Quantcast

pediatric programs ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mona q

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
hey! have been searching for a site that would have a list of the best peds residency programs...only found top childrens hospitals but that's not the same!!!! any ideas??

jackjinju

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well....I posted this a few months ago....it just refers to Northeast Programs that I know of....

Well, as someone who has matched in a "2nd tier program" in the Northeast, here's my take.

I guess first tier, meaning prestige and/ or competitiveness, would include (and don't shoot me if I miss programs or screw up the tier, it's just one guy's opinion)...

Kinda IA =

Hopkins
CHOP
Columbia
Cornell
Boston Children's
Yale
Pittsburgh Children's
DC Children's

Kinda IB =

NYU
Mt. Sinai
Einstein/Montefiore

Kinda Tier IIA

St. Christopher's
Jefferson/DuPont
U. Maryland
UMDNJ/Robert Wood Johnson-New Brunswick
Long Island Jewish/Schneider's
Tufts
U. Connecticut

Kinda Tier IIB

Einstein-Jacobi
New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate
Penn State
Stony Brook

The smaller/less known ones are very good, too. Just not particualrly competitive for US grads aka you want them, you got them. Those types of programs that I've heard good things about (or interviewed at and liked)include....

Crozer-Chester Medical Center
Winthrop University Hospital
Maimonides
New York Methodist
Atlantic Health Systems/Morristown
Monmouth Medical Center

Does that sound reasonable? Mind you this is a VERY rough and arbitrary list.

a guy at a so-called "IIA program"

mona q

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks!! exactly what i was looking for... will check them out and see.
another list i'm looking for is pediatric programs that are img friendly ...havent given up yet ,though!

jackjinju

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

Basically, most any "community program" is IMG friendly. One that is not as friendly that I can think of is INOVA Fairfax, as it is probably the #2 DC area program, since Georgetown is on probation.

Some pretty good programs I know of that take a number of IMGs include (* means what I saw, or heard as being "better" ones):

Maimonides*
NY Methodist
Atlantic Health (Morristown)*
Albert Einstein Medical Center
Cooper (UMDNJ-Camden)
Winthrop
SUNY Downstate
NY Medical College (building their own children's hospital)*
Monmouth
Newark BI
UMDNJ-Newark
St. Joseph's Hospital/Med Center (NJ)
Nassau U. Med Center
LICH

In addition, I think amongst community programs, Crozer-Chester, Baystate, Geisenger, and Maine Medical Center are very good, but a bit harder for IMGs to get into. Kinda like Fairfax. Really, any of the smaller NY/NJ area programs are your best bet in the Northeast I think.

Hope this helps. I am a US grad, but I interviewed at a variety of programs. Also, I know little about programs outside the NE, except the "elite ones", which is not what you want anyway

tls

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
you forgot about cincinnati children's which is actually top ten always.

jackjinju

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

No, I didn't forget about them. They're a great program, but they're not in the Northeast, which is what I limited my list to. I'm trying not to talk about regions of the country that I know little about.

bruinboy2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us who aren't in the loop.......what is CHOP?

Thanks!

nsg98

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

seetay212

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I had posted a message looking for IMG friendly hospitals and fortunately I got the answer in your message! What do you do if you have a low score in your step 1...are there any specific hospitals which don't mind a low score? Thanks.

Seetay.

irlandesa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jack, where would you rank Brown and U Mass for peds? I've heard good things about Brown and hardly anything about U Mass. How about MGH (stand alone, not Med-Peds)? Also, for anyone interested in Med-Peds, Baystate in Springfield is rumored to have one of the better programs in New England, with the exceptions of Harvard Combined Program and Yale-New Haven.

jackjinju

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've heard Brown (Hasboro) is quite good. I like neonatology, and I know their program is very strong. U Mass I haven't heard anything one way or the other. It's a University program, so I assume it's solid. Yale and Brown I think are similar, though Yale's name is bigger (thought not so much in pediatrics).

Also, MGH has a big name, but despite it's high US News Ranking, I hear that it's not THAT great. It's basically peds units inside a hospital, not a children's hospital, and is overshadowed by the Boston Children's program. Tufts is solid too if you're looking at Beantown. Dartmouth is good, too, so I've heard.

anyway, impressing people aside, I think Brown is probably a better all around place than MGH or Yale....but that's just from second-hand opinions.

Just my 2 cents

edmadison

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does this list still hold true

Congratulations on recycling a 5 year-old thread. I wonder if that's a record? :laugh:

But seriously, the underlying question is a difficult one. What exactly does "best" mean. Many people are obsessed with rankings. US News' lists are a huge factor in the decision making process. Personally, I think this is BS, because many of the criteria are arbitrary.

The question is what is the best program for YOU! What's important: Research? Getting into fellowship? Having a cool name on your fellowship certificate? It's all relative. Programs with the top reputations are the academic centers. These programs have high volume, high acuity inpatient services and do a minuscule amount of outpatient medicine. If you want to be a general pediatrician is this the right environment for you?

Keep that in mind when making your selections. Also, don't forget about lifestyle factors and how happy the residents are. Things can be deceiving, however. A West coast program with a reputation for being touchy-feely has an amazing sink-or-swim culture to it.

Good luck,

Ed

twilburys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A West coast program with a reputation for being touchy-feely has an amazing sink-or-swim culture to it.

Which West coast program is that? If you don't want to post, could you please PM me?