Penn Pre-Health Specialized Studies Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anondukie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping that someone who has successfully interviewed for Penn's Specialized Studies program (or any other sufficiently similar formal post-baccalaureate program) could give me some pointers on how to approach the interview and improve my odds of acceptance. I'm very keen on making the most of this second chance and I want to do my best to ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I was hoping that someone who has successfully interviewed for Penn's Specialized Studies program (or any other sufficiently similar formal post-baccalaureate program) could give me some pointers on how to approach the interview and improve my odds of acceptance. I'm very keen on making the most of this second chance and I want to do my best to ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible. Thanks!
As a current applicant to this program myself, unfortunately I can't give you firsthand advice, but from what I've seen on past threads, the interview is more relaxed, brief, and casual than people had expected. They ask you basic questions like "why medicine?" and "what do you hope to get out of this program?" I hope this helped a bit.

Thanks Garurumon (that's a great name by the way!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Garurumon (that's a great name by the way!)
Glad to be of some help. Oh, I forgot to mention in my earlier post, and maybe you've already done the interview so you can disregard this point: If you live far from Philly (like me), admissions will opt for the phone interview. Whether you'll be interviewing over the phone or in person plays a factor in how you present yourself. Personally I'd like to do it in person, because I don't feel comfortable with expressing myself without body language, but it can't be helped. In both bases, though, it's best to sound confident, natural, and sincere without being too uptight, hasty, or nervous.

Since you're a step ahead of me, I have some of my own questions for you, if you don't mind answering them:
-What are your stats?
-When did you complete and when did you get the decision?
As for my case, the application's almost complete except for sending standardized test scores. I'm a senior set on taking the MCAT for the first time on May 6, so I'm debating on whether I should submit the application sooner with the SAT, or wait till the MCAT score comes out on June 7 and then submit.

My grades weren't stellar (GPA around 3.3 with a steep downward trend due to extenuating circumstances in my final semester of college) but I did have good standardized test scores (SAT not MCAT). I got the invite within 2 weeks of submitting a completed application. I would submit sooner rather than later. Good luck!

My grades weren't stellar (GPA around 3.3 with a steep downward trend due to extenuating circumstances in my final semester of college) but I did have good standardized test scores (SAT not MCAT). I got the invite within 2 weeks of submitting a completed application. I would submit sooner rather than later. Good luck!
My stats are about the same as yours, though with an upward trend. I've decided to send the SAT; the 2 week turnaround you mentioned seems particularly encouraging (most programs take 4-6 weeks). Unfortunately, it's been a hassle trying to get together my SAT scores. I don't remember my essay score and I don't have a hard copy report on me, so I left it blank. I don't to risk misinforming the committee. I'll have to fill out an archive request form to send the CollegeBoard report, pay the fee, retrieve my test date, registration number, etc. Did you have to do that too? (Assuming that you've been out of high school for a while as well) I wish I had kept my score report all those years ago. :/

What term did you enroll for? I applied for fall.

I should have said earlier that my SAT issue is resolved. Now I'm just waiting for the possibility of an interview. :)

Interviewed with Penn and got accepted 2 weeks later. Interview was super standard. They had a list of questions to ask me: why make the change, what are your strengths/weaknesses, why will you make a great doctor, what is the biggest ethical issue in healthcare today, why penn, what did you like most about our program.

Hello!
I'm thinking about applying to the program fairly soon! Does anyone know if it's a rolling admission? And how much was the application fee?
Thank you :)

Hello!
I'm thinking about applying to the program fairly soon! Does anyone know if it's a rolling admission? And how much was the application fee?
Thank you :)
Yes, even though there are deadlines for each enrollment term, they accept on a rolling basis. So the earlier you apply, the better. The fee is $75.

Received an acceptance today!
Congratulations! That's fantastic! You put in the hard work, and it paid off. Now, keep grinding! The journey is only beginning.

Would you be willing to share your stats for those of us who have applied and are still waiting on news? Thanks! :D