Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

pediatric dentistry

Discussion in 'Dental' started by mikedoc, Jul 23, 2006.

1. mikedoc

mikedoc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

How hard is it to get into pediatric dentistry?

What kind of board score and class rank do you need?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Probably around 85+ on boards and top 15% rank. Pedo tends to have slightly lower academic requirements than other specialties, they tend to focus more on personality and fit.

4. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pedo is the hot specialty right now. There are a ton of applicants this year. At UCLA we have more applicants to pedo (it beat out ortho!) than any other specialty this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the academic competition gets a lot tougher.

5. MD2b20004

MD2b20004 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Not too tough, your scores should get you into a program, heck similar scores got my best friend in her top choice U of M, not to mention she was execpted to 6 out of the 8 residency programs she applied to.

6. dexadental

dexadental 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    After volunteering in pediatric dentistry clinic at UF I don't think I have the nerve to listen and deal with screaming children, granted it is kind of fun seeing them in there. Saw a couple cleft lip surgeries being performed and check ups afterwards, it is amazing what can be done. I admire those who can work in this field, it really does take a certain personality to do well in it.

7. CorneliusFudge

5+ Year Member

Specialties seem to go in cycles.

Just a few years ago pedo was one of the "easy" specialties to get into - almost like perio and prosth. But right now it is hot. There are also more pedo applicants at my school than applicants to any other specialty.

Part of it is money. Part of it is lack of significant exposure to screaming, tears and vomit in the predoctoral curriculum.

8. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    While it's certainly doable with an 85 things are certainly more competitive than in the past. To be competitive at this point it really takes 90+. Of course there are always exceptions with regards to extracurriculars, etc. I know at our program our board avg is prob. in the low to mid 90s.

Getting the interview is the key. The rest is all about personality. That's the great part...it can't be bs'd. I don't care if someone comes in w/ 99 boards and top in the class, if they are annoying and the residents don't like them then they won't get in, period. And the ones who try to fake it and be what they think we want them to be, we can see right through it.

My advice to all those who will be going through the interview process is to be yourself. It may not be the easiest advice, but it's what we as residents want to see. You'll be surprised, residents have a lot of pull at many programs. All it takes is rubbing one or two people the wrong way and it will be it for you. I'm not saying it to intimidate, moreso to bring it to your attention.