Peer Review Update Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkfluffybunny

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I really grinded out research in college and have 5 peer reviewed publications (2 in high impact journals, 2 first author). As a result, a decent pubmed indexed journal asked me to peer review a paper. I've heard mixed things about it, some people say it's super cool, some say it's nothing special. Would this be a good update to send medical schools I am waitlisted at? I already sent a letter about a month ish ago with an update about a poster and abstract I wrote that got accepted at a conference.

I'd love your insight @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif

Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Are you a professor? Then it's a deal. Not major. It's less important if you aren't.
nope just a regular student RIP. I was hoping it could be seen as "the next step" after accumulating a few publications - would you recommend sending the second update about it then?

Members don't see this ad :)
nope just a regular student RIP. I was hoping it could be seen as "the next step" after accumulating a few publications - would you recommend sending the second update about it then?
No it is a nothing burger. Editors have enough trouble getting faculty to be reviewers.

Sadly, it is not your research output and involvement that has got you on the waitlists, it is just that you are good but not quite as good as those who received offers. At this point, the schools are waiting for offers to be turned down. Until that happens at least 100 times (or a multiple of 100 at some schools), they just do not have a seat for you. If a seat becomes available, it will be offered whether or not you've been a peer reviewer.

Reactions: 1 user