Pediatric Nurse Practioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsg98

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for the PNP's. I am considering pursuing my PNP sometime in the near future. My true love is neonatal, but I don't want to be an NNP. I would LOVE to work in a preemie follow up clinic. Do these opportunities exist for PNP's? I do know of one preemie follow up clinic in my area and I live in a very large metropolitan area so of course my fear would be finding a job as a PNP in this particular specialty

Comments? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a pediatric nurse practitioner. Yes, as a PNP you would be qualified to practice in a premie follow up clinic. I know two PNPs that do just that. That is what is great about being a PNP. There are so many practice opportunities from newborn to adolescent/young adult.
You may sent me a pesonal message if you have any other questions.

If you don't mind me asking, PNP2MD, why have you decided to become an MD instead of a PNP. Right now, I am trying to figure out whether I should become a PNP or an Pediatrician, so any words of wisdom or advice are greatly appreciated!

That is a question that I have spent many hours pondering. I was a PICU RN for 7 years before before becoming a PNP. I have been a PNP for 9 years. I work in primary care pediatrics. I love my position and being a PNP. I have my own patients and I am a primary care provider. I am very fortunate. I teach medical students, pediatric residents and PNPstudents.
Yet, I have a need to know more and do more. I feel I have alot more to offer. Don't get me wrong I am very glad I was a RN and a PNP first. Contrary to what you often read I have a lot of autonomy. I function independently. My pediatrician and pnp colleagues are top notch.
I am very interested in child advocacy.
Who knows if it is the "right ' decision or not, but at this point i feel that i must follow my heart. I do not want to have any regrets.
Best of Luck to you in your decision!