Pending pre-reqs and the app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dullhead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, seeking advice on pending pre-reqs and the app cycle. My hope is to apply this cycle, heavier emphasis on DO due to late MCAT (July or August.) I was enrolled in OChem II this semester, which would have left biochem and 1 other science class pending. Of those two, I was planning on biochem online at UNE and perhaps microbio or something else at CC in the fall.

Well, work interfered and I had to drop OChem II. Previously I was under the impression that pre-reqs could remain pending but had to be completed prior to matriculation. However, I was recently reading the FAQs on Touro-NV's website and they state that no pre-reqs from the spring semester will be accepted for matriculation. That means this fall would be the last semester to take in-person classes. I don't know their policy on online courses that can be started any week of the year and completed in an accelerated time frame.

Assuming this policy is similar at other institutions, it leaves me taking Ochem II and biochem, both online, this fall and depending on the outcome of those two, trying to see if I can fit in a 3rd science class online as well. Those of you who went through this cycle with pending pre-reqs - could you describe your experiences? TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of Touro's policy on pre-reqs, but looks like you're right. It's not like that for other institutions, but I guess it's institution specific. I got accepted without ochem1 lab, ochem2 lab, AND I didn't include biology1 in my primary application (obviously it was present in my transcript).

Are you set on Touro or are you applying outside the state too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't aware of Touro's policy on pre-reqs, but looks like you're right. It's not like that for other institutions, but I guess it's institution specific. I got accepted without ochem1 lab, ochem2 lab, AND I didn't include biology1 in my primary application (obviously it was present in my transcript).

Are you set on Touro or are you applying outside the state too?
Thanks for the info. I'm not set on any geographical region. I have a list that currently has 7 schools where I only need OChem II w/lab and all other pre-reqs are done. I have a couple other schools such as DMU that don't need OChem II but would need biochem. Next are schools that require both OChem II and biochem. That brings the list to about 12 schools. Finally there are other schools that require various combinations of OChem II, biochem, and 4 more credits in science. KCU for example does not require OChem II, but requires biochem and 4 additional credits in Bio (12 credits total).

In order to have the best shot to apply broadly, I'd need Ochem II and biochem for sure, and it would be better to have an additional 4-credit class (for KCU etc). If I have to fit all this into the fall semester, I might not make it this cycle. And if that really is the case, I'd rather put the MCAT off until next Jan and focus on next year's cycle. But I would really like to apply this cycle.

Edit: did you complete your labs prior to matriculation? And if so, was that in the spring semester? Meaning, were you allowed right up to the day of matriculation to provide your final transcripts?

Thanks for the info. I'm not set on any geographical region. I have a list that currently has 7 schools where I only need OChem II w/lab and all other pre-reqs are done. I have a couple other schools such as DMU that don't need OChem II but would need biochem. Next are schools that require both OChem II and biochem. That brings the list to about 12 schools. Finally there are other schools that require various combinations of OChem II, biochem, and 4 more credits in science. KCU for example does not require OChem II, but requires biochem and 4 additional credits in Bio (12 credits total).

In order to have the best shot to apply broadly, I'd need Ochem II and biochem for sure, and it would be better to have an additional 4-credit class (for KCU etc). If I have to fit all this into the fall semester, I might not make it this cycle. And if that really is the case, I'd rather put the MCAT off until next Jan and focus on next year's cycle. But I would really like to apply this cycle.

Edit: did you complete your labs prior to matriculation? And if so, was that in the spring semester? Meaning, were you allowed right up to the day of matriculation to provide your final transcripts?

Yeah, I was about to suggest you apply summer of 2018. I'll sound a like a broken record, but you don't want to rush your MCAT without a solid biochem foundation. If you delay a year, get As in those classes, ample time for MCAT in the spring, then your overall app can only be stronger.

I got acceptances to three schools while enrolled in ochem1 lab last fall. The school I'll be matriculating to told me to finish my ochem2 lab and just send a final transcript this July. I'm in ochem2 lab right now this semester.

Yeah, I was about to suggest you apply summer of 2018. I'll sound a like a broken record, but you don't want to rush your MCAT without a solid biochem foundation. If you delay a year, get As in those classes, ample time for MCAT in the spring, then your overall app can only be stronger.

I got acceptances to three schools while enrolled in ochem1 lab last fall. The school I'll be matriculating to told me to finish my ochem2 lab and just send a final transcript this July. I'm in ochem2 lab right now this semester.
Thanks. So looks like that policy was unique to Touro-NV. I get that it might be much better to put it off a year, but I'm tired of this pre-req process and want to be done. Still, I'll make an effort to think calmly about this.

I'm in a similar situation to yours, so I feel you concerning how arduous another year of pre reqs and not having everything fallen into place yet would be. I'm taking the June 30th MCAT and am in biochem 1 right now. All I can say is having a biochem class has helped me study for the MCAT so much. It covers a ton of ochem, bio obviously, genetics, gen chem, lab techniques, etc. I was considering taking the MCAT without biochem either but in hindsight am so glad I chose to take it first.

Good luck with whatever you decide, just wanted to share my thinking since we're in a similar spot.

I'm in a similar situation to yours, so I feel you concerning how arduous another year of pre reqs and not having everything fallen into place yet would be. I'm taking the June 30th MCAT and am in biochem 1 right now. All I can say is having a biochem class has helped me study for the MCAT so much. It covers a ton of ochem, bio obviously, genetics, gen chem, lab techniques, etc. I was considering taking the MCAT without biochem either but in hindsight am so glad I chose to take it first.

Good luck with whatever you decide, just wanted to share my thinking since we're in a similar spot.
Yeah, I agree. I started this in 2010 so I'm ready to move on to the next phase. The past few years have been a cycle of "I need to keep my job for income" then job interferes with grades or I have to drop the course altogether. If I had an MCAT score in hand, that would give me the confidence to quit the job and go on loans fulltime for one semester to clear any remaining pre-reqs. Good luck to you as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to add, late mcat by itself doesn't take you out of the running from MD schools. Took mine end of August and still did okay this cycle. If everything else is okay, apply to a few MD as well. Good luck.