PEDO Ortho Double specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATkiller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I will be applying to pedo this cycle after working for 1 year. However, I have met some pedo/ortho people who are doing really well. Has any of you done both? Do you you know how these people are doing? Is it worth an extra 2-3 years to do ortho? What are your thoughts on it?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can do that, and are willing to be patient, you will be unstoppable. Even if you are doing pedo, you will do well.

I'm a 4th year, I like both and although I dont know if it makes sense financially to do both, I have an interest in both and wish there were combined pedo/ortho programs (4 year). Maybe I"ll just start a pedo/ortho program in the future and charge 100k/year for 4 years to grad students--probably the most lucrative career option out there! (Joking...but unfortunately it seems like a lot of programs are thinking this way these days)

Members don't see this ad :)
Specialize in both, if you think you have the right business skills to attract enough pedo patients, who will later become your ortho patients. If you still need referrals from GPs (my ortho practice does), then I don’t think it’s a good idea to do both pedo and ortho. No GP would refer ortho cases to you if they know you also do fillings, cleanings, and extractions at your office.

Another problem is most pedo patients are very young (6-7 yo). They won't have all permanent teeth until they are 12 yo. Therefore, it will be a while before you can start ortho treatments on them.....unless you are an aggressive type of orthodontist, who likes to put braces on every 7-8 yo kid.

If you do it, you will start off as a pedo practice that grows into an ortho practice. 5 years in you'll probably have to hire a pedo associate to help so that you can focus more on ortho.