===Penn State Class of 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all! I just got my big acceptance envelope today!!!!!!!!!

I am an OOS (from NJ) and interviewed 12/2.

I am totally torn now, and I don't know where to go (Penn vs. Temple vs. NJMS). I'll probably be going to 2nd look weekend to have a better feel!

I know this was asked above but i don't think anyone answered... but does anyone know what the average step 2 USMLE board scores are for penn? They don't post their info on us news, so it's hard to know. Their match list looks awesome though!

This acceptance came totally as a surprise to me. I completely expected to be rejected or at least put on hold/waitlisted. I didn't think my 2 interviews were that great at all, but I guess that just goes to show you!!

anyways, yay!

Members don't see this ad.

This acceptance came totally as a surprise to me. I completely expected to be rejected or at least put on hold/waitlisted. I didn't think my interviews were that great at all, but I guess tht just goes to show!!

anyways, yay!

That's good to hear. I interviewed on January 8th and didn't feel that great about my interviews (especially one of them) either. Of course I know that you can never tell for sure what they thought of you until the news comes in the mail, but it lifts my spirit to hear you say that you got in when you weren't expecting to.

I am an OOS (from NJ) and interviewed 12/2.

I am totally torn now, and I don't know where to go (Penn vs. Temple vs. NJMS). I'll probably be going to 2nd look weekend to have a better feel!

I know this was asked above but i don't think anyone answered... but does anyone know what the average step 2 USMLE board scores are for penn? They don't post their info on us news, so it's hard to know. Their match list looks awesome though!

This acceptance came totally as a surprise to me. I completely expected to be rejected or at least put on hold/waitlisted. I didn't think my 2 interviews were that great at all, but I guess that just goes to show you!!

anyways, yay!

Congrats! Go to PSU!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nubs- Isn't your wife being induced on Monday?

:luck: :D :luck: :D :luck:

Nubs- Isn't your wife being induced on Monday?

:luck: :D :luck: :D :luck:

Melissa!!

Yup...going in on Monday. I don't think I have ever been this excited. I can't wait to meet her!!

So how did the OHSU interview go for you? Thanks for your support too! I told my wife about your story of being induced and she is hoping that the same thing happens to her. Still hoping that you end up picking Penn State, because I am fairly sure we would be friends. Have a great weekend everyone, and congratulations to ICONFETTI!!! You should definitely pick Penn State...it is way better than any other school ;) !

Nubs

hey everyone-

congrats to the new acceptances!

just thought i'd let you all know it seems the weekend of 4/28 is going to be second look. i'll keep you updated if anything changes. again...if there is anything you'd like to see/hear for second look, post it and i'll bring it up to the coordinators.

nubs, good luck to you and your wife monday!

with regards to board scores, i think we tend to score around the national average but i don't know exact numbers. sorry i can't be of more help with that.

Melissa!!

Yup...going in on Monday. I don't think I have ever been this excited. I can't wait to meet her!!

So how did the OHSU interview go for you? Thanks for your support too! I told my wife about your story of being induced and she is hoping that the same thing happens to her. Still hoping that you end up picking Penn State, because I am fairly sure we would be friends. Have a great weekend everyone, and congratulations to ICONFETTI!!! You should definitely pick Penn State...it is way better than any other school ;) !

Nubs

I am so excited for you Nubs (and Mrs. Nubs)!! OHSU was really nice, as was Portland. I have no idea where I'll end up, but Penn is still a front-runner. This is such an exciting time for you. I will try to pass down some of the advice I was given. Worst advice: sleep now because it is the last time you will get a chance (don't worry, after 3 months or so your baby should get a routine). Best advice: Ignore what everyone tells you to do. Just be in survival mo for the first 6 weeks or so and do whatever you need to in order to survive. If your baby only sleeps in the car seat, so be it. My baby needed constant rocking so we purchased a crib that automatically rocked. He slept in it for the first two months (and in his swing for the month after that). When he was 3 months old we started placing him in the crib and letting him cry it out for 10 min at a time. Now he sleeps well. Oh, and get your wife a "push present" as a thank you for all the work she will do.

