PENN corner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, its official. The first batch of acceptance letters went out yesterday as told by Ms. Corky Caca's in her correspondence to me. So that means RSXer, GTChick, sam1234, Qoo and all my other SDN buddies who interviewed there should hopefully be getting some good news.

Just wanted to put up a new thread since the letters are gonna sprinkle here and there first. Ms. Cacas did say that they don't mail everything in one batch but in small batches. I believe that the people who interviewed there early should hear something soon.

Good luck everyone. Remember to post if you hear something.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad.

Thanx for getting that info, Desi. Well, I live about 3 hours south of UPENN, so hopefully I should be getting "something" in the mail today or tomorrow.

Good luck to you all!!! :D

Okay, there is one official acceptance so far. I haven't checked my mail yet, but hopefully a big package is there. Anyone else wanna share their good news from PENN?

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the acceptence to UPENN this afternoon. As a sidenote to all the 'apply early' cheerleaders... I applied early August, file complete in early november, and interview on 11/22. Yeah there is some but not overwhelming correlation between date application submitted and receiving an acceptence.
UPENN is too expensive for me, so you know one spot is opening up.:p
Once again, congrats to all!

YAY FOR PENN!!!!!!!

I GOT IN TODAY!!

I LOVE IT.

JUST NEED TO HEAR FROM U.Washington now. time is ticking.

So who is definately gonna put the first deposit at PENN?

Any bidders? $500?

DesiDentist

Hey Desi,
Congrats, :clap: :clap: That's definitely wonderful news. Best of luck with your first choice. I'm sure you'll get it.
T

Thanks Tink,

It was good talking to you today. I see a bright dental career in your future. Keep me upto date how things turn out.

Regards,

DesiDentist

I have to decide btw BU, University of Maryland, and UPENN. Still waiting to hear from Columbia and Case western.

I'm leaning towards UPENN

what do u guys think? I'm from Toronto, Canada so guys know better than me about the reputation of schools in the US and what it means for future opportunities. I've looked at OMFS residents at various schools and there always seems to be students from UPENN & Columbia. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Ranman, 'ol buddy!!

Congrats on PENN. Your instincts are right. PENN is a great school. I've done my research and I definately confident in this program no matter what other say.

I spent half a month in philly. I interviewed there at Temple and PENN. I was all gung ho about Temple for a long time. I loved the program, and I still do. However, while working with a 4th year student I was asked questions about where else I applied or interviewed. I told him that I interviewed at PENN as well. His jaw almost dropped and it seemed he would need some oral surgery done on him.

He took me aside and told me:"If you get into PENN go to PENN." I was confused and I asked him "why?" he said that they will treat you right. I took it in with an open mind.

Later, during our lunch break a couple of other 4th year students joined us and a 5th year student. It was funny cuz I brought up why he was another 5th year? He said that he couldn't graduate since a couple of patients had screwed him over and not paid their bills which he had to pay. He didn't have the money and he lost all his credit on his procedures since at Temple if a patient doesn't pay you lose your procedure credit, as he told me.

Another one of the kids asked me how I liked Temple. I was all enthusiastic. He asked me where else I applied and I said I just interviewed at PENN a couple of days ago. His eyes lit up and he literally slammed his fists on the table and yelled "Damn it!!" I was so confused.

He calmed down and said that the biggest mistake in his life was not to go to PENN. I was like why? The name? he said you get treated like a human there and they have the scores to prove their success. He was very upset about the program he was partaking in. He went on and talked about his friend who went to college with him and decided to go to PENN. He said, "He seems very happy there and doesn't regret his decision like I do." I was dumbfounded. He continued about board scores and stated that his friend got a 93% on his part I boards, while he got a 82%. He was upset that he used to be the smart one in college. He agreed that PENN prepared his friend really well.

I was concerned regarding clinics. He went on and said that Temple is a great clinical school, but so is every accredited school. "If you are willing to spend the time, you will get patients." It may not be overflowing like Temple but patients will come.

For this reason, I was shocked that 4 people that day told me to go to PENN. Was this a conspiracy? I had 6 days remaining in philly and I examined PENN. Everyday I was there observing. I talked to a few dentists and they were very amicable. I loved the kindness vibe i got.

Regarding money. PENN is expensive. But unlike other schools they are gonna pay your entire interest for your unsubsidized loans FOR ALL FOUR YEARS THERE. Think about that, if you go to school that is 33,000 a year with an interest on you loans totaling 3-5% quarterly then you are paying almost if not more than the 42,000 for PENN.

For you it maybe different since you are from Canada. I would look into this.

I laud you for highly regarding PENN. I do as well. I agree with your instincts and judgments. Remember your heart does not lie.

DesiDentist

Thanks Desi, I appreciate the insight and hope to see u at UPENN next year even though I know your first choice is UW because it's close to home.

CONGRATS DESI!!!! I had my fingers crossed for ya!!!! :)

I'm definitely sending my money in, by the way. I sent the tax forms to my 'rents today...

:clap: :clap: EB

Hi Erin,

I'm so excited for ya. I just hope UW tells me quick if they want me cuz i got some major deciding to do. PENN or NOVA is my final hurdle.

DesiDentist

:clap: yay for everybody who got in!
Maybe we will be classmates next fall!