Peace Corp and Osteopathic Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikdez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Right now I am debating on whether or not I should go overseas for peace corp before entering med school or do something like the doctors with out borders program. Also does anyone know of the Osteopathic medical schools that would defer enrollment for Peace Corp?

Any advice or information would be useful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

mikdez said:
Hey everyone,

Also does anyone know of the Osteopathic medical schools that would defer enrollment for Peace Corp?

Thanks

I have no idea the answer to your question about schools and deferment. I can tell you this, I was on the fence on about going into the Peace Corps or starting medical school this time a year or so. In the end I choose medical school, and I am happy with my decision. But, there is a part of me that really wishes I had done the Peace Corps. From where I sit now, I see that I will never be in the Peace Corps. With school, then residency, my debt load, a family, its just not going to happen. Doctors without Boarders or DO CARE are, but that’s not the same. I say if you really want to have the experience of the Peace Corps in your life, go out and do it. Medical school will be here when you get back. Best of luck with the decision.

E-

Each school has its own policies on deferrals and most of them deal with deferral requests on a case-by-case basis. You'll just need to check with the schools in question.

I don't know where you are in the application process, but if you're getting ready to apply, I recommend that you decide what you'd prefer to do before you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
mikdez said:
Also does anyone know of the Osteopathic medical schools that would defer enrollment for Peace Corp?

Thanks

I was in the Peace Corps (Jamaica 1998-2000) and I do know of one volunteer whose med school let him defer for two years. That would be a good question to ask your interviewers or to contact the schools you've been accepted at about. I definitely got a lot and learned a lot from the experience, and there may not be another convenient time when you can take off two years and do that without leaving behind lots of obligations.

I think if you got a good argument, it could be a good case for you to get the deferment. But if all else fails, FYI, there have been volunteers who only serve one year (instead of the whole 2 year term) and for whatever reason left after that.

Good-luck! I think I'll be a better doctor for the experience, especially if you want to do international work later. Another alternative, you can always do it later in life, when you'll have more skills to offer as a doctor.

forgive me if i'm wrong, but aren't the peace corps placements usually more administrative anyway? is that what you're looking for? i thought long and hard about it years ago and opted not to join for that very reason. i was told that actual "hands-on" time could be pretty limited. so, i ended up doing something else instead which was fantastic. (btw, this is a serious question, not peace corps bashing.)

anyway, i agree with the poster above. although i think the biggest point against you would be deferring for 2 years as opposed to the usual 1.

have you thought about doing something a little more short term? there are lots of international opportunites out there if you look. for example, there's more than one organization that allow pre-meds to basically do international "rotations" with their overseas institutions.

good luck, you're a good person for wanting to help out. hope it works out.

-drgiggles