SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Peculiar waitlist situation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by johne, Feb 27, 2002.

1. johne

johne Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and wanted to share my experience. I had six early interviews and have received six waitlist positions. No school has rejected me and I have been sending my follow-up letters. All the schools that have waitlisted me draw strongly from the waitlist and to boot I am above average in BOTH MCAT and GPA for ALL the schools.
    I don't believe this situation, however, I am staying very confident in the one thing that usually holds up-"Statistics." If these are number schools and half of their students are below these averages then I should get in at some point to at least one.

Please share your thoughts,

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. PMPMD

PMPMD 4G MD Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Besides MCAT and GPA, interview and extracurriculars are also heavily weighed. Most schools use the MCAT and GPA information to decide who gets interviews, then decide who gets acceptances based on non-numerical qualifications (personality, dedication, motivation, etc.) The fact that you got 6 interviews means you probably do have a good chance of getting one or more acceptances. If you did above average in the interview (if you can quantify such a thing), and have lots of ECs, then I think you're fine.
  4. johnM

johnM Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Many schools will tell you where you stand on the waitlist (or at least approximately) if you just ask them. I suggest that you call the schools to see what they can tell you.

Unfortunately, waitlists will probably not move very much until mid-May, but if they tell you that you are in the upper-third of the list, then you have reason to be pretty hopeful of an eventual acceptance. Good luck to you, and good name!