Wow, this is such an amazing time for you. I read somewhere; "to decide to have a child is to decide to have your heart walk around outside your body for the rest of your life." It is true.

Luck, love, and more luck,

-Melissa, Hubby, and baby Abel

P.S.- No one answered my question about daycare…does anyone know more info about on-campus daycare?

Melissa...

Wow...thanks so much for your support and advice. We really do appreciate it. I wish you the best of luck with your decision making process. I am sure of all the schools on your list you will have the choice of anyone that you want. I will be posting pictures shortly after her arrival.

Nubs, Jen, and Lilly

P.S. So where is everyone out there coming from to attend Penn State?

I am coming from Oregon!!!

I am coming from Idaho (by way of Oregon).

Congrats to all who've gotten the thick envelope!

To those who got a "we'll think about it" letter... keep the hope alive. There should be at least some waitlist movement this year.

Best,
FD

PS: To the person who asked about PBL-- can't remember who it was-- it's kind of variable how each person feels about PBL. Some facilitators are better than others and some students do better in that type of learning environment than others. The grading may seem kind of arbitrary sometimes (depends on the facilitator) but I've had awful and great ones so far... and have still learned a lot. I think the idea, other than learning the pathways behind the disease, is to prepare you for team discussions of cases you'll see when in 3rd and 4th year (and beyond, of course). Whenever you throw other people into your learning equation, and they aren't your hand-picked study group, you run into personality clashes and frustration. But you also have a lot of positive experiences, too.

Coming from Illinois!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be coming from Arizona (San Diego origonally).

Also, Nubs is becoming a daddy today! Wish him luck :luck: :love: :luck:

hey everyone-

just thought i'd let you all know it seems the weekend of 4/28 is going to be second look. i'll keep you updated if anything changes. again...if there is anything you'd like to see/hear for second look, post it and i'll bring it up to the coordinators.

with regards to board scores, i think we tend to score around the national average but i don't know exact numbers. sorry i can't be of more help with that.

During my interview day (I'm sure others were similar) we never saw the gross lab, any lecture halls, the on campus residence, or the campus fitness center. Could you try to set up a more extensive tour? It would be much appreciated.

I'm coming from NE Pennsylvania.

Anyone else find it weird that I’m the only instater on here?

Can a student at Penn State comment about the facilities for students. The tour did not include the anatomy lab, classrooms, student lounges, or anything of the sort. Where exactly are these places, was it in the building where we met to check in, etc... Are the classrooms available 24/7 for the students to use as study areas? Also, can someone comment about the housing? Are the on-campus apartments nice/comfortable, or more dorm-feeling? Any info about the actual med school facilities would be great, since the interview tour mainly focused on the hospital. Thank you so much,

hey everyone-

Free t-shirts would be nice! :D

I just received an interview and I have a couple questions !! Did anyone get a chance to see a match list or talk about their USMLE scores???

they have match lists somewhere that i've seen before (12 in anesth and like, 10 in derm)...
i have no idea about usmle scores though :( :(

After reading the student interview reviews, I am really excited to interview.. I kinda want to be in a quite environment during medical school and I think I'd love the area. Congrats to all!!

Well...here she is. And thanks for the supportive message Zimmie!! If you end up there, I can't wait to meet you. Here is the newest person I know...

Lillian Ruth M.

Attachments

• Lilly 0467.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 147
Well...here she is. And thanks for the supportive message Zimmie!! If you end up there, I can't wait to meet you. Here is the newest person I know...

Lillian Ruth M.

:clap: Congratulations Nubs! Shes really cute! :clap:

Lillian Ruth M.

