Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Penn MSTP

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by khmerwhat, Apr 5, 2004.

1. khmerwhat

khmerwhat Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I was hoping for the forum's impressions of the Penn MSTP, based on your own experience as an interviewer/accepted student who did not attend/accepted student who did attend in addition to observations you have heard from others.

In ref to the medical curriculum, the people (students personalities and faculty), research strength in cell biology and cell growth/proliferation/death, and quality and integration of the program.

Are the students there ultra intense, in general?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Habari

Habari Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

what other places are you considering? it helps to compare research programs.

4. khmerwhat

khmerwhat Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

penn versus case western (where I loved the medical curriclum and people)

5. Primate

Primate Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wasn't going to comment but.....

I did my first two years as Case and then transfered to Penn (a whole 'nother story), so here goes with my opinion (always a set-up for discord):

Case and Penn now both have "organ system" based curricula.

Penn students are more intense than Case students, GENERALLY (read that how you will - there are certain advantages to intensity).

The research opportunities at Penn are far, far greater than at Case - depth and breadth in most fields. Cell and Molecular are very strong here.

The clinical opportunities at Penn are much better than at Case (you'll see more zebras, if that's what you want). You'll be a good doc from either place, but you'll see alot more at the Penn affiliates.

I obviously liked Case and chose it over a number of other MSTPs. However, although I initially came to Penn for reasons other than professional (and not because I wanted to leave Case, necessarily), I am happy to be here. The opportunities for a budding physician scientist are just too darn good.

This is my personal experience and preference with regard to these two fine institutions, so please no pro-Case flaming. As I said, I liked it well enough to pick it the first time around and think that no one would go wrong going there. Penn is just right for me.

6. niema

niema Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello!!

I have to say that I absolutely loved Penn when I interviewed there. Aside from having first-rate research/clinical opportunities Penn struck me as a great place to spend the next 7.5 (or so they tell me) years of my life. I interviewed with the NGG and I have to confess that the professors were not only extraordinarily brilliant and all that stuff, but very pleasant and extremely excited to be at Penn. While talking with studens,I got a hint of a very cooperate atmosphere as well as collaborative endevours. Plus, as I have been recently shopping for apts in Philly, the location seems awesome as well. I don't mean to downplay the research/clinical activities of Penn or any other university, but I am a firm believer in that all one really needs to pursue a wonderful PhD is a good research university plus a great advisor. You can find that combonation at a lot of places, and certainly at Case and Penn. Although I never applied to Case, Penn definately had everything else I was looking for from an MD/PhD program and I will be attending. I hope you figure out what's right for you.

Best wishes:)