PDA's/palm pilots/pocket pc's for pharmacy students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amarantine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering whether it is really necessary for pharmacy students to have an electronic device like a pda, palm pilot, or pocket pc while on rotations. Although they're not required, it seems that most, if not all all pharm students own a small electronic device to use as a drug resource.

Is it possible to do learn and do well without the use of such devices?

Any input/advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it was just an expensive toy. Basically, the main way i use it is to access internet when I do NOT bring my laptop along (mainly overseas) and to play games or read on the airplanes. Most of the time, in pharmacy school or on rotation you have access to a real computer with plenty of databases, so it's a better resource than a PDA with whatever you load onto it. The only place where I found it to be useful at all was in retail, but most of the time the questions you are asked there are really basic, and you have no time to fumble around with the PDA anyway.

I plan on getting an iPAQ, from what I have seen they are excellent for getting information ASAP, which is usually how you need to get it on rotations. Of course you could do well without one, but hey, who doesn't like fancy electronics to play around with? :D