Peace Corps before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queequegq

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the wrong forum, hopefully this is the right one.

Basically, I've had a deep desire for a long time to live and work for some time in another country to gain a greater perspective on the world, knowledge of diverse cultures, greater proficiency in another language, and as a personal trial. Specifically I would love to teach in another country.

My biggest hesitation is because I'm wondering what the 3 years I take off for peace corps would affect me when I apply to medical school. Would I be severely disadvantaged taking medical school classes after being away from related subjects for 3 years? Would I be starting "late" as in being 3-4 years older than other students coming straight from undergrad? How would that affect relationships, friendships, etc?

Also if you've done peace corps or know a former volunteer, I would be interested to hear on what was gained most on it and how it affected your growth as a person.

Also do medical schools defer acceptances for programs such as peace corps?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321468/data/factstable6.pdf
The average age of med school matriculants is 25. Going straight from undergrad to med school is not the norm. You would not be disadvantaged by taking 3 years for the Peace Corps. Many of your fellow students will have taken much more time.
Just be sure that you apply with a valid MCAT score, as they do expire.

I had the same concerns as you coming from Teach for America to medical school after not having taken/looked at/thought about a single science class for 2 years (I taught 3rd grade English & Social Studies). Coming back to the classroom as a student was very easy. I didn't have any issues getting back into the routine of studying and retaining information. There was definitely an adjustment, but I certainly wasn't behind anyone who came straight from undergrad. In fact, many of the skills I learned teaching have helped me be successful so far during my M1 year. So I wouldn't worry about the aspect of being able getting back into rhythm of being a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also do medical schools defer acceptances for programs such as peace corps?
I'm not clear on your exact projected timing for application, but I have never heard of an allopathic med school giving a two-year deferral. Of those that give them for one year, some are very liberal and don't care about your reason, some will give one with a good excuse, which I judge Peace Corps involvement to be, and others won't grant them for any reason.

I'm not clear on your exact projected timing for application, but I have never heard of an allopathic med school giving a two-year deferral. Of those that give them for one year, some are very liberal and don't care about your reason, some will give one with a good excuse, which I judge Peace Corps involvement to be, and others won't grant them for any reason.

Actually I believe Tulane does this, called the Tulane Time Out Program. Not sure if any others do. I did Peace Corps and am currently applying to med school. I'd say it's definitely worth doing and overall a great experience. The thing that I found to be the worst part was studying for the MCAT post-PC. I felt like my brain had gone to mush and it was frustrating having to relearn the easy stuff like basic math skills that I just hadn't used for the past couple years. If you can avoid that, then I don't see a reason not to go for it.

There are shorter (and arguably better) options than Peace Corps to accomplish what you want to do. It's about finding the right fit for your goals.

It sounds like you are still trying to understand what PC is all about... definitely speak with former volunteers (as you said) but also learn more about other programs that appeal to you.

There are shorter (and arguably better) options than Peace Corps to accomplish what you want to do. It's about finding the right fit for your goals.

It sounds like you are still trying to understand what PC is all about... definitely speak with former volunteers (as you said) but also learn more about other programs that appeal to you.

Do you have some particular alternatives in mind? It can be hard to find options shorter than Peace Corps that you don't have to pay for yourself. I agree it's about finding the right fit for your goals. The OP mentioned an interest in teaching - I do believe there are some other paid options that you could do for one year instead of two, particularly in Asia. Those are usually English teaching positions, and don't come with local language training. Lots of PCVs teach English, but many others teach science and math, which might be more interesting for a pre-med. If you do PC, you could also wind up in public health, which is also interesting and relevant, depending on your interests. There's often a fair amount of overlap no matter what your official PC assignment is, since you usually have a lot of free time and it can be what you make of it.

I do know lots of people who are working Peace Corps-like jobs in Africa or elsewhere without having ever done PC - those probably do provide better working experience, but they often require a masters in public health. Anyway, feel free to hit me up with any questions, either here or PM.