Penn finally made decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaganheim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found myself on yet another waitlist....I'm beginning to dislike waitlists. If I'm in tier 2 (out of 2) should I just assume that I'm not getting in? I'm assuming yes, but feel free to share stories otherwise. Congrats to those who manage to procure actual acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry gagenheim :( Nobody gets a rejection post-interview at Penn, but Tier 2 is almost a rejection. There have been students in past years who have come off of Tier 2, but it's rare and the school has to dig far into its waitlist to get there.

I figured as much, just wanted confirmation.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the story with Tier 1?

Here's the tier system, as long as it hasn't changed in a few years:

Top of tier 1 - very good chance of getting in, will be invited to second look
Tier 1 - Like a regular waitlist anywhere else. LOI will help if you want to send.
Tier 2 - Penn doesn't give out post-interview rejections, but this is the closest to. This is pretty far down the waitlist, so your chances are pretty slim.

Every year people wonder if they're in the top of tier 1 group. If you get invited to second look (in past years the info would be on your status site), you are in the top group. Usually it says something to that effect on the official letters as well.

a tier 1 waitlist... i am seriously excited not to be rejected for once :laugh:

Tier 1... no info about revisit on the status page. Do you know if that means i'm not at the "top" of tier 1? Do they only first accept the exact # of applicants they have spots for, then take people from the waitlist?

WhiteRussian said:
Tier 1... no info about revisit on the status page. Do you know if that means i'm not at the "top" of tier 1?

The details of this change from year to year. Sometimes there's something on the website, sometimes not. It usually becomes clear after people start comparing their waitlist letters which are top of tier 1 and which are regular tier 1.

Do they only first accept the exact # of applicants they have spots for, then take people from the waitlist?

In past years, my understanding is that this is the case. The # of applicants coming off the waitlist has varied quite a bit from year to year in the past 5 years, such that I remember on year (two years ago I think) not everyone on top of tier 1 ended up with acceptances and my year they went into tier 2. In any case, they generally don't start pulling people off the waitlist until past May 15th and only when you say "If you accept me I'll definately come".

Neuronix said:
In any case, they generally don't start pulling people off the waitlist until past May 15th and only when you say "If you accept me I'll definately come".

So does this mean that if people are on the waitlist and have other schools they were accepted to and must notify before May 15th that it's time to give up on Penn and start planning for elsewhere?

ZenAlchemy said:
So does this mean that if people are on the waitlist and have other schools they were accepted to and must notify before May 15th that it's time to give up on Penn and start planning for elsewhere?

After May 15th by the AAMC's rules you may only hold one acceptance. However, if you receive a new acceptance (i.e. off a waitlist), you have two weeks to make a decision on that new acceptance. Some programs will really want you to commit to them by May 15th, however you are in no way officially bound to them until the program starts.

Neuronix said:
After May 15th by the AAMC's rules you may only hold one acceptance. However, if you receive a new acceptance (i.e. off a waitlist), you have two weeks to make a decision on that new acceptance. Some programs will really want you to commit to them by May 15th, however you are in no way officially bound to them until the program starts.

My understanding was that this only applied to programs starting after August 1st. Cornell (Tri-I) starts before that time, and wants decisions earlier. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is what they said at their interview.

ZenAlchemy said:
My understanding was that this only applied to programs starting after August 1st. Cornell (Tri-I) starts before that time, and wants decisions earlier. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is what they said at their interview.

Schools can (and often will) ask you to remove yourself from consideration at all other schools. They can't force you to do so until you actually start their program. One of the Cornell people is liable to jump on this thread and say "WE START EARLY! WE HAVE TO KNOW!" For this reason you should make a decision now if you would really attend Penn if you got off their waitlist and either be honest or be deceptive and come if you really want to come. If this applies to you, you should let Penn know about this and see if there's anything they can do on their end. You're not the first person with this dilemma, especially here at late to notify Penn, so they'll understand.

I hope nobody gets mad at me for saying what I'm saying here, but every school has a waitlist. Cornell can pull someone off its waitlist to replace you if you withdraw in May. If they were really really stuck, they'd take one more med student and take one more MD/PhD student the following year. You need to do what's right for you when it comes to a decision this important.

Good luck!

Edit: Thinking about this more, an LOI/call to the school about these things often will bump you up on the waitlist from tier 1 to "top of tier 1". The waitlist is ranked, and while under no circumstances will you learn your rank, you can often be pushed up by your enthusiasm. This probably won't work nearly as well for the Tier 2 people...

