Penn Internship Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent2468

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what is the deal with the Penn internship year? I have heard that the residency program at Penn is pretty painful and that residents left the program last year? I hear all years aren't great, but the internship year at Penn is awful?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a resident at Penn. 3 people left last year. One left for medical reasons mid first year, one moved to NYC to be closer to their spouse who matched in fellowship there, and one decided to apply during internship and started a Neuro residency. We are busy but I don't think it is a painful internship year at all. 5 weeks vacation, 2 months of ambulatory medicine with no call and the rest is Q4 (Q3 if in the unit). We all get along really well and our program director is incredible. I've gone over 80hrs/week once. Feel free to ask more details questions and I'll respond!

my husband did his IM training there. wasn't as painful as you are describing it. you definitely work hard (but that's like any other top IM program)...but not to the point where you want to quit. last year's people left for the very reasons souljah is describing...not because they hated it.

Members don't see this ad :)
They get ~4 weeks of vacation, cell phones, orientation paid for, nice white coats, nice business cards. They have their own penn-specific intern survival book. Their patients are sicker because of transplant/chronic dz type patients. It compares favorably to some of the programs in New York like Cornell and Mt Sinai. It takes a while to learn the computers and the layout of the hospital. I haven't heard anything bad about it.

how competitive is the penn prelim match compared to categorical?