Penn Holds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeblimes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was interviewed as the first batch but I was put on hold status, which I am guessing is like a waiting list. From my experiences with undergrad waiting lists, the chances are slim on back-up, but I was wondering if anyone of you also has been put on hold or if anyone knows how it is with being on hold with Penn specifically. Congrats though to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting to hear something from them!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also on hold for UPenn. I interviewed on 1/12. On hold at UPenn is not a waitlist. It simply means we are still under consideration but they want to interview more people before they decide on us. So at a future date the admissions committe will consider us again and will then decide to accept or reject our application. My understanding of a waitlist is that you are accepted if a slot opens up--that is not what on hold is! But there is still hope!

I was given no indication of when they would finally decide but I assume it is after they are done with all their interviews.

I am also on Hold @ Penn following my 2/16 interview. I got the letter 2/22 which was dated 2/21. I am choosing to see this as a good sign because it means there is still hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also on hold for UPenn. I interviewed on 1/12. On hold at UPenn is not a waitlist. It simply means we are still under consideration but they want to interview more people before they decide on us. So at a future date the admissions committe will consider us again and will then decide to accept or reject our application. My understanding of a waitlist is that you are accepted if a slot opens up--that is not what on hold is! But there is still hope!

I was given no indication of when they would finally decide but I assume it is after they are done with all their interviews.

I asked about this (because I thought you could still be rejected at a later date as well), and the students I talked to gave me very puzzled looks and said "well I guess you could be rejected after being on hold, but I've never heard of that happening." They said they put you on hold, interview the rest, and then when interviews are done (i.e. now) they'll look at your app in comparison with the others they're still considering in order to "fill out the class" as someone else said in another thread. If that made any sense.

Those that aren't flat-out accepted from the hold list go onto the wait-list. :luck:

Just got my On Hold letter from Penn today (snail mail). I interviewed on the 23rd of Feb. At least they gave me a chance, I'll take anything! Anyone know when they're deciding the last of their acceptances?

Snail Mail from Penn today. I am an alternate for the Fall 2007 class. The letter asks for an address & number where I can be reached "during the next several months"-going to be a long spring/summer, I guess. I must reply to this offer by 3/30. No mention is made of in-state vs. out-of-state status so I am wondering if Penn has one big alternate list this yr or if they are separating the waitlist by in-state/out-of-staters, as in the past? Does anyone know?

Snail Mail from Penn today. I am an alternate for the Fall 2007 class. The letter asks for an address & number where I can be reached "during the next several months"-going to be a long spring/summer, I guess. I must reply to this offer by 3/30. No mention is made of in-state vs. out-of-state status so I am wondering if Penn has one big alternate list this yr or if they are separating the waitlist by in-state/out-of-staters, as in the past? Does anyone know?

I too have been put on the alternate list. Unfortunately (for me, being in-state), penn maintains the 51/49 % ratio. Are you in-state, also?

Are you in-state, also?

no - out of state. will that matter, do you think?

for those of you who are penn alternates--were you previously on hold? (did you interview?) i have not interviewed, nor have I heard anything from them... thanks!

Are you in-state, also?

no - out of state. will that matter, do you think?

Yes, the out-of-state wait list always moves more than the in-state wait list for 2 reasons: 1) it's more difficult to get in out-of-state, so if you got in then there's a good chance you also got other schools out-of-state and may not choose that school 2) even if you got in out-of-state, a lot of times it's much cheaper to go to your state school (if you have one)

Although, I would imagine that Penn's wait list moves a bit less than other schools...

Yes, the out-of-state wait list always moves more than the in-state wait list for 2 reasons: 1) it's more difficult to get in out-of-state, so if you got in then there's a good chance you also got other schools out-of-state and may not choose that school 2) even if you got in out-of-state, a lot of times it's much cheaper to go to your state school (if you have one)

That is what I thought although the letter does not mention the alternate list as in-state or otherwise-more like it's one big list. But I will keep my fingers crossed anyway that enough decide to go elsewhere to make a difference for me.
To answer Seavet-I did interview and I received a letter post interview that told me I was "on Hold." (I am out-of-state)

I just got the letter today, I'm an alternate. From what I heard from a girl at Tufts now, she was put on hold, then waitlisted, then rejected AFTER she has already begun at Tufts in September. So I guess this waitlist can be a longgggg one, though September seems a bit too ridiculous. I was interviewed as the first batch too all the way back in January, and I'd imagine that the waitlist should come from the holds because it's like the natural slope down...

Anyway, good luck everyone who is still in this limbo with Penn!