I appreciate the response, Neuronix.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the interested, I checked out the list of MD/PhD acceptees today. There was 38 spots handed out for a class size in the low 20s. That makes every time I said Penn doesn't give many acceptances past the number of spots pretty wrong. Apologies for that.

Neuronix said:
For the interested, I checked out the list of MD/PhD acceptees today. There was 38 spots handed out for a class size in the low 20s. That makes every time I said Penn doesn't give many acceptances past the number of spots pretty wrong. Apologies for that.

Do you know how many people are on the Tier 1 Waitlist?

Sorry, I don't. They probably wouldn't tell me, so I'm not going to ask. Again, if Penn is your first choice let them know and they're fairly good about either bumping you up or letting you know what your chances are.

If the feeling on SDN is the same feeling of the entire applicant pool, Penn is going to have a big class this year.

well done in your recruiting penn.

CaipirinhaQuinho said:
If the feeling on SDN is the same feeling of the entire applicant pool, Penn is going to have a big class this year.

well done in your recruiting penn.

big WORD to that CaipirinhaQuinho....

1st tier here...wondering what options are to increase chances to get in....would calling to express interest affect chances?

cherryman said:
1st tier here...wondering what options are to increase chances to get in....would calling to express interest affect chances?

also...has penn let in the first round of waitlisted applicants...when do u think this first round will be?

cherryman said:

Send a letter of intent if you'd really like to improve your chances and you really want to come. Tell them in it that you will come if you are accepted. Of course that won't guarantee anything, but it could help.

As for your second question, the waitlist usually doesn't move until May 15th and to my knowledge hasn't moved yet this year. How much it moves varies wildly from year to year. Good luck!

out of curiosity...wats ur favorite computer game neuronix??

will the committee call at all, or will all communications be done via email and the website?

I got a call from the director. Most spots off the waitlist are only offered if you pledge to take the spot, so you'll probably get a phone call that will ask you to pledge your undying love as well. I did at least get a second look before I had to make a decision as to whether or not I was accepted.

will the call occur around the same week as waitlist acceptances are made?

i.e. not way before?

cherryman said:
will the call occur around the same week as waitlist acceptances are made?

Yes. They will call you and ask you how you feel about Penn. Then, if you say you would come if you are accepted, they will accept you. If you are unsure, they may invite you back for a second look. That's essentially how waitlist acceptances work at a lot of schools.

any news on waitlist acceptances yet?

Has UPenn filled their class yet?

Rumor has it that as of 3pm on decision day, Penn has 16 confirmed. I have no idea how many their looking to fill.

I'm really excited and can't wait to meet everyone.

CaipirinhaQuinho said:
Rumor has it that as of 3pm on decision day, Penn has 16 confirmed. I have no idea how many their looking to fill.

I'm really excited and can't wait to meet everyone.

how do you know this? and is this for MSTP or MD? thanks!

3 pm..decision day...what do u mean???

u mean May 15th....u mean Penn ONLY has 16 people in its class so far...u must be talking about MSTP?

im interested in MD here

is decision day may 15th?....u mean Penn med ONLY has 16 people in its class so far?...u must be talking about MSTP?

im interested in MD here

theres like 17 people on mdapplicants who have said they've been accepted to Penn...aaaargh wats going on???

You're in the MD/PhD forum. :p

Though good luck of course. Looking forward to learning with you next year. :love:

cherryman said:

is decision day may 15th?....u mean Penn med ONLY has 16 people in its class so far?...u must be talking about MSTP?

im interested in MD here

theres like 17 people on mdapplicants who have said they've been accepted to Penn...aaaargh wats going on???

haha, sorry for the confusion all. The 16 are for MD/PhD class and that was of 3pm today. Someone dropped off my check for me and Maggie told them they had 16 with some "surprises". I have no idea what that means so don't ask me. Can't wait to meet everyone next year.

What the hell is a surprise? Is it a student named Sweets McCandy who you never see but whose NIH funding goes to pay for cookies in the MD/PhD office?

PostalWookie said:
What the hell is a surprise? Is it a student named Sweets McCandy who you never see but whose NIH funding goes to pay for cookies in the MD/PhD office?
haha, i remember the candy in the office!!!

PostalWookie said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maggie always calls me a surprise because she didn't know I would decide to come at the last minute. Could that be what she meant?