pediatric neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pippergal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year and I am really interested in the field of pediatric neurology. One of my residents told me that in the last couple of years, match programs have started that are specific for peds neuro. I think he said the combined programs are five years total. Does anyone possibly know which hospitals have these programs and any other info? Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

pippergal said:
I am a third year and I am really interested in the field of pediatric neurology. One of my residents told me that in the last couple of years, match programs have started that are specific for peds neuro. I think he said the combined programs are five years total. Does anyone possibly know which hospitals have these programs and any other info? Thanks much!

Go to http://www.sfmatch.org/

You apply to pediatrics residency and Child neurology fellowships as a 4th year medicine. Most programs require 2 years of peds training before you start your peds neuro training.

Peds neuro programs are 2 years of peds followed by 3 years of peds and adult neuro. After 5 years you can sit for the peds boards as well as the 'neuro boards with special qualification in peds neuro'. (Given that you have the 'general' neuro boards, you can get credentialed to do adult neuro. Only few pediatric neurologists see significant numbers of general pedi patients.)

If you are trying to ascertain the workforce situation in peds neuro, there is a white paper on the child neurology society webpage that might be of interest to you.

http://www.childneurologysociety.org/files/publications/Workforce Study.pdf

Try to go to a childrens hospital for your peds neuro training and not to a pedi division within an adult neuro department.
As a US graduate you have pretty much a choice regarding the programs you want to go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also a third year most likely going into peds neuro. From what I've learned you have to match into both a peds program and a child neuro program. Some places have combo programs where you get a spot in both automatically, but most arent. Anyone that went through this years match have any more info, that would be helpful, thanks

Thanks for all your helpful input! I am starting to get pumped. I finally know what I want to be when I grow up!

Be sure to do an elective in peds-neuro so you REALLY know what you want to do when you grow up. The daily life of a peds neurologist might be a bit different from what you imagine.

Any word on what programs are towards the top of this field?