Penn Medical School and MD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRJ26

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm a high school senior, recently accepted to colleges(Georgetown, Cornell, Penn State, SUNY Binghamton). I will be a pre-med at Cornell, and I have begun thinking about medical schools that I would like to apply to, and the one that I would consider my "top" choice, at least at the moment. I have found that Penn Med School is my top choice as of now. Firstly, I've heard that it has a very strong Department of Radiology, which is what I'm currently looking into. Also, I like the fact that it is a part of the Penn campus at large, not isolated on a separate campus, as in other schools. I guess I like that b/c I've always loved the Penn campus, and I was denied from Penn, lol, so it would be an opportunity to experience the Penn academic and social environment. What are your takes on Penn Medical School, specifically in terms of radiology, and what I would need to have to stand out when applying. I will be a psychology major, as well as taking the pre-med courses.

Another important reason why I like Penn is b/c of the combined MD/MBA program. I've always had an interest in business, and would be interested in pursuing an MBA at Wharton. What is the primary purpose of having both an MD and MBA? What would be the benefit to a Radiologist to have an MBA? Is there a relation to health care management? Private practices? Would that help if I wanted to start an open-mri or other facilities? I'm really interested in an MBA as well as an MD, and would like any opinions on the matter, as well as suggestions of books/sites to read about med school, business school, and about doctors with MBAs. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, JRJ.

Congrats on your acceptances. I think the biggest thing you want to do is just to buckle down and make sure your transition to Cornell is smooth. Cornell has a very rigorous pre-med course path [from what I've heard from friends who went there], so you want to make sure you are on point with all that.

I'm sure there will be others that will come on this thread and say it's a bit early for you to start thinking about med school now ;). Matching at Penn for Radiology is very tough--good school, competitive residency--and I'm sure going to Penn Med gets your foot in the door in so far as it's the home program.

MD/MBA is very tough to get into at Penn. I've heard that many people enter Penn Med thinking it's just a formality to file an app, but since Wharton is an amazing B-school, they really want people with typical pre-MBA experience. This is what I have heard, but there are some Penn Med SDNers on here that probably can give you a complete picture.

RE: your psych major.... I can say that I really think major doesn't matter for med school--your grades do! To bring this post full circle, DO WELL IN SCHOOL! :) I know it's a "duh" statement, but it is easier said than done.

Lux

Lux Aeterna said:
MD/MBA is very tough to get into at Penn. I've heard that many people enter Penn Med thinking it's just a formality to file an app, but since Wharton is an amazing B-school, they really want people with typical pre-MBA experience. This is what I have heard, but there are some Penn Med SDNers on here that probably can give you a complete picture.

This is absolutely true. My advice to the op is to get experience in buisness or something related (dual major with psyc?) and get some real world experience before coming here if you're really interested in the MD/MBA program.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am also currently at penn. the professional programs make it seem like getting into wharton is no big thing, but even trying to take adjunct classes there is difficult. i do have one guy in my class getting a jd/mba, but he was accpeted into wharton first and then decided to come to law school. to be honest i don't think there is any way to get into wharton if you are coming straight from undergrad into med school.

JRJ26 said:
Well, I'm a high school senior, recently accepted to colleges(Georgetown, Cornell, Penn State, SUNY Binghamton). I will be a pre-med at Cornell, and I have begun thinking about medical schools that I would like to apply to, and the one that I would consider my "top" choice, at least at the moment. I have found that Penn Med School is my top choice as of now. Firstly, I've heard that it has a very strong Department of Radiology, which is what I'm currently looking into. QUOTE]

Back up. You're 17 and are already 'looking into' radiology? Do you even know what a PET scan is? Go to a SUNY....the kids there are cooler.

actually, i do:) I have an aunt who's a radiologist, and i've basically been shadowing her for a few years know, which is basically how i found out about radiology. Honestly, I know it's too early to say that that's what i want to become, which is why i'm not "dead set" on it. I'm also interested in cardiology(once again, i have an uncle who's a cardiologist, lol. I work with him in health fairs) and pediatrics. I've also shadowed an internist/anesthesiologist, but it didn't really appeal to me. Anyway, I do know that I want to become a doctor.
In relation to the MD/MBA, i'll most likely be majoring in psychology, possibly double majoring in psych and economics. There are a few people from my school who're going to specialized programs(one is going to the Sophie Davis Biomedical School at CCNY and another is going to Brooklyn College BA/MD program), so I'm the "different" one,lol.

In relation to the SUNYs, lol, I got into Binghamton, but it really isn't the place for me. The people ARE interesting at the SUNYs, but Cornell is more my fit. Thanks everyone for the info.

i'd say you're in a great place right now. go to cornell. revisit this question sophomore year of college.

i have mixed feelings about "straight through" programs (this is in reference to your friend). they can limit you somewhat (not allowing one to develop into the fully creative intellectual that they may be). maybe too cookie cutter.

go to a school that's strong in most areas, figure out what you want to learn, what you like, and what you're good at, and excel in those things. Also make sure you take your pre-med reqs (whether at school or over the summer somewhere else).

i guess the best piece of advice i can give is continually revisit your goals and the path you think will take you there. especially if you want to do something a little off the beaten path:)

Congrats on choosing Cornell...great school, from what my friends tell me.

I agree with the above posters...just concentrate on doing well in the first 3 years of college for now. Major isn't important, as long as you do the pre-med pre-reqs. And don't forget to have fun!

As for what residency you want to go into, or where you want to go to med school, etc., don't worry too much about that now.