Pediatric Neurology Compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boliver7

Reaction score
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the salary scale for child neurologists? More specifically, what is the breakdown between hospitalists and private practice? I know many PP's are out of network, is not manageable to be an in-network Peds Neurologist? I love love love this specialty and just want to know what I'm getting into before I decide, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if wrong but I believe 2018 MGMA data $275k and 245K on coasts, but that is averaged with the severely low academic salaries.

According to MGMA 2020, total compensation for Peds Neuro mean is 275k with 90th percentile reaching 360K
Adjustments.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_0195.png

Its odd that Stroke Neuro makes that much as compared to epilepsy(EEG).

Reactions: 6 users
Is the 270 median only private practice? I’ve heard that for academics it is more like 200k. Also would pediatric epileptologist make the same median as adult epileptologist?

Probably includes both academics and PP, skewed towards PP as the majority of neurologists are private. I've heard a lot of figures from different people but the general rule seems to be academics = 80K-100K less than you'd make doing roughly the same job, in the same city, in private practice.

My understanding is that peds neuro has the same relation to adult neuro as pediatrics has to internal medicine: every sub-specialty pays way less.

When I did my job search the salary range was pretty wide, from 150-200k for academic positions to 250-350k for hybrid/non-profit or private health group positions for people just out of training. I've met people who also do locum tenens making 200-300k while working <50% of the year (works best if you get benefits from your spouse's job). Private group, eat what you kill models, I know people who make >400k.

You can make money if that's what's important to you. There are plenty of jobs and plenty of well-paying jobs but like most things, really good jobs (good pay with good work-life balance, good people/colleagues, supportive management) can still be hard to find. There's a lot of turnover in many places and pediatric neurology groups collapse all the time. There's still a critical shortage of child neurologists, which is great when you are looking for a job but when you are looking for help or recruiting new partners it can be painful. Some positions can stay open for years.

The last workforce analysis I saw several years back estimated that child neurologists were still retiring or dying faster than we can make them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew if a cash only model was prevalent in pets neuro? I know of a few in suburban NJ that do this but would like more insight into how this affects compensation/practice model, thanks!

Thanks for the info everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew if a cash only model was prevalent in pets neuro? I know of a few in suburban NJ that do this but would like more insight into how this affects compensation/practice model, thanks!
In pets neurology? I'm sure it's very prevalent

In child neurology, I doubt it is. This is not like child psych where most of what you see is custody dispute related cases. In neuro, you will be dealing with some of the most devastating conditions. Many of the tests, and even therapies, are too costly for a cash-based practice.

The fact you are started out asking about compensation and now about cash-only model makes me question your interest in the field. Nothing wrong to want to be well compensated, but this should never come at the cost of depriving children with neurological conditions (and their families) from finding the care they need. There's a severe shortage as is.

I apologize for the uncalled-for tone, but I just came off a child neuro rotation and I'm still scarred by the things I've witnessed.

Reactions: 1 user
In pets neurology? I'm sure it's very prevalent

In child neurology, I doubt it is. This is not like child psych where most of what you see is custody dispute related cases. In neuro, you will be dealing with some of the most devastating conditions. Many of the tests, and even therapies, are too costly for a cash-based practice.

The fact you are started out asking about compensation and now about cash-only model makes me question your interest in the field. Nothing wrong to want to be well compensated, but this should never come at the cost of depriving children with neurological conditions (and their families) from finding the care they need. There's a severe shortage as is.

I apologize for the uncalled-for tone, but I just came off a child neuro rotation and I'm still scarred by the things I've witnessed.
I am not interested in this model but have seen multiple neurologists adopt this model in my area. Never in my original post did I say I was, I was merely asking a question to experienced professionals if this model is prevalent. Thank you.

During my audition, several residents have told me that attendings and advisors have told them to not accept jobs (outside intense academia) for <300k base salary or 'you're hurting your colleagues'. This is in the midwest and N=1 but I'll take that any day of the week.

Reactions: 1 users
I remember seeing in NEJM career center a job in NY offering 800k + salary as partner, obviously from ancillary revenue. How common are jobs like this in neurology? Seemed too good to be true.

I remember seeing in NEJM career center a job in NY offering 800k + salary as partner, obviously from ancillary revenue. How common are jobs like this in neurology? Seemed too good to be true.
The only people I've heard of making money in this range were really pushing the limits of what you could get away with before being caught for Medicare fraud/insurance fraud/Stark law. Stuff like owning your own infusion center and thus only treating your MS patients with infusions, and supplementing them with weekly "proprietary" infusions for cash. Monthly MRIs on practice-owned scanners. Really shady stuff.

Last edited:

Any “neurologist” that pulls in that kind of money is shady as hell