Pedo Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionPedo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure how active current and future pedo residents are on this thread, but i'd like to see what people's thoughts are on externships and visiting other programs. What month is best to visit programs? I hear people start in the spring and summer, but would it be more strategic to do it post July 1st, once the new residents have had a few weeks to get adjusted to their new environment? But then again, this may get too close to application time, where you wouldn't be able to talk about your experience in your essays and application. What are your thoughts?

Best,
MissionPedo

Members don't see this ad.

My thought is do it in the Spring if possible. I believe the earlier the better. The month of July is pretty chaotic because of the start of new resident's. Plus, I like the idea of being able to discuss your experience in the application process. The externship will hopefully help you get an interview. Once in the door, you will be able meet the first year resident's who will have had some time to get used to the program.