Peds Anesthesia Applicant - looking for information on certain programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted899865

I am applying to pediatric fellowship and am interested in a few programs that I have not yet applied to since I don't know anything about them. Was hoping there would be resident/fellows/attendings able to provide some insight.

Specifically:
1. Vanderbilt (somewhere down the forums someone mentioned they have rough hours and poor exposure to advanced cases)
2. Jacksonville (close to family but does not do any transplants)
3. Miami (new program, private practice, I was specifically told by an attending who interviewed there to look elsewhere. Was hoping for other feedback. Very close to family)
4. Nationwide in Columbus (I know it is a top peds hospital but I read a recent research paper published by them that was so poorly conducted and written. Stupid reason not to apply but it made me second think.)
5. OHSU (Website says fellows get lots of good cases but US News doesn't rank them high, if at all

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am applying to pediatric fellowship and am interested in a few programs that I have not yet applied to since I don't know anything about them. Was hoping there would be resident/fellows/attendings able to provide some insight.

Specifically:
1. Vanderbilt (somewhere down the forums someone mentioned they have rough hours and poor exposure to advanced cases)
2. Jacksonville (close to family but does not do any transplants)
3. Miami (new program, private practice, I was specifically told by an attending who interviewed there to look elsewhere. Was hoping for other feedback. Very close to family)
4. Children's National in Columbus (I know it is a top peds hospital but I read a recent research paper published by them that was so poorly conducted and written. Stupid reason not to apply but it made me second think.)
5. OHSU (Website says fellows get lots of good cases but US News doesn't rank them high, if at all

I have heard good things about Jacksonville, OHSU and Columbus. Probably would check out vandy but I have heard that it is not the most pleasant atmosphere.

I will say it’s a buyers market for peds fellowships. Many programs went unfilled this year due to slot expansion so I would look around and not be forced into picking one solely on reputation. Also of note I still think the job market is open in peds anesthesia. None of the fellows in the past few years at my program had any problem getting jobs, particularly if you are willing to do peds cardiac. If you want to do peds cardiac solely no problems getting jobs at all lol.

Remember however, most of these jobs pay about the same as PP generalist positions. Most academic centers will give you a bonus in terms of doing a fellowship (or give you added consideration in the hiring process) but some do not. Peds is an awesome field and gives you a marketable skillset but not much of a salary premium like adult cardiac or pain.

Also, think about what you want: do you want to be in PP or academics? Plenty of job opps in both, but (generally) in PP it will be more impt to be adaptable and fast than have tons of experience with niche cases like pedi-hearts or livers. In that case any program that meets acgme case requirements (all do) and gives you tons of cases and experience will work. As long as you are well trained and pedi-board certified you are gtg!

If academics (or subspecialty peds) is what you want it may be better to go to the prestige programs, and that’s really if you want to work at one of those post grad. If your heart is not set on working at the top programs (TCH, Boston Childrens etc) then I would venture to say it doesn’t matter as much.

Good luck in the process. My advice to you is go where your gut tells you to go. Peds fellowship is only one year so you want to be in an environment that you learn best in as well as one that gives you the best opportunity to hone your skills and be the goto guy/girl for sick kids.

Reactions: 1 user