Penalties for holding multiple accepts past April 30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhopeful82

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than losing deposits of course... Is there anything stopping people from holding multiple?

I have a classmate holding 3 and she said she doesn't plan to make a decision until July, which annoyed me because I'm on the waitlist at one of them!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think schools reserve the right to withdraw your acceptance for you.

As in you could be left with nothing

Whoa! But it's usually good to follow the rules, especially when it is this important. Thanks for posting that gonnif .

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
She will show up and be flagged on the daily update of the National Acceptance Report. This will be followed by at most schools by an update via email (from the automated system at AAMC) and a flag of the AMCAS ID for each school's system. At that point she is in both violation of AAMC policy and most schools stated policy for adherence of holding multiple acceptances. Most school's published policy will allow them to immediately withdraw acceptance without notice as the acceptee has failed to comply with the policy. So all three could immediately withdraw acceptances and acceptee would have no recourse as well as likely barred by AMCAS from applying ever again.
So basically, if you attempt this, life as you know it has come to an end.

Reactions: 6 users
She will show up and be flagged on the daily update of the National Acceptance Report. This will be followed by at most schools by an update via email (from the automated system at AAMC) and a flag of the AMCAS ID for each school's system. At that point she is in both violation of AAMC policy and most schools stated policy for adherence of holding multiple acceptances. Most school's published policy will allow them to immediately withdraw acceptance without notice as the acceptee has failed to comply with the policy. So all three could immediately withdraw acceptances and acceptee would have no recourse as well as likely barred by AMCAS from applying ever again.

Is this pretty common for schools to auto remove the acceptances without warning? Or do they email the applicant first?
Yes, I think it's pretty fair, but that could be devastating!

If you get offered a seat from the wait list (after 4/30), don't you have multiple acceptances at that point? How does that work?

Edit: @gonnif answered my question before I posted. :) Thanks!

Why does she want to do this? I don't see any benefit to putting off housing and travel plans to the last minute...

What about having an MD and DO acceptance? Do the same rules apply for ACOMAS as for AMCAS?

What about having an MD and DO acceptance? Do the same rules apply for ACOMAS as for AMCAS?

The two governing bodies of those respective organizations do not communicate with each other in terms of student admissions as far as I know.

How much are April 30 despotis?

Technicality question here:

I get that the deadline to withdraw is April 30 (or May 2 for this year but let's just call it April 30 for now). So let's say you email schools telling them you want to withdraw on 11:59 PM EST on April 30. What if the admissions office at those schools did not actually withdraw you from the school (at least on the AMCAS system) until the next day (May 1) in the afternoon?

So there would be a "lag" between you (the applicant) actually sending out the email that you want to withdraw and the school(s) updating this information on the AMCAS system.

During this lag time (like the morning of May 1 in this situation), I suppose it would be possible for all your schools (including the one to which you intend to matriculate) to see on the AMCAS system that you haven't withdrawn from all but one school. Then all you schools would reject you and you would be left with nothing. I suppose most schools would provide some "leeway" but just thinking of worst case scenarios here.

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if you are accepted off the waitlist somewhere, let's say sometime over summer. How long do you have to withdraw one of your two acceptances at that point?

What happens if you are accepted off the waitlist somewhere, let's say sometime over summer. How long do you have to withdraw one of your two acceptances at that point?
Edit: gonnif corrected - minimum 5 business days

Last edited:
I knew someone that got extra time while FA packages were still out. It wasn't more than a week or so. She was in contact with both schools so she wasn't punished. I am sure that this isn't an unusual situation.

The first couple of weeks after 4/30 is chaotic for admissions/acceptances and the next two weeks the same with the first wait list major movements.

I submitted a deposit for one school a long while ago and just today received an acceptance from another school (still on the waiting list at a few others). However, I haven't received any financial aid info from either school. Can I expect to receive this info before I have to decide?

Other than losing deposits of course... Is there anything stopping people from holding multiple?

