CavsFan2016

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I'm an M1 and interested in both pediatrics and orthopaedic surgery. If I was given the opportunity to start pediatric research early on, should I do it? Or should I wait until an ortho research opportunity comes along? I understand that ortho's more competitive and it would be better to do research in that field but does it really matter this early on?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I'm an M1 and interested in both pediatrics and orthopaedic surgery. If I was given the opportunity to start pediatric research early on, should I do it? Or should I wait until an ortho research opportunity comes along? I understand that ortho's more competitive and it would be better to do research in that field but does it really matter this early on?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
What about something that covers both like pediatric fractures?

About the Ads

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
If I was given the opportunity to start pediatric research early on, should I do it? Or should I wait until an ortho research opportunity comes along?
Why not just do both? 1. Do the peds research 2. jump on ortho research when it comes along 3. Get pubs in two fields that you are interested in. 4. Profit.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Get in research early. If Ortho research comes along after you've started a project and you still have time to work on it, do it.

LyMed

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Agree with the posters above - ideally, just do a combination of both. It's great that you're forward thinking, but first explore the opportunities available to you. Research is very hit-or-miss. You may have a ton of peds research available and none of ortho, or vice versa. Get out there and see first.

Best wishes

About the Ads