Peds 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a place with a list of application/acceptance statistics? I've looked on AAPD site and various program websites and have not seen any.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a foreign graduate, fresh out of dental school with some shadowing experience. I haven't taken any exams. Applying in this cycle. Very scared

Members don't see this ad :)
Several of the schools I was applying to required board results either through PASS or sent directly.

Any updates from school ? Did anyone hear from Howard university or Case Western University ? I have sent many emails but never received anything stating that my application is complete.

Just a bit curious, how many programs are you all applying to? Is the typical number 15-20?

Big Hoss

23 for me :) but I have been out for 8 years and we are selling our practice- it's all or nothing for me, so I wanted to have as many chances as possible :)

Just a bit curious, how many programs are you all applying to? Is the typical number 15-20?

Big Hoss

I applied to 18. SO and I both getting out of the Army so I can (hopefully) pursue this. Scary and exciting.

Have most people submitted 4 PEFs? Are three strong ones enough... just wondering how much weight having one extra one has. Especially if it'd be good, but nothing great/ personal.

If I had to pick a fourth one I'd be looking at an oral surgeon from my school was was head of student affairs or a lady who was the office manager at the pedo office I worked at. She and I are friends now... but I was fairly strict with some of the staff so given that I can't see the evaluation I'd be nervous about a comment about not working well with others... but she did do a job reference for me and apparently it was really good. Opinions?

Just wondering how many other people in the forum applied to some of the LMC programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have applied to 25 as well.. Some have sent in confirmations... fingers crossed

I also applied to 25 programs. Just confirmations at this point but I think that is consistent with the timelines of years past.

The Lutheran program's deadlines are on Aug 15th .. anybody get interview invites?

Reactions: 1 user
Got an interview invite from ECU today via email. Has anyone else heard anything from any other programs?

Reactions: 2 users
I just realized that I can apply to two more programs.

The deadline is Sep 15th for both the programs. I tried contacting the program but no answer. Do you think it is prudent to apply to those programs this late?

What do you all think?

Thanks

I just applied to an extra program after I found out I could apply to it - I contacted the program and they said to go ahead and apply :)

From the sounds of most programs they may start going over applications, but they wait until all are in and reviewed to decide on invites. So applying by the deadline is not much different than applying far in advance.

if we match to say our third choice and then a spot opens at our second choice and we are next on the programs rank list so we get offered that spot?
I know we sign a contract saying we'll go... but just wondering if that goes along with the MATCH rules.

if we match to say our third choice and then a spot opens at our second choice and we are next on the programs rank list so we get offered that spot?
I know we sign a contract saying we'll go... but just wondering if that goes along with the MATCH rules.
No, that's why we have post-match. They announce they have a spot open and someone (who is usually interviewed but didn't match anywhere) will take it.

Thanks for the replies.

I mean programs who initially fill the spot and then the person for whatever reason (no longer wants to do it, personal reasons etc) ends up not going to the program. For example they match in January and then in April they decide they can't go to the program.... does their spot get offered to the next person on the programs list regardless of whether that person has match elsewhere?

They fill it through post-match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how post match works. Is the post match process solely left to the discretion of the program director to pick any candidate they want to?

a. Who gets first preference in the post match...Someone who has been interviewed already at Program A but was not matched vs. someone who has strong credentials and never applied to Program A and is seeking position during the post match process at Program A.

Thanks

Anyone know what programs look at mainly for PASS application?... I forgot to include a volunteer dental clinic I did during dental school- but it is included in my institutional evaluation and on my CV. On my CV it explains the clinic, but the institutional evaluation may not have elaborated on it.
Since my stats are low and I didn't put any extracurriculars in there I hope this doesn't get overlooked!
thanks.

The Lutheran program's deadlines are on Aug 15th .. anybody get interview invites?
I got an invite from LMC-Missouri this past week.

Based on last year's thread, it seems most LMC invites happen late August and other programs follow.

Hey guys...I'm a second year resident at UCLA and our director (Dr. Silva) wanted us to spread the word that UCLA will NO LONGER BE REQUIRING the ADAT.
Due to conflicting info on ADEA and UCLA websites it will be waived this year :)

Not sure if this deterred any of you from applying but check it out and shoot over an app before September 15 if that was the only thing keeping you from applying.

