peds residency difficulty with failed boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedshopeful2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking into advice on what to do. I failed my COMLEX I by around 20 points and passed with a 455/79 on the 2nd attempt. My failure was due to me focusing on too specific info in the beginning of my study period and then utilizing first aid and usmleworld extensively only the week before the test. I then continued on with my rotations and retook the exam without any time off achieving my passing score utilizing combank and first aid.

I received a High Pass (HP) on my Peds clerkship and in my 2nd year Pediatrics course. I have yet to receive results from COMLEX II and havent taken the PE exam. I have taken 2 peds subspecialty electives 4th year with HP in one and Honors in the other.

I'm wondering if I should just focus on the DO peds programs and then have rotating internships as backups or apply to both MD/DO programs and if subsequently unmatched in MD peds, then attempt to scramble into a rotating internship or peds spot if any are left over. I am looking for advice about this strategy and any info anyone would have about someone matching with similar stats in previous years and any strategy they used. Feel free to respond here or PM. Any and all help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I'm looking into advice on what to do. I failed my COMLEX I by around 20 points and passed with a 455/79 on the 2nd attempt. My failure was due to me focusing on too specific info in the beginning of my study period and then utilizing first aid and usmleworld extensively only the week before the test. I then continued on with my rotations and retook the exam without any time off achieving my passing score utilizing combank and first aid.

I received a High Pass (HP) on my Peds clerkship and in my 2nd year Pediatrics course. I have yet to receive results from COMLEX II and havent taken the PE exam. I have taken 2 peds subspecialty electives 4th year with HP in one and Honors in the other.

I'm wondering if I should just focus on the DO peds programs and then have rotating internships as backups or apply to both MD/DO programs and if subsequently unmatched in MD peds, then attempt to scramble into a rotating internship or peds spot if any are left over. I am looking for advice about this strategy and any info anyone would have about someone matching with similar stats in previous years and any strategy they used. Feel free to respond here or PM. Any and all help is appreciated.

I would apply to both MD/DO and see where you get interviews. You can decide later to forgo the DO match if you feel you'd rather go MD and have enough interviews lined up.

Seconded. Apply broadly and to 2nd and 3rd tier MD programs. Peds never fills, I imagine you'd be fine.