Congratulations Nubs! She's a gorgeous little girl! I hope you and your whole family are doing well. Wow, what an exciting year for you... Becoming a Dad and a med student within a few months! Well congratulations again, and best wishes!

congrats on the beautiful baby girl!
Lillian is a beautiful name!

Lillian Ruth M.

Congrats, nubs!

they have match lists somewhere that i've seen before (12 in anesth and like, 10 in derm)...
i have no idea about usmle scores though :( :(

I wish there were 10 in derm. That UCSF Derm is mighty nice though!

Congrats, Nubs!!:clap:

Thanks everyone!! I thought that medical school was my biggest accomplishment up until I met my daughter...this trumps medical school big time. Still looking forward to meeting the rest of you.

And by the way...is anyone really suprised about the match list...Penn State is freakin awesome!!

Yayyyy Nubs!

How big was she? How is your wife doing? CONGRATS!!!!!:D

She was 8lbs 2 oz, beautiful, 19.5 inches long, and wonderful in every way!! I love being a Dad...still weird to say it though.

Nubs

Oh, so I guess I could have posted this earlier, but I forgot--I asked about the second look weekend and got an email saying "Details regarding Second Look Day will be emailed to you within the next week or two."

Hey guys. Thought I'd drop by and offer my prospective as a student at Penn State COM on the preclinical years. LT2 is a classmate of mine, though to be honest I have no idea who she/he is (we're on a first name basis here:laugh:)

Anyway, thought I'd try to answer some of the questions I saw from my own perspective. I'm a little bit less gung-ho about everything in general, but I still love Penn State and think it's a great place to be to learn medicine.

--Someone asked about Californians. We have tons of em. Like 15-20% of our class is from Cali. Second only to Pennsylvania. You won't be alone.

--Someone asked about notes/scribe/video lectures. We don't have it, plain and simple. However, all the professors are required to put their powerpoint presentations online for download at least 48hrs before a lecture and about half of them put up very detailed notes as well. Many of them put up notes that are pretty much a transcript of their lecture. I go to very very few lectures, don't purchace any textbooks, and still pass the tests comfortably. I was concerned about the lack of video or note taking service, but it has not been a problem.

--Someone asked about a typical day. We have good bit of lecture here. If you go to all the classes (and I'd say about 50% of our class goes to absolutely everything while 10% goes to absolutely nothing with the rest somewhere inbetween) you'll probably spend an average of 4 hours a day in lecture. Lectures start anywhere from 8am-1pm on a given day, but probably average 10am. Unfortunately, when something is a required attendance class (where they take attendance and your ass is grass if you're not there), it's usually at 8am.

--Someone asked about lecture v PBL. The PBL curriculum is integrated in to the lecture cirriculum here. Unlike regular lecture you are required to show up for PBL. During your first year, PBL will only happen once every 3-4 weeks. During your second year, it is much more frequent. Some PBL sessions are in the afternoon and some are early in the morning. Material from PBL is tested on the regular exams along with lecture material. Participation and attendance at PBL is graded seprately and subjectively and is subject to the H/HP/P/F system, although this is a point of currently between the students and curriculum directors.

--No one asked about the humanities curriculum here, but they really push it down here so I thought I'd comment. They ask us to do some strange stuff in terms of humanities. We have the patient project, which you probably already know about. Some people enjoy this while others don't get much out of it. We also have sessions on various aspects of health and medicine that require us to do things that might seem foreign to medical school curriculum such as writing poetry and reading Kafka. If that's your bag, more power to you. Personally, I do not like this part of the curriculum and wish they would just bag it all together. I am sure that will never happen though because they really pride themselves on that part of the program. It is, however, an insignificant enough portion of my week that I can overlook it.

--There is a big focus from the powers that be on family and community medicine here. This is understandable as the school exists partially to fill the medical needs including physician training of central pennsylvania. While there are many required activities to make sure we are sufficiently exposed to the field of family medicine (sometimes to what feels like extremes), Penn State students seem to do quite well matching in to all manners of residencies.

