Where to talk about a board failure on ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RurouniKarly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After talking to a number of residents and program directors, I've gotten conflicting advice with almost an even split regarding where to address a board failure on ERAS. Half say to mention it in the personal statement, and half say the personal statement should only be positive and to address a board failure elsewhere in the application. However, looking at ERAS I can't even figure out where I would include that explanation. The way my personal statement currently flows, there's not a good way to weave an explanation of what happened with my Level 1 into the body of the essay, I would need to add that information as a paragraph at the end. I think my own preference would be to address it somewhere else within ERAS, but where would I even do that? I don't see any kind of "other" section where I could put it.

Members don't see this ad.

After talking to a number of residents and program directors, I've gotten conflicting advice with almost an even split regarding where to address a board failure on ERAS. Half say to mention it in the personal statement, and half say the personal statement should only be positive and to address a board failure elsewhere in the application. However, looking at ERAS I can't even figure out where I would include that explanation. The way my personal statement currently flows, there's not a good way to weave an explanation of what happened with my Level 1 into the body of the essay, I would need to add that information as a paragraph at the end. I think my own preference would be to address it somewhere else within ERAS, but where would I even do that? I don't see any kind of "other" section where I could put it.

I would put it in the PS, since the ERAS application is very straightforward and asks for specific things. At least in the PS you have the opportunity to explain it or like give it a positive twist about how you learned or how it made you grow and mature, etc.

One or two sentences in PS max.

I'm in agreement with Ktycat.

Taking it further... I believe you can put a "positive" spin on it by illustrating it as a challenge... and how you overcame it (personal and professional growth/wisdom/maturity). You will be contrained with the document length, so keep the passage/paragraph brief by employing power language. You can get across your point/message without being too wordy. Good luck.

If there is a line in the summary of my MSPE briefly addressing the reason for the board failure, is it still worthwhile to talk about it in my PS? I'm applying to family medicine if that makes a difference. Currently, what I've typed up to add to my PS is 3 sentences/85 words and addresses what the problem was, what I did to fix it, and what I learned from the experience. Cutting it down in any meaningful way would essentially make it a slightly reworded reiteration of what my MSPE already says.

Last edited:
I'm addressing it in my personal statement. There's not a section on ERAS for board failures, only increase in length of training. Also DO programs who have just transitioned might not be looking for that information separately. It's on the application, might as well be upfront about it.
I weaved my failure in to how I learned healthier study habits, importance of pacing myself and maintaining a balance with family, and better clinical reasoning than I'd had in my pre-clinical years.
It's a full paragraph tho. Maybe I made it too long :shrug:

Hiii, I am currently in the process for applying in 2023 for IM residency. I have had board failures and will probably include what happened in my personal statement. Do you have any pointers for interviews and residency applications?

Hiii, I am currently in the process for applying in 2023 for IM residency. I have had board failures and will probably include what happened in my personal statement. Do you have any pointers for interviews and residency applications?
OP was last here a year ago so unlikely to get an answer.

Assuming you remediated your failures and did well afterwards, you should address it in your PS, with particular focus on what you changed in order to improve and pass the exam(s).

OP was last here a year ago so unlikely to get an answer.

Assuming you remediated your failures and did well afterwards, you should address it in your PS, with particular focus on what you changed in order to improve and pass the exam(s).
Thank you for your response. I definitely plan to. I have worked very hard and really dealt with my testing anxiety. I failed my first two attempts of level 1 and passed on my third with a 481 and receive a 540 on my first attempt of level 2. I have received great evaluations from my attendings on my clinical capabilities and passion for medicine. Do you think I have a decent chance at IM residency?

Thank you for your response. I definitely plan to. I have worked very hard and really dealt with my testing anxiety. I failed my first two attempts of level 1 and passed on my third with a 481 and receive a 540 on my first attempt of level 2. I have received great evaluations from my attendings on my clinical capabilities and passion for medicine. Do you think I have a decent chance at IM residency?
Scores aren't everything. But you've clearly made significant strides, so from the COMLEX perspective, I think you'll be OK.

Scores aren't everything. But you've clearly made significant strides, so from the COMLEX perspective, I think you'll be OK.
Great! Thank you so much! Any insight in HCA hospitals with my type of application? I have so many volunteer experiences and even two publication in major journals. A lot of the community programs in areas I’m interested in are HCA.

Great! Thank you so much! Any insight in HCA hospitals with my type of application? I have so many volunteer experiences and even two publication in major journals. A lot of the community programs in areas I’m interested in are HCA.
Also you have a separate thread asking that question.

Reactions: 1 user