I have a classmate holding 3 and she said she doesn't plan to make a decision until July, which annoyed me because I'm on the waitlist at one of them!

Don't tell her, let her burn.

Edit: deleted my question as you already answered it :)

Prior to this evening, I had 1 acceptance from school A. I accepted the offer and paid the deposit back in October. This evening I received a phone call saying that I got off the waitlist at school B. I informally said I would attend and was told I had five days to formally accept the offer. My understanding is traffic day rules say I need to withdraw all but one acceptance by the end of tonight. Does my offer from less than two hours ago count as a pre traffic day acceptance, or do I have to formally accept school b's offer (by snail mail, along with the deposit) to be considered to have multiple acceptances? I have an awful paranoid fear that not withdrawing from school a til tomorrow or even tonight (Post business day) will get me in trouble. Yes I know I need a chill pill and I could probably search for the answer but please help me out.

Thanks gonnif, I'm planning to call school a tomorrow to withdraw.

Straight from OHSU director of admissions, she told us no med school will actually withdraw your acceptance even if you violate the traffic day rules, she said they will essentially harass the s**t out of you until you yourself withdraw your acceptance. This is to essentially avoid getting sued by neurotic premeds she said haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Okay so if you're on a waitlist and you get accepted you SHOULD have five days to chose whether or not to accept that offer over your current one?

That is not correct. The traffic guidelines say it should be at least 5 days. Also remember, these are technically recommendations,
but when it comes to after April 30th and waitlist, schools may have tendency for sooner rather then later, especially as it draws closer to
orientation.

https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf (emphasis added)
Traffic Rules for Admissions: AAMC Recommendations for Medical School and
M.D.-Ph.D. Admission Officers

6) After April 30, each school or program implement school-specific procedures for
accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or
more places at other schools or programs. These procedures:
a. Each school or program should permit applicants:
i. A minimum of 5 business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be
reduced to a minimum of 2 business days within 30 days of the start of orientation
ii. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.

Re: "
Each school or program should permit applicants:
---i.A minimum of 5 business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of 2 business days within 30 days of the start of orientation

The point here is not "minimum" but MAXIMUM! What is the "maximum" number of days allowed, not "minimum." I'm happy to comply with the "minimum." It's the maximum I would be worried about.

Okay. So if my school has not provided clear post April 30th guidelines but just mailed us the suggested AMCAS traffic rules... if I get in at a waitlist I could lose my initial acceptance if I'm out of touch for a few days?

Man I did decently enough on the verbal section of the MCAT but I feel lost here.

if you get waitlisted, your intial school will know. having them send you the traffic rules suggests 5 days

my question to all would be why would it take anyone more than a few minutrs to decide. by this point should have all your waitlist schools ranked. You should have given thought to location, environ, curriculum, and the rest and this choice should be quick

Scholarship/Fin aid offers?

Also thanks!

IDK people have posted they've got more money from the original school when they got accepted off a wait list before?

Expect loans from the waitlist school.

I mean... I'm sorta hoping non-waitlist should would make a better offer. I sorta realize this is a pipe dream and am probably gonna withdraw from the waitlist.

I mean... I'm sorta hoping non-waitlist should would make a better offer. I sorta realize this is a pipe dream and am probably gonna withdraw from the waitlist.
This can happen sometimes. If the new acceptance is at a better or cheaper school and the candidate is highly sought after and school A is not over subscribed.

This can happen sometimes. If the new acceptance is at a better or cheaper school and the candidate is highly sought after and school A is not over subscribed.

Yea the school I'm waitlisted at is cheaper... dang so maybe I should hold on? I'm just worried now somethingcould go wrong and I'd lose my seat...

that's good right?

But yea, what I'm worried about is anything that could jeopardize my current acceptance.
At least they are not motivated to see you to go!
They don't know anything about where you are waitlisted.

no I meant if waitlisted school accepts me, is there a risk of losing my current acceptance?

And if there is the fact that that school is reaching on the WL already means they're less likely to do something like that cause they want to retain me right?