--People asked about housing. A good number of students live on campus. The dorms are okay, but nothing spectacular. By the time you guys get here, they will all have been remodeled and will feature new appliances and what not, so you'll have that to your benefit. There are a number of apartments just off campus where you can expect to pay $400-1000/mo in rent depending on whether or not you have a roomate and how big of a place you want. Also, many students buy houses in the area, and finding a townhouse or condominium within 10-12 miles for under $150,000 is not too difficult. If you come here and consider living in Briarcrest Gardens (right across from the medical center), please send me a private message. I can get $100 cash for "referring" another resident if you sign a lease and I will split the cash with you. $50 isn't much, but it's a days grocery shopping or 2 cases of Yuengling Lager. It's better than nothing.

--Someone expressed concerns about the location. Hershey is definitely not the booming metropolis of nearby Philadelphia, Pitsburgh, New York, or Baltimore, but there are definite benefits to living in this community. First, housing is a whole lot cheaper. This of course effects how much you are allowed to borrow, but it will also impact how much you have to pay back! Hershey has a lot of outdoor activities as there are many surrounding parks, trails, streams, golf courses, and the like. If that's your bag, this place may be perfect for you. If you need a nightlife outside of the small "townie" bars of Hershey, Harrisburg has a surprisingly vibrant bar and club scene. The census will tell you that Harrisburgs population is only like 50,000, but the surrounding metro area is something like 700,000, so it's not like no one is here. Most everything you want is here, though not to the degree you would have in a city. We have good resteraunts, though certain ethnic foods are lacking. We have minor league baseball and hockey. Hersheypark has a major music venue that brings in a number of national acts. The jazz scene sucks here:mad:. Museums exist, though not with the grandeur of the big cities. However, if you get homesick for smog and skyscrapers you can drive 3 hours to NYC, or about 1.5 to both Baltimore and Philly.

--If you come to Penn State, you are a student of Penn State and you are eligible to purchace season football tickets. University Park (the main undergraduate campus) is about 1:45 drive to the northwest and features what ESPN college game day called "the best student section in the nation." Tailgating and football are what Penn State does best, so when you get a free weekend (and unless you're totally paranoid about your grades or absolutely gunning for honors, you will have free time during your first year) do yourself a favor and go up to Penn State. Just don't forget to have multiple forms of ID and a patience when trying to get in to the bars. Trust me, it's worth it.

Wow, thanks for the info Green Chimneys! :)

hey green chimneys..thanks for chiming in. it's nice to get different perspectives although i'd agree with pretty much everything you said. maybe i'll see you around sometime although i have no idea who you are either... :)

i attend class probably 85-90% of the time (except for last block where the teachers were not so great). in college, i hardly went to class at all which left me worried about coming here because there seemed to be a lot of class time. it is definitely manageable. and it is med school...we work hard but we are still able to go out and have a good time.

that being said, i don't know so much about harrisburg's "vibrant" bar and club scene but i guess it really depends on what your expectations are. i have to admit, it was better than i thought it would be but still lacking in some aspects.

i like PBL for the most part but as FD said, it truly depends on the facilitator. they will make or break your case more than the members of your group will. grading is a sore spot between students and administration. we argue with them about it every chance we get...so far to no avail.

also, there is something in the works for posting mp3s of recorded lectures online. this hopefully should be in place by the time you guys get here. and as far as a scribe service goes, it's up to the class. i know past classes have put together scribe services but it's always entirely student run.

What actually goes on in PBL? Do you each read a case out loud and then discuss or something?

So after a long debate with myself and a long look at my current financial situation, it looks like second look weekend is not going to be happening for me. I hope the rest of you guys enjoy it and know that I will be there in my mind. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Nubs

So after a long debate with myself and a long look at my current financial situation, it looks like second look weekend is not going to be happening for me. I hope the rest of you guys enjoy it and know that I will be there in my mind. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Nubs

Sad to hear it Nubs. Take care of Lilly and make sure to get lots of pics.