Good Luck Everyone! Holler!

Ps...just in case you're skeptical you can email admin Jesse Saldana ([email protected]). Don't want anyone thinking I'm trolling the threads. Let him know Marcus sent you if you like.

Common sense would dictate that they are less competitive. I think there is some truth to this, but you still have to keep in mind that hundreds of people are applying for a handful of spots. It's still going to be extremely competitive, just less competitive when compared to a program with a 50k stipend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I would think as well. But, I also wonder if people are so worried about just getting in that paying for it becomes a mere afterthought, much like dental school admissions.

Big Hoss

That's what I would think as well. But, I also wonder if people are so worried about just getting in that paying for it becomes a mere afterthought, much like dental school admissions.

Big Hoss

Personally I did not apply to any programs that charge tuition, whether they offer a stipend also or not. There was a student in the class ahead of me that matched into NYU's program (not lutheran)... their tuition is like $70k/year plus fees... I'd rather re-apply than find myself in that position.

i'm sorry, i'm applying late and just have a small question. back when i applied to GPR programs, NBDE scores were mailed. however, now it seems like they only send them electronically.

for programs that require you to send them your NBDE scores, do you call each program specifically to ask for the email address you should send it to? or do you just enter the email address of the Program Director listed on ADEA PASS website?

thank you!

i'm sorry, i'm applying late and just have a small question. back when i applied to GPR programs, NBDE scores were mailed. however, now it seems like they only send them electronically.

for programs that require you to send them your NBDE scores, do you call each program specifically to ask for the email address you should send it to? or do you just enter the email address of the Program Director listed on ADEA PASS website?

thank you!

Once you submit your PASS app, most programs will send you a follow-up email saying where to address the official NBDE scores to. For those that don't, many programs have a residency coordinator who isn't the director but more of a point of contact. In those cases you send it to that person.

You can also just play it safe and make a quick call.

Does anyone know much about Case Western's Pedo program?

Hypothetically... could you send yourself the official NBDE I & II and DAT scores, and then just forward that to the various programs to save the $36 per request from the ADA?

Hypothetically... could you send yourself the official NBDE I & II and DAT scores, and then just forward that to the various programs to save the $36 per request from the ADA?

I did not venture that route because most of the programs wanted score report directly sent by the testing agency to them.

I did not venture that route because most of the programs wanted score report directly sent by the testing agency to them.
I did the same, but every time I paid $36 for the ADA to send an email, a small piece of my sanity left with it..

I did the same, but every time I paid $36 for the ADA to send an email, a small piece of my sanity left with it..
It's a cash cow for the ADA. Otherwise, your scores could simply be automatically uploaded to PASS because your account is linked to your DENTPIN and your DENTPIN account has all of your testing history right there.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Can programs see where else you applied?

The NYU Lutheran administration knew exactly how many programs I have applied to besides their programs

Just curious as to why they (the administration) even mentioned it or why it matters them how many programs you applied to? Guess I don't know all the politics of this whole application process.

Just curious as to why they (the administration) even mentioned it or why it matters them how many programs you applied to? Guess I don't know all the politics of this whole application process.

Just before the program deadline for the NYU Lutheran programs of August 15th I contacted the central contact email for all their programs. I just asked if all my information had been received and if not if I could know and I would check into it. At that time they responded saying that my application was successfully received and that they could see how many I applied too. I found it odd too. The lady that wrote me was Susan , and her title on the email was :
Information Center Representative
NYU Lutheran Dental Medicine

Just before the program deadline for the NYU Lutheran programs of August 15th I contacted the central contact email for all their programs. I just asked if all my information had been received and if not if I could know and I would check into it. At that time they responded saying that my application was successfully received and that they could see how many I applied too. I found it odd too. The lady that wrote me was Susan , and her title on the email was :
Information Center Representative
NYU Lutheran Dental Medicine
Is it possible she was referring only to other Lutheran programs? I've spoken to a couple GPR program directors who both said they couldn't see where else we'd applied. Maybe it's different for peds, though.