Peak Interview Season

Discussion in 'Otolaryngology' started by Hoju, Apr 23, 2012.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Hoju

Hoju I don't want Fop. 5+ Year Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Hi buds,

I am planning my 4th year schedule and am planning to take 2 months off during peak interview season for ENT. As of now, I can either take off November and December or December and January. Do any of you friendly chaps have advice on which would be better, or if it even matters? I appreciate any info you may supply. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. HEENTdude

HEENTdude 2+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2011
    December and January IMO are better months to have off.

If possible, maybe try doing an easier month in November, such as a research month with an understanding PI or something BS like "Teaching 2nd year med students clinical skills" or a dissection course to get time off.

Good Luck!

4. ZagDoc

ZagDoc Ears, Noses, and Throats 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Dec/Jan is the heavy two months for ENT. A handful of programs have their first interview date in late November, but the rest are Dec/Jan (and it's pretty evenly 50-50 between the two months).

5. Hoju

Hoju I don't want Fop. 5+ Year Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Great! Thanks for the advice.

6. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending 10+ Year Member

Feb 10, 2002
    USA
    I took no time off.

I did my interviews during a radiology rotation and an anatomy dissection rotation. I think I went to the lab 2-3x over the four weeks and then bought a Dremel drill and drilled out the mastoid and temporal bone. Got an A in both courses. Went on 13 interviews.

Rather, take your time off and go to Europe or Asia.

7. OtoHNS

OtoHNS ENT Attending 5+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Agreed!

8. plauto

plauto 7+ Year Member

Sep 16, 2007
    x3

9. Leforte

Leforte Member SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Physician
    PhD
    Faculty
    Agreed x4.

And no matter what you are thinking F&%^ going to Africa - the armpit of the world.