Pediatrics or Orthopaedic Surgery Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CavsFan2016

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm an M1 and interested in both pediatrics and orthopaedic surgery. If I was given the opportunity to start pediatric research early on, should I do it? Or should I wait until an ortho research opportunity comes along? I understand that ortho's more competitive and it would be better to do research in that field but does it really matter this early on?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
 
So I'm an M1 and interested in both pediatrics and orthopaedic surgery. If I was given the opportunity to start pediatric research early on, should I do it? Or should I wait until an ortho research opportunity comes along? I understand that ortho's more competitive and it would be better to do research in that field but does it really matter this early on?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
What about something that covers both like pediatric fractures?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I was given the opportunity to start pediatric research early on, should I do it? Or should I wait until an ortho research opportunity comes along?

Why not just do both? 1. Do the peds research 2. jump on ortho research when it comes along 3. Get pubs in two fields that you are interested in. 4. Profit.
 
Agree with the posters above - ideally, just do a combination of both. It's great that you're forward thinking, but first explore the opportunities available to you. Research is very hit-or-miss. You may have a ton of peds research available and none of ortho, or vice versa. Get out there and see first.

Best wishes