Hi All,
Congrats to all of you who got in. Any advice for someone on hold??? i havent heard a thing---ive sent a few update letters. any advice would be appreciated. i really really want to be ur guys' classmate :)

I just heard great news... my girlfriend of 3 years was just accepted to the Penn St Graduate Program in Hershey. So my consideration of Penn St. just jumped exponentially! I've had a renewed interest in my acceptance to Penn St. (which was always there, but finances were an issue) and had some questions. Does anyone know how many O.R.'s are in the University Hospital and how many beds as well? I'm real interested in anesthesia and noticed that there is quite the list of attendings which is a great thing, as well as the #30 something spot on the NIH funding for anesthesia! I'm real excited, possibly future classmates with some of you on here?

Has anyone made a facebook group for the 2011 class at PSU?

I'm real interested in anesthesia and noticed that there is quite the list of attendings which is a great thing, as well as the #30 something spot on the NIH funding for anesthesia!

We match a lot of people in to anesthesia, and a lot of them stay here at Penn State. It's a pretty good program.

what actually goes on in PBL? Do you each read a case out loud and then discuss or something?

A handfull of you all get together with an attending, a resident, or an upper level student facilitator and they give you some hypothetical situation where a patient comes to the hospital with some symptoms. You try to figure out what it is and then they give you more information. This keeps going on until you figure out what the disease is. Then you burn the rest of your afternoon resarching that disease and treatment in gorey detail in your books/the internet to come back and discuss it with the group another day. Then after you've sufficiently wasted enough time, they don't even tell you the right answers. PBL is nice in theory and is a great learning tool for a lot of people, but the way its run is a pain in my ass. Also, PBL caters to extroverted people, which is probably great for most of you, but a nightmare for others. If you go to the second look day, I think they intend to put you through an abreviated mock PBL or something to that effect, so you can see how it works.

We match a lot of people in to anesthesia, and a lot of them stay here at Penn State. It's a pretty good program.

A handfull of you all get together with an attending, a resident, or an upper level student facilitator and they give you some hypothetical situation where a patient comes to the hospital with some symptoms. You try to figure out what it is and then they give you more information. This keeps going on until you figure out what the disease is. Then you burn the rest of your afternoon resarching that disease and treatment in gorey detail in your books/the internet to come back and discuss it with the group another day. Then after you've sufficiently wasted enough time, they don't even tell you the right answers. PBL is nice in theory and is a great learning tool for a lot of people, but the way its run is a pain in my ass. Also, PBL caters to extroverted people, which is probably great for most of you, but a nightmare for others. If you go to the second look day, I think they intend to put you through an abreviated mock PBL or something to that effect, so you can see how it works.

Wow sweet, thanks for the info. By the way, odd question, but I couldn't for the life of me remember which school I went to that had a Starbucks in the Hospital lobby... was it Penn St? (I feel like it was, just hard to remember exactly)

Wow sweet, thanks for the info. By the way, odd question, but I couldn't for the life of me remember which school I went to that had a Starbucks in the Hospital lobby... was it Penn St? (I feel like it was, just hard to remember exactly)

It is Penn State. I heard the line is humongous on the weekdays.

It is Penn State. I heard the line is humongous on the weekdays.

Haha, excellent. I remember thinking that I was really impressed with the school on the tour when I happened to see the Starbucks. Not the biggest thing in the world, but just wanted to assure myself that it was Penn St which really blew me away! I'm really excited now. Did anyone get to see the anatomy lab or lecture halls? Any current Penn Staters wanna fill us in with the quality of these mysterious facilities?

I'm not sure if this has been spoken about before, but how easy or difficult is it to become a PA resident during MS1 and then get in-state tuition prices for MS2-MS4? I suppose I would have to get a PA license, transfer my car to a PA insurance and new license plates, but what else?