have all the technological expertise of gravel. Do any of you recommend a small, light PDA that will capably serve the above functions? Perhaps one of those "palm...and a phone!" things might be nice too. Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

My current PDA, a palm tungsten C, is fixin' to die. I dont use it for much other than Pepid and a calculator, as I have all the technological expertise of gravel. Do any of you recommend a small, light PDA that will capably serve the above functions? Perhaps one of those "palm...and a phone!" things might be nice too. Suggestions?

Palm + Phone = Treo 700p (mine is with Verizon Wireless)

I have one, and I love it!

Palm + Phone = Treo 700p (mine is with Verizon Wireless)

I have one, and I love it!

I'm with you. I use a Treo 650 (palm). It's my phone and has a great contact manager that sync's nicely with my Mac's address book and calendar. I also run PEPID on it and use the camera to take pictures of interesting clinical findings (non-identifying with patient permission, of course).

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
I love my treo 700p. This thing is way more reliable than my t5 that was not a phone. I have heard the w crashes more often. I would probably get the newest and greatest treo p.

I'd recommend the TX (I have a need for wifi).

If you want a phone and don't care about wifi then the treo 700 is a good choice.

I'd recommend the TX (I have a need for wifi).

If you want a phone and don't care about wifi then the treo 700 is a good choice.

There is a wifi adapter for the 700p, if you really need it all and are willing to spend the extra 40 bucks. One caveat is that it takes up the memory card slot...

hey have you guys heard anything aqbout the treo 650 or 700? I heard it was great.

Kidding. I think I'll get me one of those. er them.

Thanks!

Yes, there is a Palm version, a Windows mobile version, and even a Blackberry version.

Crossing fingers big-time here...

And hopefully a Mac OSX enabled iPhone version.

Take care,
Jeff

In terms of PalmOS: If all you want is a PDA that will handle basic software, then a Palm Tungsten E or E2 will suffice. Tungsten E2 is basically the same as the Tungsten E, except it has a faster processor and longer battery life; and it has non-volatile memory so that if the battery runs out, you don't lose all of your data. The faster processor is not really a huge advantage, but the battery life and non-volatile memory are substantial improvements over the Tungsten E. Both Tungsten E & E2 are readily available at discounted prices from online or E-Bay retailers. They have a nice form factor and sit around 4oz in weight which is just enough to create a slight bulge in your shirt pocket.

However, I like my Palm Tx, which is basically the same thing as the E2 except that it is slightly bigger and has Wi-Fi -- so I can check my e-mail during downtime. Downside is that it weighs more: 5.2oz, still fits in the shirt pocket but you definitely feel the heft.

If you're not wedded to the PalmOS and are going for the lightest PDA with the nicest form factor, then I would suggest looking around for the Hewlett Packard iPaq h1910, which is at least 5 years old. It is the cutest and lightest (118g) PocketPC device that was ever produced. But you'll probably have a hard time finding one even on E-Bay.

Cheers
-AT.