Pedo-Prior Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentmia24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently working in a community health center, seeing about 60% children. I have been out of dental school a little over a year. I worked for a non-profit organization with foster children for about 6 months doing only pedo (as a general dentist). I recently got a job opportunity to work for one of those all pedo chains (where general dentists do only pedo) such as Small Smiles PC, Kool Smiles PC, etc. I am applying for Pedo Residency and was wondering if I should work for this chain (which seems to be like a mill) or stay at the community health center? Does anyone have any opinions regarding this choice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dentmia24 said:
Hi, I am currently working in a community health center, seeing about 60% children. I have been out of dental school a little over a year. I worked for a non-profit organization with foster children for about 6 months doing only pedo (as a general dentist). I recently got a job opportunity to work for one of those all pedo chains (where general dentists do only pedo) such as Small Smiles PC, Kool Smiles PC, etc. I am applying for Pedo Residency and was wondering if I should work for this chain (which seems to be like a mill) or stay at the community health center? Does anyone have any opinions regarding this choice? Thanks!

I don't really know a ton about pedo but I do know that our pedo program director won't even look at an applicant if he sees Small Smiles on the CV. He says it's just too much hassle to retrain them. I'm sure not all programs feel the same way, so take it for what it's worth.

CorneliusFudge said:
I don't really know a ton about pedo but I do know that our pedo program director won't even look at an applicant if he sees Small Smiles on the CV. He says it's just too much hassle to retrain them. I'm sure not all programs feel the same way, so take it for what it's worth.

I agree 100% DO NOT work at the pedo mill! We as a specialty look down on these types of practices and their practice ideas. The community health clinic on the other hand looks very good on your resume and will help you to get interviews. The other place can only hurt you. Stay away!
Jedi's wife

Members don't see this ad :)
Jediwendell said:
I agree 100% DO NOT work at the pedo mill! We as a specialty look down on these types of practices and their practice ideas. The community health clinic on the other hand looks very good on your resume and will help you to get interviews. The other place can only hurt you. Stay away!
Jedi's wife

So the residency programs won't see working at these clinics as demonstrating one's dedication towards pedo and/or as a way of setting one apart in terms of pedo experience in the application process? Thanks again for your advice and help! :oops:

dentmia24 said:
So the residency programs won't see working at these clinics as demonstrating one's dedication towards pedo and/or as a way of setting one apart in terms of pedo experience in the application process? Thanks again for your advice and help! :oops:
I really think you would only be hurting yourself. Even though it sounds like a good idea, you are still talking about working for a group that our specialty is against. It would be like working for OEC trying to get in to ortho. I think it's a bad idea. But do what your heart tells you. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint of a pediatric dentist! Honestly dedication to children is working at a community health center, not working at a "we're too lazy to specialize and we think we know what we're doing 'cause we took a weekend course and that's just as good!" clinic. Just my 2 cents!
Jedi's wife

Jediwendell said:
Honestly dedication to children is working at a community health center, not working at a "we're too lazy to specialize and we think we know what we're doing 'cause we took a weekend course and that's just as good!" clinic. Just my 2 cents!
Jedi's wife

I thought it was more like working at a "we papoose and crown anything that remotely looks like a tooth and do it all in under 3 minutes per" kinda place :oops:

!

Last edited:
Is this true and where are you? I would have thought programs would be happy to have someone they know likes to work with children in need. Does this director think that people working at clinics such as these don't desire to become better dentists? I am just curious as to why they wouldn't want to produce real pediatric dentists out of these applicants.

Because it's easier to train someone who hasn't developed their habits yet than break someone of bad habits and retrain them. Those crown mills papoose and crown just about every tooth in the mouth. Several in the state I went to school for are under federal investigation. One was closed down. Screwing medicaid = angry govt officials.

Reactions: 1 user
unless all of you plan on working on more than one quadrant per hour on a medicaid patient that drove three hours to get to your office, I suggest you back off. At the pace of "your" dentistry, most of my patients teeth would have already fallen out. Crowns are necessary, all over. Grills are in. Do you really expect to composite D,E,F,G with multiple surface decay on a 1 1/2 year old child. Crown those babies, and do it in five minutes. But I can do it in two..

I think you are missing the entire point of our posts. I do TONS of SSCs every day, and think people who do class II composits and anterior composits on hi risk kids are idiots. But, I also don't think that clinics that have the "papoose and go" mentality are doing children any good. All it is doing is making the dentist money.
Jedi's wife

!

Last edited:
!

Last edited:
Look, no one is saying there aren't good dentists at these locations. All we are trying to do is help a person who wants to get in to pedo have a better CV. And working for a community health clinic is a lot better. This is purely from experience, from going through the application process, hearing program directors talk and knowing how the pediatric community in our areas feel about certain types of practices. Of course it's all generalizations. But, there is a reason certain places get the reputation they do. It's unfortunate that there are doctors out there ruining it for everyone else. It's just how it is. That being said, do whatever makes you happy.

!

Last edited: