Best GPR/AEGD Programs for OS Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

85-29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a D4 preparing my applications for GPRs. I am very interested in gaining experience in oral surgery and implant placement. I'm willing to move just about anywhere in the country for a year. Looking for suggestions for programs worth applying to. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm a D4 preparing my applications for GPRs. I am very interested in gaining experience in oral surgery and implant placement. I'm willing to move just about anywhere in the country for a year. Looking for suggestions for programs worth applying to. Thanks!
An OMFS internship.

Reactions: 4 users
I did my training at Kings County.

You take trauma call shoulder to shoulder with OMFS residents, so you suture up plenty of faces and wire lots of jaws. You go to the OR with them. You spend the night at the hospital every few days and take any maxillofacial trauma call. You take lots of teeth out, the OMFS attendings and chiefs teach you lots of surgical procedures. I cut out a symphysis block graft with the chief, did a sinus lift and plenty of implant surgeries. Countless extractions.

Lots of surgical exposure. But be ready to wake up at 3am to go into the hospital to fix a machete lac and suture up someone's face that was torn apart by a pitbull. It makes you really appreciate the amount of dedication it takes to get through OMFS residency.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
An OMFS internship.
I dont know about this....
OMS internships are filled with scut work; and then there's all the other non-dentoalveolar stuff that it sounds like you dont care for: trauma, cancer, pathology, etc.

I think doing private practice with some good mentors and quality CE is probably the best way to learn the dentoalveolar stuff (wizzies, implants) that GPs see OS do. I'm always amazed at the GPs doing full arch implants.

This is what I tell the GP residents that I meet and are interested in OMS:
Figure out if you want to do an OMS program, or if you are just interested in doing dentoalveolar surgery as a GP, because I think the routes are very different.
If you want to get into an OMS program, then do an OMS internship at a program that allows you to study for the CBSE, and one that takes their own interns, not one that you think is going to teach you how to do surgery. This will give you the best shot in my opinion. While there, dont focus on getting good at your hand skills, but instead being responsible, hard-working, communicating well, and amicable (not annoying). That is hard enough when people are burying you with scut work, and you are on Q3 call. No program director is going to be impressed with an intern's surgical skills, and be like "wow, we need this guy/gal so he can show us how to take out teeth like s/he does".

Reactions: 5 users
I did my training at Kings County.

You take trauma call shoulder to shoulder with OMFS residents, so you suture up plenty of faces and wire lots of jaws. You go to the OR with them. You spend the night at the hospital every few days and take any maxillofacial trauma call. You take lots of teeth out, the OMFS attendings and chiefs teach you lots of surgical procedures. I cut out a symphysis block graft with the chief, did a sinus lift and plenty of implant surgeries. Countless extractions.

Lots of surgical exposure. But be ready to wake up at 3am to go into the hospital to fix a machete lac and suture up someone's face that was torn apart by a pitbull. It makes you really appreciate the amount of dedication it takes to get through OMFS residency.

Imagine if a GP woke up at 3AM to watch CE and read books on just implants and extractions. With a mentor or two, this could take someone very far.

What ncide is talking about sounds like a good exposure for someone who wants to do full-scope OMS. Rarely do OMS even do full-scope OMS after they graduate. The sad reality.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont know about this....
OMS internships are filled with scut work; and then there's all the other non-dentoalveolar stuff that it sounds like you dont care for: trauma, cancer, pathology, etc.

I think doing private practice with some good mentors and quality CE is probably the best way to learn the dentoalveolar stuff (wizzies, implants) that GPs see OS do. I'm always amazed at the GPs doing full arch implants.

This is what I tell the GP residents that I meet and are interested in OMS:
Figure out if you want to do an OMS program, or if you are just interested in doing dentoalveolar surgery as a GP, because I think the routes are very different.
If you want to get into an OMS program, then do an OMS internship at a program that allows you to study for the CBSE, and one that takes their own interns, not one that you think is going to teach you how to do surgery. This will give you the best shot in my opinion. While there, dont focus on getting good at your hand skills, but instead being responsible, hard-working, communicating well, and amicable (not annoying). That is hard enough when people are burying you with scut work, and you are on Q3 call. No program director is going to be impressed with an intern's surgical skills, and be like "wow, we need this guy/gal so he can show us how to take out teeth like s/he does".
You make great points. If dentalveolar is the extent of the interest then an internship is not necessary.

I didn’t do a GPR and I am placing and restoring implants. I am also taking out 3rds. I took a lot of CE and started with easy cases and gradually did more difficult ones. But the key is to refer out cases you have no business touching in the first place. Unless you are confident you can handle the case from the beginning, save yourself the headache.

You make great points. If dentalveolar is the extent of the interest then an internship is not necessary.

I didn’t do a GPR and I am placing and restoring implants. I am also taking out 3rds. I took a lot of CE and started with easy cases and gradually did more difficult ones. But the key is to refer out cases you have no business touching in the first place. Unless you are confident you can handle the case from the beginning, save yourself the headache.
Which CE's for implants/3rd molar ext would you recommend?

Each one differs and it all depends on what you’re looking for. These continuums are expensive. Are you looking for something local? Are you looking for clinics abroad like Mexico and Guatemala? Or are you simply looking for a cadaver head to work on?
I recommend some research and finding what’s right for you.

It depends where you are in your skillset.
Learn to walk before you run.

If you aren't good at flapping for surgical extractions; maybe that is where you start. Just exodontia or regular teeth; before you do wisdom teeth.
If you are a GP doing wisdom teeth; I believe you need to tell your malpractice carrier; as your premiums will likely go up.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends where you are in your skillset.
Learn to walk before you run.

If you aren't good at flapping for surgical extractions; maybe that is where you start. Just exodontia or regular teeth; before you do wisdom teeth.
If you are a GP doing wisdom teeth; I believe you need to tell your malpractice carrier; as your premiums will likely go up.
Great post.
My premiums went way up when I added 3rds and implants.
And flapping and suturing is an absolute must for 3rds.

Not all OMFS internships get you the same dentoalveolar experience is what I’ve heard, plus I’d think most program directors would want you to be an OMFS applicant. Doing one would most likely get you the skills you’re looking for (flaps, safely using the drill, suturing, case selection, etc) but at a price though. Even people who want to do omfs quit partway into their internships lol

I’d recommend a GPR program that works closely with OMFS, and also hang out with OMFS/perio now as a dental student if your school has those programs. Sometimes residents are busy and will be happy to delegate work if they trust you

Reactions: 1 users